Sazzle
Kathy
janey
7 posters

Go down

This forum has saved me about £500 Empty This forum has saved me about £500

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:47

And this is how ....

Kuchar had diarhorrea for a couple of days so we were already feeling a bit worried about him.

Then last night (in the middle of the night, like these things always choose to happen) he started making the most horrible honking noise through his nose - on and off; not all the time. But it was scary and my son was beside himself with fear.

I might have rushed off with him to the emergency 24/7 vet there and then, except I remembered seeing a post on this forum about Reverse Sneezing, which in all my years of dog-owning I had never even heard of before.

I'm still going to take him to our own vet tomorrow, just to get him checked over as he's still doing it occasionally and his bowels still aren't quite normal, but thanks to the forum I didn't panic and rush off at 3am to a mega-expensive vet.

So Thank You, Staffy Forum This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699  This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699  This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

This forum has saved me about £500 Empty Re: This forum has saved me about £500

Post by janey Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:49

Hope he is feeling better by morning This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:52

Thank you Janey, I hope so to, but even if he doesn't honk or squit any more from now till tomorrow, he's still going to the vet. I just want make sure ....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:53

aye reverse sneezing is a sound you won't forget!

Don't forget to cover his nose to force him to breathe through his mouth, it soon stops it and they calm down!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:54

I think the key thing here is Lynda that you didn't panic which is oh so easy to do when something goes wrong. Hope you can get to the bottom of the diarrhea, no pun intended This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:55

Thanks Ella, I did see that tip on YouTube when I was researching it this morning but haven't tried it - yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:55

Aww poor little man. Hope he's on the mend ASAP Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:57

Lynda wrote:Thanks Ella, I did see that tip on YouTube when I was researching it this morning but haven't tried it - yet.
Honestly it works wonders, the problem is they tend to panic which makes them reverse sneeze more, so by getting them to breathe properly they do calm down which helps stop it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:58

Thanks Kathy, I didn't panic (which I would have done, never heard that awful noise before) and it is all thanks to this forum.

The diarrhea (thanks for the correct spelling!) may or may not have had something to do with it - I'll find out tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 19:59

Do I squish his nostrils together, Ella, or just cover his nose with my hand?

Back to top Go down

Aww hope Kuchar is feeling better soon xx

Back to top Go down

Thanks Inez - mwah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:01

Thank you Hayley - mwah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:04

Lynda wrote:Do I squish his nostrils together, Ella, or just cover his nose with my hand?
what ever you know he will be happy with you doing, i tend to use the flat of my palms squashed onto their nose so you've got your fingers to fuss them to calm them down, but i'd do whatever works for you.

The main aim is just to force them to breathe with their mouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:08

Thanks Ella, I'll try that next time he honks.

You sound experienced in this - do your two do it very often?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:08

Awww Kutcher, hope you feel better soon This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 xx

Glad the forum was useful! Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:09

Never pinch a dog's nostrils, he will panic! A dog breathes through his nose, not through his mouth. You're better off gently blowing against the nostrils until the dog relaxes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:09

Lynda wrote:Thanks Ella, I'll try that next time he honks.

You sound experienced in this - do your two do it very often?
Chance has never done it, but harvey has maybe 4 or 5 times in the nearly 3 years i've had him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:29

Thank you Everyone! (I won't pinch, Caryll!)

Kuchar has never done it before yesterday, but has done it countless times in the last 24 hours.

Am I worrying unnesserarily? (Sorry my spelling has gone to pot Sad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 20:30

Caryll wrote:Never pinch a dog's nostrils, he will panic! A dog breathes through his nose, not through his mouth. You're better off gently blowing against the nostrils until the dog relaxes.
doesn't work i'm afraid vets always recommend covering their nose as it stops the muscles convulsing forcing the air through their nose.

I couldn't imagine blowing in the nose of a panicking dog! not something i'd ever do JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13 2013, 23:39

Lynda wrote:Thank you Everyone!  (I won't pinch, Caryll!)

Kuchar has never done it before yesterday, but has done it countless times in the last 24 hours.

I'd say something has irritated his nose. I wouldn't worry at the moment, to be honest.

ella wrote:
Caryll wrote:Never pinch a dog's nostrils, he will panic! A dog breathes through his nose, not through his mouth. You're better off gently blowing against the nostrils until the dog relaxes.
doesn't work i'm afraid vets always recommend covering their nose as it stops the muscles convulsing forcing the air through their nose.

I couldn't imagine blowing in the nose of a panicking dog! not something i'd ever do JMO
Most dogs aren't panicking when they do it once or twice. Just gently hold their head & blow gently on their nostrils - not only does it make them breathe properly, it also gets them to breathe in your scent which calms & reassures them. Pinching a dog's nostrils will make it panic & you're much more likely to get bitten!

Think how you'd feel if someone pinched your nostrils & you couldn't breathe, bearing in mind that dogs don't generally breathe through their mouths.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 00:12

Caryll wrote:
Lynda wrote:Thank you Everyone!  (I won't pinch, Caryll!)

I'd say something has irritated his nose. I wouldn't worry at the moment, to be honest.

ella wrote:

Most dogs aren't panicking when they do it once or twice. Just gently hold their head & blow gently on their nostrils - not only does it make them breathe properly, it also gets them to breathe in your scent which calms & reassures them. Pinching a dog's nostrils will make it panic & you're much more likely to get bitten!

Think how you'd feel if someone pinched your nostrils & you couldn't breathe, bearing in mind that dogs don't generally breathe through their mouths.
I've never pinched a dogs nose, and having seen harvey panic big time when he RS's no way would i blow in his nose, i would always recommend COVERING the nose to stop the forced inhale of breath, he automatically breathes through his mouth and calms down very quickly. That was also the way my vet said to deal with it and everywhere i've seen on the internet.

Also IMO you are more likely to get bitten by blowing gently or not in a dogs face, panicking or not, so i want my face no where them in that situation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 04:54

Hope he's better soon Lynda Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Oct 14 2013, 05:45

I've always covered the nose too and it works quickly. Most of the times it is just a few snorts and done though. Frosty automatically breathes through his mouth when it starts but Monte forgets himself... Thankfully Piggie hasn't done it that I've seen and she wouldn't like either strategy. Shed just pee...
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanota Mon Oct 14 2013, 08:28

I hope he is getting better!! It's hard not get worried!
Nanota
Nanota
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nana
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 09:04

Ella, all I was really saying us that punching the nostrils isn't good. I would personally gently blow, but if there was panic already the by all means cover the nose gently, but not pinch the nostrils shut!

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Oct 14 2013, 14:28

ahh well done you for staying calm,hope he's feeling a bit better today This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 16:21

Caryll wrote:Ella, all I was really saying us that punching the nostrils isn't good. I would personally gently blow, but if there was panic already the by all means cover the nose gently, but not pinch the nostrils shut!
For the record I have never pinched a dogs nose and I wouldn't do it either, the best way to say what I do is to give their nose a high five Laughing works wonders but each to their own and all that jazz!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 17:53

Hope he is feeling better Lynda ? This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 20:23

ella wrote:
Caryll wrote:Ella, all I was really saying us that punching the nostrils isn't good. I would personally gently blow, but if there was panic already the by all means cover the nose gently, but not pinch the nostrils shut!
For the record I have never pinched a dogs nose and I wouldn't do it either, the best way to say what I do is to give their nose a high five :lol:works wonders but each to their own and all that jazz!
I never said you did. It's just that you said to Lynda to do whatever she thought Kuchar would be ok with. I just don't think that's right.i dont know 

ella wrote:
Lynda wrote:Do I squish his nostrils together, Ella, or just cover his nose with my hand?
what ever you know he will be happy with you doing, i tend to use the flat of my palms squashed onto their nose so you've got your fingers to fuss them to calm them down, but i'd do whatever works for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 21:04

Didn't want to start a war, Caryll and Ella! Sad  I appreciated both of your advice (and I wouldn't have pinched hard, just tried to close the nostrils) but as it happened I didn't get a chance to try anything, cos his "honking" diminished very quickly, and he only does it now about 3 times a day and then for such a short time I don't get a chance to try anything.

Thank you Claire and Stella, yes he seems to be improving, touch wood.

I was going to take him to vet today but as sod's law would have it, the guy finallycame today to start putting in all the new strong fencing and gating that Kuchar's escape some 6 or 8 weeks ago made necessary (some of you may remember me reporting that particular nightmare). Anyway, this guy needed my constant help and I just couldn't get away.

I think Kuch maybe has a cold or some such similar thing (one of his eyes is getting a bit gunky) and I'm still not happy about his bowels - I thought after he passed a normal poo that the diarrhea had gone, but he had some more later). Unless he improves dramatically in the next 36 hours I will take him to the vet, but alas it won't be tomorrow because I really must get this fence and gate up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 21:13

Have you tried him on some hard boiled eggs & a little natural probiotic yoghurt? That might help with the runs?

Dempsey often does the reverse sneeze, especially when he scents something that's really special - a favourite treat of some tasty meat; I just leave him alone & it stops within a few seconds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 14 2013, 21:25

I did give him 2 scrambled eggs (no butter or milk, just a teensy bit of grated cheese on top to get him to eat it) instead of his normal Wainwrights tray after 24 hours starving but that didn't seem to help and I didn't want to keep on starving him. I didn't think of hard boiled eggs or natural yoghurt (I have been avoiding giving him milky things).

Should I try hard boiled eggs chopped up in natural yoghurt tomorrow do you think, instead of his normal food? He's only fed once a day, except he does expect to have a couple of treats in the evening, which have never affect him before.

I do appreciate your help - thanks everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 05:57

Caryll wrote:
ella wrote:
For the record I have never pinched a dogs nose and I wouldn't do it either, the best way to say what I do is to give their nose a high five :lol:works wonders but each to their own and all that jazz!
I never said you did. It's just that you said to Lynda to do whatever she thought Kuchar would be ok with. I just don't think that's right.i dont know 

ella wrote:
Caryll all I meant by that was literally do what you are comfortable with, lydna is more then capable in deciding what she wants to do to help him, I wasn't recommending pinch his nose, maybe I could have worded it better but that's certainly not what I intended

This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 12:05

Lynda wrote:Should I try hard boiled eggs chopped up in natural yoghurt tomorrow do you think, instead of his normal food?  He's only fed once a day, except he does expect to have a couple of treats in the evening, which have never affect him before.

I do appreciate your help - thanks everyone.
Hard boiled eggs are known to harden stools (even in humans!) as long as there are no underlying health problems.

What I generally do is give two meals of 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs each (either whole or chopped, it doesn't matter), and after the second one I give a tablespoon of natural live yoghurt. Then next day a light meal (chicken & rice or something like that) with another dollop of yoghurt & see if that clears it. If not, then a trip to the vets might have to be done.Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 12:42

How is the little patient today lynda? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 20:08

ella wrote:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Tue Oct 15 2013, 20:24

Oooo never heard of reverse sneezing will find out what to expect if it ever happens
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 21:17

I used the term "squish his nostrils together" when I should have said "gently close them" , so I do apologise for my terminology which caused a bit of a spat, which I am glad to see is now resolved.

As regards "the little patient" (thank you Hayley") his reverse sneezing has resolved into the occasional "normal" sneeze or more often a bubbly, phlegmy sound of noise in the back of his throat, which he evidently swallows with a snort (very much like the grosser male members of the human race are prone to do). He also has a mattery right eye, and no longer eats up his dinner when it's put down for him (although up to now he eats it eventually, before bedtime). It just seems so like a "human" cold now, which I have never experienced with a dog before now, but some of my fellow dog walkers have said that their dogs have had a cold in the past few weeks, so I guess that is where he picked it up from.

His bowels are still not right, and I will try Caryll's suggestion of hard boiled eggs and natural yoghurt tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 22:18

Dogs can't catch a human cold, but he could have picked up a bit of a respiratory virus or something. Hopefully it'll pass as quickly as it started!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18 2013, 18:26

Lynda, it sounds to me like he might have some nasal drippage, as you mentioned that a virus has been going around dogs in your area. Smile This can cause reverse sneezing.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to supress the sneezing with most dogs. If it's just the odd reverse sneeze, like almost all dogs do at some point in their lives, it's likely to be over in a few seconds, so there's no need to stop it. If it's chronic, supressing the sneezes won't help in the long-term; it's best to see a vet to determine exactly why it's happening. If it's caused by allergens such as pollen, a particularly violent bout can be supressed to avoid panic, but otherwise they usually resolve themselves in a few seconds.

If the situation is chronic, which I doubt it is with Kuchar, it's much more effective to determine what triggers the reverse sneezes and try to avoid irritants. Smile It's a throat and/or soft palate spasm. As these are very sensitive areas, irritants such as pollen, perfume, sprays and even things like excitement can become triggers.

As for covering the nose, it can be done briefly, as can blowing gently on the nose, to cause the dog to swallow, which may sometimes put a stop to the spasms. However, neither of these methods are 100% effective 100% of the time. Massaging the throat is a much less intrusive method, which provokes a more calming response than blowing or covering the nose. Smile Very often, reverse sneezing episodes are prolonged due to anxiety, as the dog doesn't know what's happening, so rubbing the throat relaxes the muscles in that area, as well as lessening the anxiety to allow the dog to calm down.

How is he doing now? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18 2013, 23:57

Thank you so much for your input Eleanor, it is much appreciated.

Well, the reverse sneezing was acute on the day it happened but the next day and the day after it dwindled to next to nothing.

I do suspect that he caught a viral "something" - he's a lot better but still snorts occasionally. He's as lively as ever now. He's still not quite right though with his bowels.

I hope you are still enjoying your dairy farm experience, Eleanor. This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Oct 19 2013, 09:47

Thats great news Lynda Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 19 2013, 11:07

Lynda wrote:Thank you so much for your input Eleanor, it is much appreciated.

Well, the reverse sneezing was acute on the day it happened but the next day and the day after it dwindled to next to nothing.

I do suspect that he caught a viral "something" - he's a lot better but still snorts occasionally.  He's as lively as ever now. He's still not quite right though with his bowels.
Sounds like you're right. Poor baby probably caught something. Sad Glad he's starting to feel better though! I hope he makes a full recovery soon!

Lynda wrote: I hope you are still enjoying your dairy farm experience, Eleanor. This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 
I am, thanks! Big Grin This forum has saved me about £500 3198918699 It's great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down