Growl and a snap. Any advise?

4 posters

Go down

Growl and a snap. Any advise? Empty Growl and a snap. Any advise?

Post by staffysam Wed Dec 18 2013, 12:28

Afternoon all.

A new member needing some advise. I have a 5 month old bitch, who, for the first time last night growled and snapped at me last night. Which took me by surprise, as she has never done if before (and we had just returned from training classes) She was sitting on the sofa and I went to move her off by moving her of with my hands, but just before my hands were going to touch her she growled and snapped at me. Is this just normal playful behaviour for puppies or could it be seen as aggressive? Throughout he day, she had been playing with other staffy's and was extremely tired. The reason this is a problem is she does come in regular contact with young children.

Any advise would be great.

staffysam
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Maisie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Growl and a snap. Any advise? Empty Re: Growl and a snap. Any advise?

Post by DafnPuppet Wed Dec 18 2013, 12:51

I wouldn't worry too much about this behaviour with a 5 month old pup.
It sounds to me like she is testing the boundaries a little with you, a normal part of her development.
Maybe she was tired and grumpy after her classes and had got comfy on your sofa for a kip.

It is hard to give advice without knowing you or your dog but with this behaviour, generally you should ignore the challenge and carry through the action as if she didn't react at all, just sweep her onto the floor and tell her to sit there. If she challenges you again, follow through and tell her to sit with a sterner tone (not louder).

She should learn that it is your sofa and she may only be on there if you allow it. Not the other way around.
DafnPuppet
DafnPuppet
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Dec 18 2013, 13:02

Its not aggression as such with a pup that age but as said above pushing boundaries! Just be consistent with your training and firm when needed and you'll be fine. Don't worry x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by staffysam Wed Dec 18 2013, 13:04

Thanks for that.
I'm probably being a bit dramatic and as you say just carry on. I think its as she never did it before I was a bit taken back from it. Its more of the after action from me I was concerned with as I wasn't sure the best reaction from myself and feel like she "got away with it".

Thanks again

staffysam

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Maisie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18 2013, 14:01

I remember the first time Darcy did this Sam, I was taken aback but now know she was being a teenager and pushing, as saz says be consistent and she'll soon learn what's acceptable and what's not Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Dec 18 2013, 16:43

I reckon, they think they humans and want what we have too, so tend to push the boundaries, so long as you are firm with her, she will be fine and learn from it. Having said that, does she have a comfy mat to lie on ?
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 18 2013, 16:50

I think she was probably over tired, and had made herself comfortable - she didn't want to move & was grumbling at you. I take it she didn't make contact? Believe me, if she really wanted to bite you, you'd have been bitten, they really are that fast!

As already said above, just carry on with whatever you wanted to do, but give her a stern "No!" and maybe give a couple of easy obedience commands just to reinforce the fact that you are in charge of the sofa!

When you think about it, the only way a dog can tell us that they're unhappy/uncomfortable with something is to growl and/or air snap. It isn't aggression, it's like you getting the ump with someone who's trying to get you to do something you don't want to, only you can use speach!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down