Behaviourist Needed - Essex area!

4 posters

Go down

Behaviourist Needed - Essex area! Empty Behaviourist Needed - Essex area!

Post by missrcn1976 Wed Jan 22 2014, 14:44

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum and I have come on here in desperation (I don't mean that in a bad way!) as I need to find a very good, receommended Behaviourist/Trainer for my 4 year old Staffy Archie. I've looked online and seen several that are in the surrounding area but I've had not so good experiences with trainers/behaviourists before and so this time I really want to find the right one.
I rescued my Staffy when he was apporx 4 weeks old. The story I was told was that his mum died giving birth to him and 11 other pups (he was the only survivor) and the owner didn't want to bother with just one pup. I have been brought up with dogs all my life but this was my first bull breed. I'll be honest and say that I probably have spoilt him over the years but he is a very loving dog and is quick to respond to training. My main issues are 1) he was previously fine with other dogs until last year when he was attacked over the park by another dog. Ever since then he displays fear aggression whenever we encounter other dogs on walks so it not only means that to other dog owners he appears as 'the aggressive Staffy' but that he can no longer go off the lead which is what he really needs. I have tried all sorts to change this behaviour (food treats do nothing) but to no avail. I get extrememly upset now when on walks to the point where I absoutely hate walking him and tend to go on routes where we're unlikely to meet other dogs or I take him out very late at night. It also distresses me that to strangers he must appear like an extremely aggresive, dangerous dog and the thought that the wrong person may get the wrong idea and he could possibly be taken away from me absolutely kills me. So I need to get this sorted out ASAP.
The second issue I have is that he has developed behavioural problems at home, mainly since I had my first child in the later part of 2012. He is fine with the baby (no aggression at all) but he is now constantly vying for my attention and competing with the baby and my partner for my attention which involves barking alot/humping my leg and running off with the baby or my partners possesions like socks, shoes, toys etc and destroying them (for the first two years of Archie's life it was just me and him). His behaviour at home is making homelife difficult and frustrating so we need to get this resolved so that not only are we happy but that more importantly, Archie is happy.
I totally accept my part in his behaviour deterioration (I have probably spoilt him and treated him more like a child than a dog) but I love him to bits and really want to get this resolved. I really hope that someone on here reads this and knows of the right behaviourist who can help us.
Thanks for reading.
Rebecca

missrcn1976
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Behaviourist Needed - Essex area! Empty Re: Behaviourist Needed - Essex area!

Post by Kathy Wed Jan 22 2014, 18:17

Sorry I wouldn't know who to suggest in your area, maybe have a word with your vet to see if they can recommend anyone local to you.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Jan 23 2014, 10:04

I just read your post and I have to say I admire your determination, thank you for rescuing and sticking with it. It sounds like Archie had a tough ride in his early days and I can tell you love him very much Smile I can't help with behavourists as I don't know any in the Essex area but if you want I'll have a google and try to help.

I really hope you find one for Archie he sounds lovely Big Grin. You're not alone on here owning a dog aggressive staffie if you have a little read through you'll see quite a few posts with people in the same position as you and Archie. I think sometimes after they've been attacked it's just inbuilt into them to attack first and ask questions later, its a shame but I know it can be managed because I've seen posts on here where people have done so.

The other issue with the vying for attention, some of it sounds like playing and excess energy to me. How often do you walk him and for how long?

Axl will often run around with my shoe if he's not been out for long enough, or he'll whine and nudge me and keep on until I pay him attention. Could it be an exercise issue?
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by missrcn1976 Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:19

Thanks for the replies so far. Debs01 I agree with you that the attention thing probably does have alot to do with not enough exercise. Before the attack we would be over the park at least twice a day, he would be off the lead chasing a ball for a good hour each time. Now I cant let him off the lead at all so he just gets 45 minute walks (with me and the baby in the pram) and play time in tbe garden. He absolutely loves to run and chase which he just cant do on a lead. I cant even take him to agility classes because of the aggression with other dogs.i really dont want to have to muzzle him as I think it further enforces the stereotype that Staffys have but of course if that helps then I will try anything.

missrcn1976

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:27

In the mean time do you have a long training lead you could use for walks ? This way he at least gets a bit of a run around while you still have him under control on the long line. This would also help to build up his trust again and confidence around other dogs.

Do you know anyone with a very calm dog that he could maybe walk with then perhaps try him with some play time with this dog. This will also build his confidence again around other dogs. A labrador would be a good choice of walking buddy as they are usually very calm.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:34

I did post something but then realised you're not in the UK :S so sorry if that caused any confusion and my post suddenly disappeared!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by missrcn1976 Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:37

I wanted to get a training lead but im wary of how much control I'll have over him when we see another dog so at the moment I've got him on a fairly short lead. My friends dog is ideal to walk with Archie, plus they used to play together when they were both younger but she lives about 3 hours drive away so its not ideal. I will keep on this though as Archie is with me for life.

missrcn1976

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by missrcn1976 Thu Jan 23 2014, 11:38

Debs01 I am in the UK Smile

missrcn1976

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Feb 05 2014, 15:20

Sorry I must have missed this reply!

Ooh in that case there is a brilliant behaviourist his name is Adam Spivey he's in Southend but covers Essex and he works with bull breeds and rotties mainly. I've heard great things about him so you could check him out his number is 07809 739853. He's a really nice guy as well Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Feb 08 2014, 17:35

I sympathise about the da. Oz is very DA we have a flexi lead for the park so he can have a run around but I can't let him off lead or near another dog, it's a real Iain but we don't know his history so it's something that we just have to deal with, I too would love a behaviourist to help me
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down