jo garnett
fiona'n'poppy
6 posters

Go down

Is this normal? Empty Is this normal?

Post by suzieJ Sat Dec 07 2013, 10:08

Hi,
I'm feeling really down at the moment.
Lucy is only 13 weeks and I am afraid I'm loosing all affection for her.

When I try to pick her up she bites/ when I ignore her she grabs hold of my cloths and nearly pulls me over.
If I try to take my skirt out of her mouth she goes for my hands.
And then there are times that she will fall asleep under my chin and is so... adorable.

I have trained her to sit, lay down and she understands the meaning of  NO! - but none of these commands work when she is in this mood.

I'm worried about my own feelings as I've near once had these mixed feeling with my other dogs ( staff, doberman) One minutes I'm saying to myself - find a good home for her while she is young; and the next I'm saying.. give her another chance as she is only a puppy.

I'm not exaggerating here; this morning I got out of bed thinking " oh no, not another day! "
suzieJ
suzieJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy & Franky
Dog(s) Ages : Lucy 4 yrs Franky 3 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Is this normal? Empty Re: Is this normal?

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 12:07

Oh dear I do feel for you I at times felt like pulling my hair out, but persisted and Vin is now over 2yrs and is a sweetheart.
Perhaps just ignore her as a reaction from you and she will think its a game which you probably know if you have had experience with dogs.
I find with a staff ignoring them is something they detest being a very human connected breed.
Please try and stick with it as she is still very young and testing you, I hope things start to improve very soon xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 16:08

It's totally normal!

They go through a stage when everything you do seems to be totally ignored. She's testing you, that's all.

That sounds easy for me to say, and hard to actually put up with, doesn't it?

As lonG as you stay consistent & patient you will win in the end!

Do you give her 'time out'? If you tell her "No", and ignore her & she carries on, don't say another Word, just pick her up & put her out of the room for a minute until she's calm. Then let her back in, but keep it calm & quiet so that she doesn't get carried away again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 16:24

Big hugs Is this normal? 3198918699 it is difficult at times and I remember despairing it was tough, but I promise it really does get better Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sat Dec 07 2013, 17:36

Thanks - you have brought me a little comfort as I thought I was becoming  really evil Sad at wits end 
I'd like to add... trying to pick Lucy up is very hard - as soon as I get near her she runs somewhere else or dives onto the settee and disappears around the back of it, and when I have caught her its really too late as she has forgotten all about it.

I tell you I have such a lot of love which she doesn't seem to want and it makes be really sad broken heart 
suzieJ
suzieJ
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 17:53

If i got rid of my animals everytime i fell out of love i wouldn't have any left lol its normal, shes pushing you as pups do and she wont be perfect no dog is. Just push on through cause at the end of the day you bought her, you need to stand by her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 21:37

Sue, I can only echo what everyone above has said.

Puppies are gorgeous, they're the cutest things on god's earth, but at the same time they can try our patience to the very limit!

Lucy is very young and is probably still struggling to make sense of the world. Playing is all important to puppies, and this will include using their mouths/teeth to hang on to what is important to them, and is very, very rarely "biting" as understood as an aggressive reaction. A sharp yelp from you and turning your back when her nip is too hard will teach her bite inhibition - eventually!

Don't give up! She will learn how far she can go in playing.

Ref chasing her around the settee when you want to pick her up, please let us know why and under what circumstances you need to do this, and hopefully we can help further.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiona'n'poppy Sat Dec 07 2013, 22:16

Im going through the same with my 15 week puppy, so i know how you are feeling, there are times when i think she would be better off being rehomed. But apparently this is normal to a more or less degree.

fiona'n'poppy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 21/8/13 14 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 22:26

Fiona, you are quite correct that puppies can be, and normally are despite their cuteness and adorableness, very hard work! Very much like baby humans in fact in that they can't know how to behave until they are (kindly) taught.

Back to top Go down

Post by fiona'n'poppy Sat Dec 07 2013, 22:33

If Hayley's puppy is behaving like mine, when i go to pick her up when she is biting at clothes or jumping and running like a mad thing, its difficult to pick her up to give her time out, and if i stand still she charges at you tugging and biting clothes.

fiona'n'poppy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07 2013, 22:50

Sue and Fiona, have you read http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting ?

If not, please do - you may find it helpful.

ALL puppies will "bite" - it's not aggressive but natural, they explore with their mouths first of all, and it is all in play. Their mother and siblings will teach them a certain amount of "bite inhibition" whilst in the nest - after that it is up to us to teach them what is acceptable.

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sun Dec 08 2013, 08:10

Hayley wrote:If i got rid of my animals everytime i fell out of love i wouldn't have any left lol its normal, shes pushing you as pups do and she wont be perfect no dog is. Just push on through cause at the end of the day you bought her, you need to stand by her.
Agree with everything Hayley says.
jo garnett
jo garnett
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sun Dec 08 2013, 10:59

linda Sorry I might not have made myself clear... I don't chase Lucy around the settee, doing this would make it into a game; plus I wouldn't stand much of a chance in catching her in any case.

As for read the Puppy Bite Inhibition, I have read this numerous times. I find the Yelping/ growling only excites her more. As for turn away to ignore her, that is easily done when she is just jumping up! - But when she has got a hold of your clothing it would mean dragging her around with you which will mean she would be in the same position as before. Smile

Fiona "Are you bringing up the same dog as me"Laughing
I'm glad you have come-out... Wink (In saying that you are having the same thoughts).
I know you will agree with me that having doubts about owning your puppy doesn't mean that you don't want her.
When I wrote this topic I was prepared to accept that some holier than thou  would try to ridicule me; suggesting that I shouldn't have considered having a dog with all the hard work involved, but I'm glad to say that they are few and far between. Most have a true understanding that we are wanting what is best for are puppy- to give her the best of life.
Self-doubting in oneself can cause unnecessary heartache and speaking for myself just knowing that someone else is going through this helps a lot.

This site is an ideal place to voice our worries and concerns.thumbs up 

I
suzieJ
suzieJ
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KMDT Sun Dec 08 2013, 13:12

Hi Sue,

I cannot help but write you my story on this topic even you already received lots of support.

We have got Zeus when he was 10 weeks old. He bite me when he was jumping me to get my attention. (He never did with my husband) I was trying to comand "NO" but didn't work so I was worry what if he dosen't stop.... but it worked when I ignore him for while he stop every time. I think paitent is the key he is now almost 5 month old and he completely stop jumping/biting me for more than 3,4 weeks. Good luck! Smile 

KMDT
KMDT
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 31/7/2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sun Dec 08 2013, 13:35

Thank you star 
suzieJ
suzieJ
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Dec 08 2013, 15:04

Oh it's so normal. I remember when debo was like that and only with me. Nothing seemed to work, I felt really down because I was the one who did all the training and he did it to me Crying or Very sad . I was walking everywhere with treats in my pockets so every time he had hold of my clothes I would say " leave" and when he did I gave him treat. And if that didn't work ( sometimes he was in the mad state) I just stood there still and ignore him, waiting when he let go. When he finally did I reward him. It will get better. I promise.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Sun Dec 08 2013, 17:24

Thank you Jola Smile 
suzieJ
suzieJ
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by fiona'n'poppy Sun Dec 08 2013, 21:00

I know most puppy owners go through this with their little bundles of fur, but it still does not help make it easier when you are going through it.

Sue think we must be bringing up the same dog lol

We seem to have had a bit better day today, so thats good, hope its another good one tomorrow.

fiona'n'poppy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Sun Dec 08 2013, 22:25

Can't really offer much advice but you are not alone!

Only last week I cried and cried as soon as Roman woke me up as I couldn't face another day of him and his antics.

I am pleased to say we are getting on very well again now though Laughing

kandydragons
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Roman
Dog(s) Ages : 31st August 2013
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Mon Dec 09 2013, 10:22

Kandydragons,

It helps to hear that there are other people going through the same emotions and trials that a young puppy can bring. And to realize that a tactic use on one dog doesn't necessarily work on another.

These last two days has been like I've been in the eye of a storm; where everything has quietened down.
Lucy has been running about but; she hasn't been out-of-control and her snapping has greatly reduce.

May be this might be a coincidence but I am thinking it might be because I have changed her diet???

I was feeding her 2 meals on Orijen 80% protein/ 20% fruit & veg and one meal on Natures Menu- which means no cereals.
At the back of my mind I remember reading that sometimes a high protein diet  doesn't suit some dogs and a lower intake of protein might be more beneficial.
So... I thought  "it cannot harm to give it a try"
Now! Lucy is on Burns Chicken & Lamb for 2 meals a day and 1 of Natures menu. I know its a reduction in protein but if it benefits her than thats all that matters.

She is at the moment running around with her teddy in her mouth then dropping it in favour of her chew, She looks really happy with her tail wagging and that makes me happy Smile

I realize I will have to watch her weight and that she will be having more bowel movements but that doesn't concern me as that is easily sorted.
suzieJ
suzieJ
Is this normal? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down