Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!!

4 posters

Go down

Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!! Empty Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!!

Post by Thor2513 Sun Jan 12 2014, 18:38

I have an 11 month old Staffy named Thor. He will turn 1 year old on February 5th. When he hits a year old I want to switch him over to a raw diet. I have never fed my dogs raw before but he is so picky with his diet and does not seem to enjoy his dry food which is called Merrick a high protein grain free food. I feel that raw is the best/healthiest choice especially with how popular that it seems to be with Staffy owners. Thor weight is just around 50pounds. I am looking for advice on what is the best way to start I know fasting the day before is important but I also do not want to start off with the wrong kind of meat. I have done much research on this and it seems like chicken is the best to start off with but again, I am not sure how much. I do not want to overload his stomach and make him sick as well. If I could please get some advice on the best raw diet foods for my puppy that would be great.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

RJ
Thor2513
Thor2513
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Thor
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!! Empty Re: Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!!

Post by Steve Sun Jan 12 2014, 18:45

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!! Empty Re: Advice on starting raw feeding 1 year old pup!!!

Post by Sazzle Sun Jan 12 2014, 19:05

I have moved your post into the raw food forum Smile 

Yes chicken is best to start with for the first week or two, then introduce new meats one at a time, this helps to identify any intolerance's they may have.

Some people do say to fast the day before but I didn't, Daisy had kibble for tea then started on raw the next morning.

Anymore questions just ask  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Sun Jan 12 2014, 19:12

I think all has been said so far plus that great link steve posted,anything else you need to know just ask.

I fed kibble to my pup then give him raw next day without a problem,i dont honestly feel there is a need to like many others dont.
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12 2014, 20:00

you didn't need to wait until pupster was a year old Wink I swap my pups over at 8 weeks old and the process is the same regardless of age.

A couple of links for you

www.preymodelraw.com
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down