fireworks

3 posters

Go down

fireworks Empty fireworks

Post by janfrost489 Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:16

Hi everyone has anyone got any advise on how to keep sasha calm on bonfire night. A firework has just been let off at the back of our house and she has gone mental. I don't think that she was scared but really growled and barked loudly. If that is going to be her reaction its going to be a nightmare on the 5th as last year there were loads of fireworks being let off well after midnight not listening 
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

fireworks Empty Re: fireworks

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:18

The first thing is to keep calm yourself. If you react to it, she'll pick up on it & it'll make her Worse!

You can try Adaptil spray or plug in to keep her mood more even, plus if she gets really stressed a thundershirt may help. You could also try leaving a radio or tv on to help the noise blend in more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:23

I absolutely agree with Caryll, plus I couldn't do better than repeat Nathan's advice on another firework topic - "ignore the fireworks, don't make a fuss and turn up the TV. do not in anyway show the dog your are either bothered by the noise or worried about them, that includes not petting them if they look up after a bang.
in essence try and keep an "everything is normal" feel around the house. "

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:25

Hi caryll where would I get a thundershirt from. Do you think that I should move her crate in with us for the night its in the kitchen at the moment or do you think that maybe she will then expect to sleep in our room. We let her in our room first thing on Saturday morning for a cuddle but every morning since shes been whining in her crate to be let up in the bedroom I dont want to confuse her but dont like to think of her downstairs being stressed alone either Sad
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:30

Thunder shirts can be bought from pets at home jan, just check your local one ham them in stock you can even order online for store pick up if they haven't Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:33

you can buy thunder shirts from pets at home,they come in different sizes,also on e-bay but at this late stage i would'nt trust the post to get it here in time.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:33

janfrost489 wrote:Hi everyone has anyone got any advise on how to keep sasha calm on bonfire night. A firework has just been let off at the back of our house and she has gone mental. I don't think that she was scared but really growled and barked loudly. If that is going to be her reaction its going to be a nightmare on the 5th as last year there were loads of fireworks being let off well after midnight not listening 
This is exactly how Rocky reacts to them, we use the Adaptil spray and a collar with the TV on in the lounge and the radio on in the bedroom for him. Try not to react yourself and stay calm, Rocky is getting a bit better with them now.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 30 2013, 20:49

You can get them from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=thundershirt%20for%20dogs&sprefix=thund%2Cpets%2C490

They're a bit pricey, but many people have reported quite significant improvements in stress levels with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down