rest

2 posters

Go down

rest Empty rest

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 17:44

hi everyone,
may be a daft thing to ask, but here gos, my 12 week old puppy kim, gets up a 5 or 6am,and gos to be at 8.30ishpm, how much rest, sleep does she need from 5am to 8pm ? she has play time and walks, but if i didnt put her in her crate she would just carrie on, i find if i leave her to get on with it she becomes very snappy, and does come when called, help please i never had dog before , thanks in advance Smile
doddy555
doddy555
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : kim
Dog(s) Ages : 12 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

rest Empty Re: rest

Post by janey Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:20

Its been so long since I had a pup but if I remember they will sleep when they need it, its kinda up to you to get them into a routine, teach them not to get snappy, use the crate by all means as the training is up to you Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:24

thanks janey, i am new to all this,hopefully i will get there Smile
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:35

Hi again Smile What food are you using , pups do normally stop when they are goosed under their own steam

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:39

hi dave
i was using barkers dried food,changed it today to burns pet shop said it was better, really she would carrie on all day if i didnt stop her, i scared she may damage her joints if she doesnt rest, are am i being silly, resaally dont know what to do regarding rest
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:43

doddy555 wrote:hi dave
i was using barkers dried food,changed it today to burns pet shop said it was better, really she would carrie on all day if i didnt stop her, i scared she may damage her joints if she doesnt rest, are am i being silly, resaally dont know what to do regarding rest
Well I wouldn't be surprised if the Bakers has been contributing heavily to the hyper activity as the stuff is so full of additives. Have you got any left as really you should make the changeover gradual ( 2 weeks ish ) so not to upset her tummy

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:46

hi dave ,
the vet said it was full of sugar, didnt think that it would make her hyper, oh dear i have just changed her over on her last feed, ups, didnt have any left, hope her tummy will be ok, hope this food the pet shop said get is better,
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:47

I would agree with advice above, that Bakers is full of additives so probably a major contribution in the hyperactivity.
As mentioned also its routine with everything, that leads to a happy contented dog. Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:50

hi i am trying to get a routine sorted, would be great to hear other peoples routine so i have some idea, i know i sound really thick, i just want a happy healthy puppy Smile 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:51

doddy555 wrote:hi dave ,
the vet said it was full of sugar, didnt think that it would make her hyper, oh dear i have just changed her over on her last feed, ups, didnt have any left, hope her tummy will be ok, hope this food the pet shop said get is better,
It may be full of sugar but it's also full of additives that aren't allowed to be used on humans sand known to make animalys hyper , generally speaking Bakers , Wagg and all of the supermarket own brand types should be avoided , if its all fancy with loads of different colours it is to makle it look appealling to owners and tasty for dogs but no good to them . I think Burns is a decent enough food

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 19:57

aww thanks dave hopefully kim will be fine with the quick change over, i am glad i have done it after what you have said, i just asked the owner of the pet shop which was the best food for my puppy, she said burns its more expensive but better, wil see what tomorrow brings Smile thanks again
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 20:03

I know its not the best idea as you know the make up of it but may be worth buying a smaller bag of the bakers to get her settled gradually or its going to be puppy trots for you

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Tue Sep 24 2013, 20:06

hi you may be right, will see what happens tomz, thankyou so much for your brill advice,
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 24 2013, 20:40

Darcys routine at 12 weeks was roughly this- up at 6am, meal times 8/12/4/8 (between12/16 wks she gradually stopped eating the 4th meal) we did 2/3 15min on lead walks once she was vax'd and aloud out, with training and play in between and sleep when wanted, hope this helps, any other questions don't hesitate just ask Smile we've all been there.

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 08:13

hi thanks darcy mr routine is nearly the same, hopefully now i haved changed her food she my settle better, how much sleep roughly do they need through the day ? x
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 08:31

doddy555 wrote:hi thanks darcy mr routine is nearly the same, hopefully now i haved changed her food she my settle better, how much sleep roughly do they need through the day ? x
They should sleep as and when they need , I would say my 2 both slept about 50% of their day at that age ( night as well Smile ) in fact the little Ginger one is having 40 winks on my foot right now Laughing Laughing  and the lazy little bugger has only been up for a couple of hours

It really depends how active or inactive their day is , try and build up some regular playtimes and walk times and don't feel that there is a constant need for you to be the puppy entertainer . Try buying some stuff like a Kong to settle her in her crate with something to occupy her , Tommy has a wobble Kong that he used to love as a pup too which encouraged some inquisitive and calm play

http://www.millbryhill.co.uk/pet-products-529/for-the-dog-535/dog-toys-accessories-548/kong-wobbler-size-small-80414.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=80414&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=CPTTgt6D5rkCFUMd3god818ACg

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 09:10

morning dave, you have helped me so much i do know i sound really thick lol, i wasnt sure how much sleep they should have, and was worried kim was having to much exercise,i have tryed not putting kim in her crate she will jst carrie on an on lol, i feel bit cruel but i lock her in her crate so she will rest,i am treating her like a baby bit much i think, she was fed at 6 this morning, played with her for about 15 mins with toys, then took her for a 15min walk,put her back in her crate at 7.30 am, she just sat watching me clean kitchen no crying so i just carried on , by about 8 she was asleep she stil in crate now lol, hopefully she will stay content in there till about 11, cos when i am back at work i will be in bed, and my friend is coming to feed ,and let her out at 11, then i will be up about 2 or 3 , then she will be out of crate till i go work at 8.45pm, hope that sounds ok ? i am worrying bit to much i think lol, oh her poo was ok this morning so hopefully she is fine with the food swop over Smile
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 09:53

I'm sure you'll work out your routine to suit both you & your pup! Puppies are remarkably able to adapt to whatever routine you set provided they get enough interaction/play with you and regular food & exercise (although at her age the exercise won't be much!).

To be honest re: Bakers, I'd do a complete changeover straight away. That stuff really is awful. The trouble is, you see all these wonderful adverts & read all the hype about it so what are you supposed to believe? It's so easy to be deceived by these huge companies.Sad 

Please don't worry about asking questions! If you need the answer to something, then ask away - better that way than not knowing.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:04

aww caryll thanks so much, just worrying to much i think, glad you said that puppy's do adapt to routine,the food was changed yesterday after i went pet shop, they said burns so that is what kim is on now hopefully its better, didnt realise that the food could affect there mood an stuff,i do play with kim, an try training lol think i need the traing more than kim lol, i take her for 3 walks a day now she is allowed to go out, 15mins each walk,x
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:06

my lazy boy still sleeps about 50% of the day now and he 3 lol im with caryll on the switching over of the food as the stuff that bad i would rather put up with the possible couple days of runny bum syndrom than feed that muck Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:10

doddy555 wrote: didnt realise that the food could affect there mood an stuf
Yes, picture a child fed exclusively on McDonalds & cheap fizzy drinks!Surprised  It's just the same - totally hyper!

Warren wrote:i would rather put up with the possible couple days of runny bum syndrom than feed that muck Smile 
Bum gravy!Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:17

yes you both right, think i have defo done right thing changeing her food, is burns ok then ? god hope so Smile
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:28

the differance between burns and bakers is poles apart if she likes the food stick with it if not there tons of good quality foods to choice from Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:30

Burns isn't bad at all.Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:34

thanks guys she eats it so i will stick with it , she chewing on froozen carrot at min bless her Smile Laughing 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

rest Empty oh noooo

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 10:52

i turned my back for a min looked at kim half the carrot had gone do i need ring vet ??? help
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:10

Caryll wrote:
To be honest re: Bakers, I'd do a complete changeover straight away. That stuff really is awful. The trouble is, you see all these wonderful adverts & read all the hype about it so what are you supposed to believe? It's so easy to be deceived by these huge companies.Sad 

Please don't worry about asking questions! If you need the answer to something, then ask away - better that way than not knowing.Big Grin 
Thanks for the confirmation Caryll , I was just thinking of the normal procedure when someone is already feeding it and still has some , guess you are right and better with the issues then the long term consequences Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:11

doddy555 wrote:i turned my back for a min looked at kim half the carrot had gone do i need ring vet ??? help
No don't worry she will be fine Smile worst you will get is orange bits in the poo as they don't really fully digest veg ( unless its been pulped ) but great for the teething etc

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:14

hi dave , first lesson learned , never leave kim to chew on carrot with out watching her lol thanks
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:15

doddy555 wrote:hi dave , first lesson learned , never leave kim to chew on carrot with out watching her lol thanks
There's nothing to learn she's fine on that so chill out and have a bit of you time Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:18

ok thanks dave Smile Smile 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 11:22

doddy555 wrote:ok thanks dave Smile Smile 
That earlier post I made by the way about the Kong Wobbler , if Kim is a greedy eater then it's a great device to give her meals from so she has to be much slower and patient with it

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 13:04

hi dave will defo be getting one of them, i got a feeding bowl yesterday thats slows them right down works a treat , but kim growled at it , this dinner time Straight Face 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 16:28

If the bowl is metal some dogs don't like to see their reflection in it! The kong wobblers are good as Dave says, it could help chilling her out. Puppies are like human babies they are all very different some are quiet and some are more boisterous biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 18:24

hi Chiara its a plastic one and she cant get to the food very quick its funny really, bless her lol
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 18:28

Growled at as bowl , really ??? that's a very peculiar dog you have there Laughing Laughing Laughing  NOT !!!!!

Tommy runs from the tinny sound of his metal bowl and scares himself if he is eating outside and it moves around on the path , Tilly dragged me across the road the other week to avoid .................... a flowery plastic bucket Surprised 

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 18:43

aww dave thats so funny , i am now starting to enjoy my kim, even though sometimes i feel like i am loosing the will to live, then she will do something like stop playing with me an run out the back door to poo, bless her, not had anything done inside for a while now, saying that i watch her all the time lol, aww i do love her, funny today on walk someone with there dog was coming towards me an kim, when he saw kim he crossed to the other side , once he passed us he went back on same side, that made me feel little sad has kim is so soft, excited grated , oh well i suppose i will have to get use to that, i just picked her up an sad aww good girl dont be scared of the noise its only a car, SmileSmile Smile 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 18:45

as far as other people are concerned then its just something you have to get used to , comes with the territory. Yesterday a guy saw me and picked up his 2 yorkshire terriers to get past me , I just smiled and asked him if they were vicious , he smiled back as he didnt know what else to do Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by doddy555 Wed Sep 25 2013, 18:56

aww wow thats fab , i will remember that for future, its sad but like i said will have to get use to it, Smile Smile 
doddy555
doddy555

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25 2013, 19:01

it just makes it much more rewarding when you train her right and people pick her out and pay her compliments

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down