Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female..

3 posters

Go down

Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female.. Empty Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female..

Post by ClydeFrog420 Sun Oct 06 2013, 12:04

Alright folks, I am strongly considering getting another staffy and I would really love a male. This reason being I already have a female and we are strongly bonded so there is literally no chance she will let me have another female lol.

I was considering on breeding her but now I have decided against it and will be getting her fixed. My question is, how would my female react to bringing a male pup into my appartment? She get's along with male dogs, but bringing one into the apartment I'm not sure about, is there anything I should expect?

My friends mum has a great knowledge on dogs and said to me that generally there shouldn't be a big problem as my bitch may see the pup as one of her own and mother it.

ClydeFrog420
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female.. Empty Re: Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female..

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06 2013, 12:28

well generally speaking she will be much more accepting of a pup than an older dog , and if she gets along generally with dogs sounds like you will be fine Smile

My girl was about 22 months when we brought Tommy home , she had some massive sulks ( see "who's that sleeping in my bed"  pic below Laughing )  but generally they get along fine

Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female.. DSC00405

Back to top Go down

Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female.. Empty Re: Bringing a male pup home to a 3 year old female..

Post by ClydeFrog420 Sun Oct 06 2013, 12:44

Thank you Smile the pup in that photo is a double of my Goldie when she was a pup Big Grin

I'm wondering if I could get any advice on toilet training, due to living in an apartment on the 8th floor it may be difficult. I've got a balcony (With a big enough wall so no danger.) I could use for the first few weeks I guess, but I've a gut feeling this is going to be hard lol

ClydeFrog420

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sun Oct 06 2013, 14:44

Unfortunately I'm not much help as I have a yard, but I know a few members take their dog out first thing in the morning, straight after meals, after a long sleep, after playtime and before bed, and in between while on walks, may sound like a lot but a few of those will fit in with the walk times too Smile
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBubbleBoy Wed Oct 09 2013, 00:28

Hi we introduced a male pup to a 4/5 year old male against pretty much all the advice people will give you.
The usual advice is to get a bitch if you have a dog and vice versa, we went against this and it was the best thing we have ever done. They're best mates now and you can't separate them.
Introduce them in a neutral place and then gradually intergrate the new puppy until you feel comfortable leaving them. I don't think you will have any problems and good luck.
A quick one regarding the toilet training, maybe consider crate training as they don't tend to go where they sleep provided you don't leave them too long. Alternatively try an get him to make his mistakes in an area that's easy to clean such as the kitchen until he's trained up. Also do as someone has already suggested take them out at regular intervals and after try have been fed, another good indicator is when a puppy starts sniffing around.
You'll soon pick up the tell tale signs and good luck!
BlueBubbleBoy
BlueBubbleBoy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue Bubble Boy & Harley Boy
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months & 6 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ClydeFrog420 Fri Oct 11 2013, 08:37

Ahh thank you Smile How long would I need to keep the pup in a the crate for and how long does it usually take for them to go to the toilet after a feed/drink?

My female was kinda bad when it came to toilet training for quite a while :/ hoping it will be easier the second time.

ClydeFrog420

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down