exciting times coming!

+3
Ben
janey
Laws
7 posters

Go down

exciting times coming! Empty exciting times coming!

Post by Laws Wed Nov 27 2013, 22:56

So as you know we have moved into our house and ziggy is doing so well here and loving all the space! im not sure if you remember a post where we knew we wanted a second dog and have the funds and time and space here so we went to view a pup ten days ago and left a deposit . A beautiful fawn frenchie pup called Radar , she will be coming on the 8th of december , we have a long drive to go and get her but shes totally worth it .

The adivce i wanted from you guys would be , whats the best way to introduce the two ? She will be 13 week and had both her injections , we plan to get there early so it will still be light . Ziggy is crate trained and we will have a crate all set up for her too . Here are some of the ideas i have had .

1) walk ziggy up the road and then take radar to meet him and parallel walk them home .
2) just bring her in (we have brought to the old house an intact male frenchie and they got on fine , just lots of play fighting )
3) get a baby gate put across the kitchen and pop her in there , then let ziggy out his crate so they can sniff through the bars , then zig can come and meet her
4) as my partner is driving , i will holding her some of the way (have a carrier if she wriggles too much) so hopefully my clothes will smell like her , i go in the house first and let him sniff me , then go into the back garden and lead him and her out ?

I want to do this right , but have a concerns , not that zig will be nasty , just that he is a big oaf most of the time and can be abit boisterous .  They will never be left unattended together at any point , and will both be in crates when we go out .

Never had a puppy of my own before so feeling a mixture of totally excitement , nervousness , more excitement and sheer omg its going to be bedlam!

Here some pics of the wee tot , shes so cute!

exciting times coming! Received_m_mid_1384612987830_c463b826cecd551523_5_zps3c5b634e

[/url]exciting times coming! IMG_901813337995_zpsfd791274

exciting times coming! IMG_932483094994_zpsd4e7aec4

exciting times coming! IMG_2140775227981_zps6d2a46b8

exciting times coming! Received_m_mid_1384612987830_c463b826cecd551523_3_zps11f1dd25

and shes being spoilt rotten and shes not here yet!

exciting times coming! IMG_2142354238963_zps154ee6a3

So any advice and support much recieved and appreciated , i know shes not a staff , but i have my zig boy Smile
Thanks
Laws
Laws
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Ziggy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

exciting times coming! Empty Re: exciting times coming!

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27 2013, 23:42

why don't you take Ziggy with you ?? we did when we got Tommy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Thu Nov 28 2013, 05:41

Hey Dave , we would love to take him with us but he wouldn't cope with the almost three hour drive sadly . He can do an hour in a car but goes stir crazy after abit Sad
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Thu Nov 28 2013, 17:38

Anyone have any advice ? Sad
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Nov 28 2013, 17:51

To be honest you sound like you know what you are doing! Neutral ground firstly and see how you go, you can't predict what is going to happen and the chances are things will be fine if not step in! Congrats and I am jealous! Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Nov 28 2013, 17:55

She is gorgeous! Just introduce and expect some getting used to each other time. Be watchful of the size difference as Frechies and Staffs play quite differently. The puppy stage is quite trying so keep reminding yourself that it doesn’t last forever. Really, that can be a life saver. She is a gem!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28 2013, 18:05

Gorgeous pup Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 28 2013, 18:43

I've never had two dogs together so cannot really advize.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 28 2013, 19:23

Sounds like you have it sussed, and oh my what a lil darling she is Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Nov 28 2013, 19:35

ahh she's gorgeous Love Struck ,definitely introduce on neutral ground,make sure that they both have their own space if they need it,to be honest you do sound well prepared Smile ,good luck and lots more pictures Big Grin 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 28 2013, 20:05

Awww she's adorable Love Struck 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Thu Nov 28 2013, 20:19

sorry i seemed abit tense earlier , just feel abit worried as i have been reading so much info and some of it conflicting etc , plus we went to see her 2 weeks ago almost now and still have 9 days yet before we get her so i just keep over thinking it i think .
Zig is a good natured lad , abit of an oaf as i say so i shall be watching them closely .
Ive never done the puppy stage so also abit worried about whats in store .
The breeder said shes clever and now knows her name and how to sit , shes aparently not fazed by anything and loves to be snuggled . Poor ziggy has no idea whats coming!
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sab44 Thu Nov 28 2013, 22:20

Hi there,  congrats on your new pup! She's gorgeous, I love Frenchies :)Everything you have planned sounds great, just a couple of things I would add:
Start crate training her as soon as she gets home, ensure she LOVES going into her crate (do this by feeding her, giving her kongs etc in her crate so she has a positive association with it), my staffie Reggie (now nearly 9 months) still sleeps in his crate at night with the door closed and has a couple of periods of 'downtime' in the crate during the day for an hour or so. Being able to pop her in the crate at times will give you, your partner and Ziggy a break from the puppy madness!
Be very careful around valuable resources such as food and toys, even dogs that get on great with each other can be possessive over these, and even if both dogs have the same toy, you can be sure one of them will want what the other one has! So maybe for the first while don't have toys lying around and make sure food bowls are taken up.
Once you can take Radar out walking, get them both out walking together, this really helped Reggie bond with my other two dogs when we got him.
Look forward to seeing some pics of the two of them together Smile
sab44
sab44
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Laws Thu Nov 28 2013, 22:38

Hey Sab , yes she will have her crate as ziggy has one too and sleeps in there at night with the door closed . We tried taking him upstairs with us but he didn't settle so are keeping the crate . She can walk outside as soon as we pick her up luckily as she will have had both jabs . The plan is for my partner to walk radar up the road and wait on a grassy area and then I will come up with ziggy and meet her there and introduce them and have a little walk then all walk home . I plan to put a baby gate in the kitchen aswel for some damage control and time out aswel as get her used to her crate at night and when we go out . I won't let them leave toys around , but also want them both to be able to play so not sure did I just make sure I supervise and direct one away with a different toy if one wants the other ? And correct any growling or snappig if it occurs ?
Laws
Laws

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sab44 Thu Nov 28 2013, 23:00

Yep with the toys it's all about supervision, if one has a toy and the other  tries to take it, they may get told to back off with a growl or snap, sometimes the other dog will listen, but sometimes they may not and persist in trying to take the toy, and that's when you may get a disagreement. You want to find the balance between letting them learn to communicate with each other and not letting it get to the stage where you have rows breaking out all the time.
What I found worked best for me was:
Give whoever is trying to take the other toy a couple of chances to listen and learn if being told to go away by the other, if not, then redirect them to another toy/activity.
Teach both a good solid 'leave it' to use if one trying to take something from the other.
Also the other thing to realise about these resources it that its not always going to be the same dog that get or holds onto them all the time, what a dog finds valuable to them will often vary according to what they are motivated by at that particular moment. So sometimes a dog may let another take something from them because they weren't really bothered about holding onto it, or may it wasn't worth the effort it would take them to try and keep it, or sometimes they will give it up because they figure the other dog would win if there was conflict over it! Nothing is cut and dry with dog relationships!
sab44
sab44

Status Status :

Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down