New Staffy owner Questions

4 posters

Go down

New Staffy owner Questions Empty New Staffy owner Questions

Post by laddie_b Sat Oct 05 2013, 08:18

Hi all newbie here,
We recently got a American staffy x American Bulldog puppy (well she is 5 months old now) she was my 6 year old daughters B'day present. She is not our first dog just first staffy.

First for the bragging Smile my daughter has taught her to sit, lay down and hi5 which has blown my mind that a 6 year old can do that. They are the best of friends. sleep together all night and so on,
UNTIL
Now the worrying question, when she plays, The puppy, she seems to go psychoish and at set times at night for about half an hour. She will just nip and nip and her ears go back. we try making her sit til she calms but she is honestly just skittish for half a hour.
My question is when the ears go back is that still play mode or is there more to it? She isn't growling when she does it or show anything else to think she is being aggressive at that time just the whole ears going back worries me and constant nipping!
laddie_b
laddie_b
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Laddie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New Staffy owner Questions Empty Re: New Staffy owner Questions

Post by Shontelle Sat Oct 05 2013, 08:35

She's just a playful puppy. Do you have a crate? If you do, I suggest first turning away from her when she gets mad and nippy as they hate to to be ignored. If she continues, put her in the crate for a few minutes. Repeat this until she gets the message. Always give her the chance to back off by ignoring her (or try teaching a command such as 'away' 'calm' or something like that) before putting her in her crate. They are so smart as you've discovered and she'll soon learn what is acceptable and what isn't.
Shontelle
Shontelle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by laddie_b Sat Oct 05 2013, 08:44

Thanks Smile no we don't have a crate though i have a child gate i might put on the kitchen and she can go in there for a little time out and we will start using the word calm so she knows! she is fine with me it's the kids.
I think it is her way of saying lets play, Just the ears going back concerned me. Thanks for the reply Smile
laddie_b
laddie_b

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Laddie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Oct 05 2013, 10:07

I agree with Shontelle, she is just having a playful/mad half hour, it's unlikely to be aggression at that age. I would also exclude her for a short spell to calm her down if she won't listen to you but wouldn't advocate putting her in a crate. If you do get a crate for her, and they can be a godsend, it should never be used for punishment. It should always be a pleasant place to go, a little haven for her when she needs some "me time" and a place to keep her, and your property, safe if she has to be left alone for short spells.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 05 2013, 10:52

THe ears going back are just an indication of excitement, so don't worry about that.

Are these periods at set times? Are they shortly after you feed her?

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Oct 05 2013, 13:55

Agree with Reuben, the crate should never be used for punishment as then you'll always have problems getting them in the crate for sleeping etc and they would never want to go in it. Zeus now goes into his crate whenever he wants his own time and wants to lay down or sleep, because we've never used it for punishment.

Whenever Zeus did something we didn't approve of, we simply ignored him, turned our back and left him to it.

When this technique didn't work (and there were many times that it didnt), I picked him up and put him in another room for a couple minutes to calm down. This was very effective as he didn't want to be away from us and quickly learnt to calm down when he gets back in.

There are times you have to do it 3/4/5 times one after the other, but it definitely works.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down