Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out

4 posters

Go down

Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out Empty Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 19:20

Hi folks looking for some help, nico is jumping up constantly, jumping on shoulders when I'm sitting down as well, I've been standing up, leaving the room ignoring him and rewarding him when he gets down but it's just not getting any better. He's really attention seeking as well, we spend a lot of time playing, training with. Treats and he's getting plenty of excercise so I don't think he's under stimulated, recently got a DAP adaptor to try and help him feel calmer but so far no change. He's also pooing in the house even when he's just been out, he knows his spot outside and I give him plenty of time and rewards for going outside, trying to ignore when he goes inside but it's pretty frustrating. Sorry for ranting but it feels like I'm doing all I can for him and not seeing any results, help????
Kelsbels
Kelsbels
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down

Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out Empty Re: Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 21 2013, 19:41

Try going back to basics with the training and toilet training - going outside every half hour and always after sleeping, playing and feeding/drinking. Sounds like he is just pushing his luck to see far he can push you, he will get it eventually and in time he will calm down I'm sure. Time, patience and consistency needed here.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out Empty Re: Constant jumping, attention seeking and pooing in the house after being out

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:06

What's the best way to extend the time between outings, we seemed to get to 2 hours and now he's just gone backwards?
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:18

Can I ask what you feed him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:20

Butchers dried and some wet mixed in, been looking at other posts though and I've ordered James wellbeloved dried food, do you think that will help ?
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:29

It will certainly help with any hyperactivity problems, which it sounds like he has!

Save me looking back through posts, how old is your boy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:36

He's a year, a rescue boy. Was in kennels for 2 months so I think that's part of it, they told us he was housetrained by his past owners but....... Anyway he's got us now and we will get him on track
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:41

i'm sure the change of food will help him along with getting his settled into a good routine. Rocky is also from a rescue centre and was about the same age too and we had a few issues to begin with but once he was settled in he was fine.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:45

With a change of food, and a good routine with consistent & patient training he should become settled. They Say it can take a year for a rescue dog to fully settle into a new home, but you should start to see results a lot sooner than that!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:45

Kathy that's good to hear, he's my first rescue staffy always had girls before and from pups so this is a bit new to me, is there anything I should know that's different with regards to training a boy or just go with the basics?
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:48

Depends entirely on the dog. I've never really found there's a difference sex-wise, but some dogs/bitches need a firmer hand (not literally!) than others.

Consistency is the key with rescues, they really appreciate the fact that they can rely on you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:53

Thanks Caryll, yeah I hope he settles sooner than a year but wer in it for the long haul anyway, just very frustrating at times. Can't even go for a shower without him getting up to no good! Yet when he's alone in the house sometimes he's fine, strange wee boy.
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:57

Yes, they're strange things, aren't they?

You could always let him get in the shower with you!Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 21 2013, 20:57

I can only echo what Caryll said above, consistancy pays off. Just give him time and space to settle in too. Does he have a crate or a space where he can go for some time alone ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:03

Lol, I'm covered enough in scratches already ta!! He is a bit whiffy with all that running about in the mud though....... Hmmmm a job for my other half I think lol!! He's got comfy spots in each room ( bed, covers etc) I had been giving him time outs in the bathroom for bad behaviour but to no avail so just ignoring all bad behaviour now and turning away and stuff!
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:05

It will get better - honestly!

And don't forget that we're here to listen if you want a good old rant about it!Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:17

Cheers ladies, as we speak he's curled up snoozing like a wee angel on the sofa, thanks for the advice and for cheering my moaning face up Wink
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:18

It's always good to have a moan! And I think most of us can sympathise with you at some level.Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:32

how many times are you talking him out and how long for?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:55

Around 5 times per day at least 2 of those he's getting a good walk/ run for about half an hour, still mega active in the house though. Would like to get that down to 3 times per day and have each time for half an hour, Possible? Or have I been spoiled in the past? Lol!
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 21:58

Three walks a day is ideal, but they should really be for about 40+ minutes each.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 22:04

I was defo spoiled then! That would be great if we could get him to that, the sooner the better. We are hoping to rescue another staffy, a girl,once we move house next year but obviously it's dependant on the wee fella, he's totally not bothered by other dogs at all just now but we will get him settled properly first.
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 22:05

Rescuing is such a wonderful thing to do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Mon Oct 21 2013, 22:19

Was a relief to hear from Kathy that she had been through the same with a rescue staff but that's things are all good now Smile
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Tue Oct 22 2013, 09:22

Update: just had him out for nearly an hour, peed ran, sniffed, no poo, came back in, first chance alone in living room he pooped, I've sent him to bed.... What can i do?
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Oct 22 2013, 10:17

it's about getting in an proper routine, it's not going happen over night, 2/3 walks per day in the morning, afternoon or night for an hour each time.. walking for an hour without wee or pooing is very weird or he just hasn't had any proper routine in his life

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Tue Oct 22 2013, 10:20

But he's got a routine, he's out at the same times every day, done all his business's outside last night no problems, he can be such a good boy as well, it's just confusing! Made a vet appointment just to rule out any problems
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 22 2013, 11:00

Kelsbels wrote:Update: just had him out for nearly an hour, peed ran, sniffed, no poo, came back in, first chance alone in living room he pooped, I've sent him to bed.... What can i do?
Are you feeding him close to the time he goes out for a walk ?, if so may be an idea to leave it an hour or two in between feeding and walking, this will give his system time to digest and sort itself out before a walk.

Or take him for a walk then leave it a couple of hours before feeding, which ever way around works best for you. I find walking then feeding is best for Rocky - out with the old before in with the new.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 22 2013, 11:17

Please have a read of the links below, there are some very useful pointers on toilet training here too:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/toilet_training_your_staffie

http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/pet_advice/413_dog_toilet_training
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 22 2013, 11:25

Kelsbels wrote:But he's got a routine, he's out at the same times every day, done all his business's outside last night no problems, he can be such a good boy as well, it's just confusing! Made a vet appointment just to rule out any problems
Try and work it so that you walk him, then feed him about an hour later. Then walk him again about 4 or 5 hours later. So, for example, walk at 7am & breakfast at about 9am, then walk about 4pm & dinner at about 6pm, then last walk at about 10pm or so. The last walk doesn't need to be very far normally, just enough for him to sniff around & do his business. Then try and keep an eye on him in between & catch him if he looks like he's going to poo & put him outside. After a couple of weeks you might find his body clock will get the better of him & he'll fit in with the routine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Tue Oct 22 2013, 12:35

I've been feeding him as soon. As we get back in in the morning, il try holding off, thanks thumbs up plus I've been giving him his small dinner about 9, il bring it forward for him, cheers for the tips guys, il have a look at the training info as well.
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess11 Thu Oct 24 2013, 14:07

The alimentation is really important and can make a huge difference in a dog behaviour.
Try to introduce the new food gradually mixing it with the old one so not to unsettle the stomach.
James wellbeloved is (in my opinion) one of the best food available and Im sure it will help him to calm down a little bit.
You will see the result shortly Smile
Jess11
Jess11
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jess
Dog(s) Ages : 22 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelsbels Thu Oct 24 2013, 17:24

Hey all, yup got it today, started him on small bits as treats, he's getting some though his dinner just now, sounds like he's keen anyway. I got the junior kind as he's only one, this okay? Il update on the behaviour, got his first vet visit tomorrow, it's a busy life being nico, mum is knackered lol!!
Kelsbels
Kelsbels

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down