Manners

3 posters

Go down

Manners Empty Manners

Post by peppapig13 Wed Oct 23 2013, 23:24

Hi hope everyone is well! Peppa is doing really well and learning fast,but was hoping for some advice on a few things. Firstly Peppa is doing really well with not nipping at home (she does still have her moments but stops straight away when she realises) but when we are out and she meets people she gets so excited and jumps all over everyone and nips at their fingers and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I try to keep her back with the lead and tell her no, but she just ends up rolling around going nuts and unfortunately the person she is greeting usually continues to try to stroke her and she nips, and then they look at me like I'm a bad person who is allowing my puppy to bite! Any ideas on how I can keep her calm and stay polite lol?
Secondly I want to teach her how to fetch but am unsure how to. She will chase after whatevers been thrown but doesn't seem to realise she has to bring it back. I think the extra exercise and mental stimulation will be really good for her.
Thanks Smile
Hanna & Peppa x
peppapig13
peppapig13
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Manners Empty Re: Manners

Post by Guest Thu Oct 24 2013, 08:15

Hi Hanna thanks for the updat sounds like things are going great, you could teach peppa the watch me command so that when she meets new people she's calm, as for catch darcy just returns for the fun but perhaps if you give her a little treat hen she does come back then she'll start to return things Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Thu Oct 24 2013, 12:43

We are strict on sit before a pat, and most people well understand a 'he is still training, just let me get him calm ' and will oblidge happily. I tend to find that if I do this first they are also more inclined to understand if he does jump up and to stop patting when he does Smile

For fetch, we learnt the 'take and treat on return' before starting the 'throw pick up and return for treat' bit. Starting inside with small throws before moving outside and up to bigger throws outside was a really helpful technique as well.

Have fun Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Thu Oct 24 2013, 20:17

Sorry cant really help on the nipping on walks, but with regards to fetch, start close to her, throw the toy, then have a high value treat at the ready. We used cheese. Call her to you excitedly, and/or pat your leg to come. As soon as she comes to you with the ball/toy, stick the treat under her nose and say drop. She should drop the toy/ball and take the treat. Gradually increase the distance between you and Peppa, until she connects bringing you the ball with the treat. I was quite lucky with Jasmine, she always came back to me with the ball, it was just getting her to let go of it that was the problem lol! I recommend using a squeaky toy too. Improves their interest levels in it in my opinion! We do fetch in the garden for 5 mins before her walk sometimes. I find it stimulates her brain and gets her attention on me for her walk. x
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down