Off colour, not eating or drinking?

5 posters

Go down

Off colour, not eating or drinking? Empty Off colour, not eating or drinking?

Post by asa-james Thu Nov 14 2013, 18:25

I've come home from work to a very off colour Lola, my mum came home before me and says she has barely made an effort to say hello. She's usually at the door waiting, but nothing. She's been alone for around five hours today, nothing out of the ordinary for her. Nothing is chewed or missing, there's no accidents anywhere, and her leavings in the garden are normal. She hasn't touched her food, and the water bowl is pretty much as I left it this morning, and she's very lethargic and just not herself. She's not in pain, is moving around well enough, but even rejected a treat and, for a licky dog she won't even go for a cheeky kiss.

She had her jab on Monday (lepto), and the only additions to her food she's had was some mash potato yesterday (had before with no ill effects) and my dad gave her a piece of garlic bread at lunch yesterday. She was fine last night and her usual grumpy self this morning. I'm trying to get in touch with my brother who was here till lunch time to see how she was.

To be honest, the only other time ive seen her like this she was exhausted after a weekend of activities, and after a good nights sleep she was fine, so I'm not overly worried right now, and want to resist calling the emergency vets for financial reasons Sad

Any ideas? Any thing I could temp her to eat or do to get some fluids into her?

Cheers all
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Off colour, not eating or drinking? Empty Re: Off colour, not eating or drinking?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 19:00

Aww poor Lola maybe the garlic bread Asa, try giving her some ice cubes at least she will be having a little fluid that way.
I would take a vets trip though if she isn't any better tomorrow. Hopefully she has just got an upset tum Love Struck 

Back to top Go down

Off colour, not eating or drinking? Empty Re: Off colour, not eating or drinking?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 19:03

Aww poor Lola Off colour, not eating or drinking? 3198918699 I'd give her till tomorrow then get her the vets if there's no improvement. Keep us updated Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Thu Nov 14 2013, 19:14

I've spoken to the vets, they've said rice and chicken and fluids by any means, I carried her to her water (I know, I'm too soft) and she ignored it, but perked up when I got a tennis ball. Two minute play, outside for a wee, and straight back in to her bed, she looks a little perkier after a decent hours kip, so I'm just going to put a film on later and let her rest Smile
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Thu Nov 14 2013, 19:25

poor Lola.i hope she's feeling better tomorrow,if not pop her to your vets Off colour, not eating or drinking? 3198918699 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 19:36

Poor Lola. Obviously you'll be keeping a close eye on her tonight Asa, but if she's no better in the morning you'll know what to do.

If she really hasn't drunk any water then that's the most important thing - I've dribbled water into a dog's mouth using a chicken baster before now! (Not squirting it of course so as not to get it inhaled, but just sloshing into the mouth - most of it will run out again so it could be messy, but at least the dog will swallow a few drops). The ice cube suggestion is a good one as well, if she can be interested in one.

Best wishes to both of you - do let us know how Lola gets on. Off colour, not eating or drinking? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 23:19

I hope she's feeling better in the morning :-)
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 04:19

I hope Lola's feeling much better today Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Fri Nov 15 2013, 07:40

She's about 95% this morning, demolished her food but still not drank a great deal, with the amount she's peed I can't imagine she's dehydrated.
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Nov 15 2013, 08:32

That sounds much better :-) xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 08:32

Glad she's feeling better today hopefully it's just a 24 hour thing Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 09:15

Good to hear Lola is doing better this morning Asa xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 10:28

Sounds like it was just one of those things. They do get us worried, though, don't they?

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Fri Nov 15 2013, 18:07

They do indeed, just got home and I have a fully bouncy daft staffy back Big Grin
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Nov 15 2013, 18:55

I would pop her along to the vets anyway as it sounds like there is something amiss. Explain everything as you have about especially the not wanting to drink issue, this could be an interesting point. Have you tried an ice cube ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri Nov 15 2013, 20:36

Glad to hear she us better what a worry!
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Fri Nov 15 2013, 21:23

Kathy wrote:I would pop her along to the vets anyway as it sounds like there is something amiss. Explain everything as you have about especially the not wanting to drink issue, this could be an interesting point. Have you tried an ice cube ?
i did do last night, she had a couple of licks then walked off. i ended up wetting my hand and letting her lick it off by the early hours (ket getting up to check on her). weve just got back from a walk and shes had a good drink, and devoured some chewy treats, i'm currently getting stared out over a cookie haha Smile
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Nov 15 2013, 21:29

She's definitely on the mend then! Laughing 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 21:43

Oh great news Asa! These doggies do put us through the mill don't they.

So glad Lola is better! thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Nov 16 2013, 12:25

Glad to hear she is feeling better Asa, you had me worried there. Off colour, not eating or drinking? 3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down