lawzee
youngkaiser
Steve
17 posters

Go down

DANGEROUS FOODS Empty DANGEROUS FOODS

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 17:57

Hiya!
I hope this is okay to put this list up here......I thought it may be of use to some people!

Alcohol - Dogs cannot tolerate alcohol, even in small amounts. And the hops in beer are also potentially toxic to dogs. Alcohol ingestion by dogs can result in intoxication, liver failure, coma, seizures and death.

Avocado - Avocado fruit, pits, leaves and the actual plant are all potentially poisonous to dogs, along with other pets like cats, mice, rats, birds, rabbits, horses, cattle and goats, among others. Avocados will trigger fluid accumulation in the lungs and chest, leading to difficulty breathing and death due to oxygen deprivation. Fluid accumulation can also occur in the heart, pancreas and abdomen.

Baby food - Just be careful that the baby food you are feeding doesn’t contain onion powder – some do. See onion poisoning for more information.

Bones - Be aware that cooked bones (eg from the Sunday roast, chicken, turkey, etc) can form sharp splinters when chewed on by a dog. These splinters can lodge in the throat, or worse, the intestines, in which case, they can perforate the lining causing internal bleeding and possibly death.

Broccoli - There has been a bit of confusion where broccoli is concerned. Broccoli is very good for dogs, however, if the daily intake exceeds more than 10% of the animals diet – problems can occur. The toxic substance is isothiocyanate and can cause gastrointestinal irritation.

Cat food - Cat food is very high in fats and protein and when ingested by a dog, particularly in large amounts or on a regular basis, the cat food can cause a bout of potentially deadly pancreatitis. It should be noted that all high-fat foods – particularly ham and bacon - have the ability to trigger pancreatitis, therefore pet owners should also use caution when offering table scraps that are high in fats.

Chocolate - Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that acts as a cardiac stimulant and diuretic.
When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. After their pet has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.

Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.

Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

Citrus Oil extracts - Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings from leftovers - High fat content can cause Pancreatitis - especially COOKED fats

Fruit Pips & Kernels - The pips of apples & pears, and the kernels of peaches, apricots and plums, contain cyanotic gluycerides - which can lead to cyanide poisoning.

Hops - Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures and death.

Human vitamin supplements with Iron - Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to liver and kidneys as well.

Liver - In small amounts liver is very good for your dog (less than 3 servings a week). Large amounts cause vitamin A toxicity (hypervitaminosis A). This can lead to bone problems, weight loss and anorexia. Also, never feed liver if your dog is taking vitamin A supplements, and always cook it before feeding.

Macadamia Nuts - The toxic compound is unknown but the affect of macadamia nuts is to cause locomotory difficulties. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated. This can occur in all breeds of dog with as few as 6 macadamia kernels (nuts without shells)

Marijuana or Cannabis - Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and milk products - For your information, 50% of dogs are lactose intolerant (just like people!) – they don’t produce the enzyme Lactase, therefore they are unable to break down Lactose (milk sugar). This can cause gas, diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort.

Mouldy or spoiled food - Can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and also affect other organs.

Mushrooms - Mushrooms can contain toxins that will trigger numerous organ systems, including the kidneys, liver and brain. Nervous system abnormalities, seizure, coma, vomiting, and death can all result when a dog ingests mushrooms.

Nutmeg - Is a hallucinogen in dogs. Can cause tremors, seizure and death.

Nuts - Walnuts can cause gastroenteritis and are considered poisonous to dogs. Macadamia nuts contain an unknown compound, which can cause muscle tremors, weakness and paralysis of the hindquarters – luckily these symptoms last a short time. In general, nuts are high in phosphorus and may contribute to the formation of bladder stones.

Onions & Garlic - Onions & garlic contain the toxic substance Thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger than garlic, which is commonly given safely in small amounts to dogs.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body. At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number. The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion.

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

Persimmons - Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Raisins & Grapes - This is a fairly new addition to the dangerous foods list, but is very dangerous and potentially lethal.

As few as 2 raisins can make a 10lb dog very ill. Symptoms include vomiting, abdominal pain, breathing difficulties, kidney failure and death.

Rhubarb - Tomatoes, potatoes and rhubarb contain oxalates, which trigger abnormalities with the nervous system, kidneys and digestive tract.

Salt - Can cause electrolyte imbalances when eaten in large amounts.

Tea, coffee, coffee grinds/beans, tea leaves, caffeine - Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Tobacco, cigarettes, nicotine - Nicotine affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Tomato - Tomatoes, potatoes and rhubarb contain oxalates, which trigger abnormalities with the nervous system, kidneys and digestive tract. Especially toxic are green tomatoes, green potatoes, potato skins, and tomato leaves and plants, can trigger tremors, seizure and heart arrhythimia, so tomatoes should never be given to dogs.
NOTE: The fruit itself is not the culprit, however high amounts of vitamin C can cause gastrointestinal distress.

Turkey skin - Known to cause acute Pancreatitis in dogs.

White Potato - Potato peelings and any raw green part of a potato are potentially dangerous, due to solanium alkaloids which is the compound of the nightshade plant family. Sweet potatoes and cooked potatoes are safe, and raw potato as long as ALL green parts and sprouts have been removed.

Xylitol - artificial sweetener contained in chewing gum, sweets, drinks, baked goods - Highly toxic to dogs. The Animal Poison Control Centre strongly urges owners to be especially diligent in keeping sweets, chewing gum, drinks and any other foods that contain xylitol well out of the reach of pets.

Symptoms can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Dogs can develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.

With smaller concentrations of xylitol, the onset of signs and symptoms could be delayed by as much as 12 hours after ingestion. It is therefore very important to keep in mind that even if your dog does not develop signs right away, it doesn't mean that problems won't develop later on.

As with any potentially toxic substance, should accidental exposure happen, it is important to contact your vet for immediate assistance.

Yeast dough - Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines

Back to top Go down

DANGEROUS FOODS Empty Re: DANGEROUS FOODS

Post by Steve Sun Sep 19 2010, 19:15

nice post Smile

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 23:49

i knew most of the problem foods but Xylitol is a new one on me and a good one to watch out for as dogs can easily pick up any disgarded chewing gum lying around when out and about

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Sep 20 2010, 12:09

Great post some was new to me
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 12:40

Very good.... detailed and informative....a few on there that I didn't know about...well done

Back to top Go down

Post by lawzee Sun Oct 03 2010, 16:22

Is a small amount of goats milk ok? (semi skimmed)

lawzee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 03 2010, 17:13

i would still have to say no as im sure it still contains lactose i may be proved wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04 2010, 13:56

Goats milk is much better than cows milk its much easier to digest. I no some breeders swear by goats milk to rear pups if mum isnt producing or whatever....
Goats milk is one of those funny subjects that splits peoples opinions....if ur dog likes it and it doesnt give her a funny tummy then give it to her....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04 2010, 14:14

see told you i might be proved wrong thanks for putting me straight on that blaze666 Big Grin (smartie pants)lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 04 2010, 14:30

Haha!! Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by samandpebbles Sat Nov 06 2010, 15:48

pebbles is one lucky girl then. my stupid hubby left a full open packet of Indian onion things on the kitchen table.And totally out of character for her pebbles stole them. I did not know onion was that toxic. Luckily this was a good few months ago and she has shown no lasting effects.
samandpebbles
samandpebbles

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 06 2010, 16:49

blaze666 wrote:Goats milk is much better than cows milk its much easier to digest. I no some breeders swear by goats milk to rear pups if mum isnt producing or whatever....
Goats milk is one of those funny subjects that splits peoples opinions....if ur dog likes it and it doesnt give her a funny tummy then give it to her....

Dempsey sometimes has goats milk & it does him no harm, but cow's milk is a different matter! :-&

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Mon Nov 08 2010, 00:34

the garlic i dont understand as u can buy dog garlic tablets , i am sure it is only the skin of the garlic that is toxic , i have often put garlic in Trubs food as it is a natural deterant for fleas , please correct me if i am wrong

Last edited by roz w on Mon Nov 08 2010, 00:52; edited 1 time in total
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
DANGEROUS FOODS Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08 2010, 00:44

roz w wrote:the garlic i dont understand as u can buy dig garlic tablets , i am sure it is only the skin of the garlic that is toxic , i have often put garlic in Trubs food as it is a natural deterant for fleas , please correct me if i am wrong

im not certain but you could be right as supermarket bought worming tablets also contain garlic and onion extract which if very strange

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08 2010, 10:00

Hmmmmmm ill look into that guys as im not sure myself! x

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Fri Nov 12 2010, 19:26

Thanks for the post, I was particularly glad to see the potato mention. Someone told me dogs should not eat potatoes although I had always fed my old dog potatoes in a Sunday lunch. I'm relieved that cooked potatoes are OK as I had always felt guilty after hearing the thing about potatoes that I was told.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by wendywoo Fri Nov 19 2010, 16:25

omg jst read the list I have been giving casper the odd tomoto hes been ok but i wnt be giving it to him again is cucumber/carrots ok for him because I give then to him as treats and he loves them especially cucumber

wendywoo
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : casper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 19 2010, 16:28

Yea carrotts and cucumber are fine both my 2 get a raw carott every morning they love it! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 19 2010, 17:26

wendywoo wrote:omg jst read the list I have been giving casper the odd tomoto hes been ok but i wnt be giving it to him again is cucumber/carrots ok for him because I give then to him as treats and he loves them especially cucumber

as long as the toms are super ripe they wont couse to much probs just dont give all the time

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Fri Nov 19 2010, 19:51

I'm going to have to be ultra carefull when im cooking, cos i drop it everywhere and Ruby usualy hoovers it up! I knew we should have named her HETTIE!!!
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
DANGEROUS FOODS Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 20 2010, 01:22

ha ha as long as she dont go the same couler she be fine lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 10:30

Goats milk has a much smaller protien chain.. so it is much easier to digest...
How do i know this??? My poor little son was allergic to every formula on the earth.. a mother told me to try goats milk and it worked a treat... $$$$$ tho.. it was costing me $4 a day..
I had no idea about all these foods... Onions I did and cooked bones.. but the others I had no idea about....
It is such a shame that people buy dogs and have no idea and do no research on their breed, health and training.
Good on you guys for maning this forum so very well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 05 2010, 12:08

The one that always baffled me was grapes/raisins. It wasn't till I went on a forum like this one & asked, that I found out that they can cause kidney failure in dogs!

Forums are a great way to find things out!

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Thu Dec 16 2010, 22:51

Brilliant topic and advice Blaze. Thanks for the heads-up.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Thu Dec 23 2010, 20:07

top post.....

will have to print that out and have a proper read.......

some stuff init i didnt know....and looks like a good litile read for me.... thumbs up
scott
scott

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

DANGEROUS FOODS Empty well done.....but

Post by martinwhu Mon Jan 17 2011, 02:17

well done and appreciated information, but i have a question for you and appreciate an answer if you can, i used to give my german shepard as a treat once a month boiled to a pulp, cabbage peelings, tato peelings,sprout peelings etc and she used to love it and was told it was good for her coat, and it was !! would this be ok for my beloved staff ?? thinking Thanks
martinwhu
martinwhu

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Trigger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 17 2011, 10:14

i dont see the sprout and cabbage doing much harm but also not much good as dogs dont really need thye iron but the tattie peelings i would say are a total no no as they can be highly toxic if there any green bits or spouting shoots.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 17 2011, 11:02

Cabbage & sprouts are fine, but not potato peelings. Although some dogs will cope well with it, not all can, and it doesn't actually do anything for them! You must have been doing something else to get your dog's coat so good!

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Sat Jan 22 2011, 21:25

I read that liver is really good for dogs raw? i got chase some ox liver from the butchers, Whats your advice on feeding it to him? i was planning on cutting it up and mixing it in with his dry. Should it be cooked or raw?

Also, what meats would be good mixed with his dry for a more day to day use if liver should only be fed in around 3 portions a week?
acidrane13
acidrane13
DANGEROUS FOODS Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jdog Fri Mar 11 2011, 03:20

i gave my dog grapes once and she was fine
Jdog
Jdog

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe
Dog Gender(s) : girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Jdog Fri Mar 11 2011, 03:27

is chili,egg plant,iceberg lettuce, and raw spinach bad because I read on another site it is bad
Jdog
Jdog

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11 2011, 10:34

I can't find anywhere that says they are bad, but I wouldn't bother with any of them!

If you're going to give your dog veggies, then they either have to be cooked or pulped for them to be able to digest them. I only give mine some cabbage and carrots because he likes them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jdog Fri Mar 11 2011, 21:00

for some reason my dog only eats veggies if their mashed up confused
Jdog
Jdog

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Mon Mar 14 2011, 16:29

omg Bruiser loves tomato's, he eats them quite alot hope it hasnt done damage Sad
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser

Back to top Go down

Post by salixius Wed Mar 16 2011, 18:19

thankyou..great post..very well informed.
x
salixius
salixius

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : axel

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sat Apr 16 2011, 14:20

Many thanks for the useful advice. One question though, a friend of ours who is a qualified dog trainer suggested we put peanut butter in Sophies 'kong'.

She normally has it stuffed with sausage and a bit of cheese but we thought the peanut butter would make a change on the odd occasion.

There would be about a slightly heaped teaspoon used in volume. Any thoughts or should we avoid?

We were unsure ourselves due t o the salt content. Having said that, looking on the jar a 15ml or one tablespoon contains just a trace of salt and there is only 0.3g salt in 100g.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23 2011, 02:20

wow! glad someone bumped this post up because I had no idea of some of this stuff, infact, Russell has shared a cherry tomato or two with me as well as a raison ( well a sultana but same same right?)

luckily only a few and it was a few weeks ago so he is fine but he wont be getting them again eep!

Back to top Go down

Post by maxemma Wed Jul 25 2012, 01:06

is rice ok for dogs/puppy's. and what about the dog rolls you buy from supermarket

maxemma

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : max & emma
Dog(s) Ages : 2years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25 2012, 10:32

maxemma wrote:is rice ok for dogs/puppy's. and what about the dog rolls you buy from supermarket

Rice is ok (brown rice is better) but not too much of it. I don't buy any of the standard treats etc from the supermarket because they're mainly full of additives. I did, however, buy the little puppy Markies when Dempsey was little!

P.S. Please introduce yourself here.....
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Big Grin thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by anitapitbull Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:07

i new most but nice to be reminded thanks as it was years ago i did my city and guilds in live stock Big Grin
anitapitbull
anitapitbull
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : keyser,starling,cheyenne
Dog(s) Ages : keyser is 8 starling is 11 cheyenne is 12
Dog Gender(s) : keyser is male starling is female cheyenne is female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down