never had such a fussy staffy!!

+2
marley'smummy
jo garnett
6 posters

Go down

never had such a fussy staffy!! Empty never had such a fussy staffy!!

Post by marley'smummy Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:22

Just as i think we find a food marley will finally stick to he stops eating it (and i do try leaving it down till he realises this is all his getting!) but this dog is stubbon and will go for 4 days without eating if i let him!! help please as it cost me a small fortune trying different food and id like to find one that he will just eat!! HELP Sad 
marley'smummy
marley'smummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB-19/08/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

never had such a fussy staffy!! Empty Re: never had such a fussy staffy!!

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:24

what have you got him on now ?? have you tried adding other things occasionally to keep the interest such as some sardines or a raw egg , perhaps a bit of salmon oil ??

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:33

Raw egg??? really??? ok hit me with a list as i have loads of dried food left over and would love him to finish it so im prepared to get a list and hit Asda lol,, when i say we have tried everything i do mean everything!! even a raw diet which i thought he would love.....oh no not marley four/five days in he just stops eating it and he had a good variety of different meats! I used to own 3 staffies and they ate anything i would put in front of them, does anyone else have a staffy like this???? x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:34

Right now his on Arden grange so it certainly wasnt cheap and we have tons left over! x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:36

My 2 can have their fussy moments but this is because "someone" makes them special meals when I'm not looking Surprised  but we do stick with not letting them have anything else when they get like this until they give in but never gone 4 days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:38

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:39

Haha bet they love there special meals though Laughing so how often can they have eggs and stuff like that?? think it will repulse me giving him raw egg but if he eats his dinner i dont mind!! his always been a funny one though and even now he doesnt eat in anywhere near what he is supposed to eat in a day, but he is healthy and a nice all round size i put it down to a bit of laziness!! x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:41

marley'smummy wrote:Haha bet they love there special meals though Laughing so how often can they have eggs and stuff like that?? think it will repulse me giving him raw egg but if he eats his dinner i dont mind!! his always been a funny one though and even now he doesnt eat in anywhere near what he is supposed to eat in a day, but he is healthy and a nice all round size i put it down to a bit of laziness!! x
Once or twice a week is fine , you don't want to make every meal special or he will just expect it

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:43

In with their dry Wainwrights I mix the following (not all at once though just one item a day!): raw beef mince, chopped pigs liver, raw egg, tinned sardines in oil. Plus an extra bit of fish oil from Pets at Home. They definitely wouldn't eat just the dried food on its own.
jo garnett
jo garnett
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:47

Thankyou so much it all helps, i do like to make sure Marley has the best food i can afford and thats usually up there in the £40 to £50 mark for the big sacks and it cripples me when he just stops eating it (i do keep telling him mummy will have to do another shift at work now to pay for another bag of food,but he dont listen!!) im of to Asda in a bit so im going to stock up on loads of extras and keep a note of what really gets him going at meal times!!
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 10:54

marley'smummy wrote:Thankyou so much it all helps, i do like to make sure Marley has the best food i can afford and thats usually up there in the £40 to £50 mark for the big sacks and it cripples me when he just stops eating it (i do keep telling him mummy will have to do another shift at work now to pay for another bag of food,but he dont listen!!) im of to Asda in a bit so im going to stock up on loads of extras and keep a note of what really gets him going at meal times!!
Have you tried Wainwrights yet ?? I use it for my 2 and there are a few varieties on flavour , just a thought . it's currently about £39 a bag for 15kg so a little cheaper too Smile

If he takes a likeness to it you could always buy 1 or 2 of the smaller bags , different flavours and try him by mixing them with his Arden Grange

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 11:16

Darcy can be very fussy at times Rolling Eyes but the sardines or a raw egg sometimes seem to do the trick Smile I've even put a bit of cooked beef mince when she's really being a pain, and occasionally I've scrambled the egg (no milk) she loves that Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Sep 22 2013, 12:35

I always put something on Daisy's dry food, tinned sardines, salmon or mackeral, JWB pouches, cooked mince, scrambled eggs Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 17:15

All great advice above, although my two are now on raw when they were fussy with dry food I would also add the likes of eggs/sardines/a little bit of cooked chicken etc

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Sep 22 2013, 20:23

if you have a pets at home near you have a word with the staff in there as i know some dry food lets you return it if the dog does'nt like it,they will tell you the brands this covers Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Mon Sep 23 2013, 20:02

Thanks everyone for all your advice it really is much appreciated, wainrights was one of the first i tried when he started being fussy and i brought a couple of different flavours and so he had a different flavour morning and evening, but that soon stopped to Crying or Very sad so last night i put anegg in and he ate it, this morning we had sardines he ate it tonight its plain he leaves it Rolling Eyes 
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Sun Sep 29 2013, 15:38

Pixee wont touch dried food. Like you I went through a few. I feed her wainwrights trays, not dried food, but not wet either, kind of in between. She can go off them, like us humans we get fed up with the same old old. Every now and then, she will have her fav, which is cooked lambs liver. Somethimes to give her a break, I will give her cooked chicken and rice. If she gets too fussy with her wainwrights tray, what I have found to do the trick, is fill her kong up with the food, seal it with peanut butter, she will eat the lot and finish off whats in her bowl.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 29 2013, 19:19

I was going to suggest Wainwrights trays too. Kuchar was just the same as Marley and I tried everything I could think off. I think Wainwrights trays saved my sanity. I buy a box of 3 different flavours and he has three quarters of a tray a day in rotation so it's never quite the same flavour twice running!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistygirl Thu Oct 03 2013, 06:27

i was just coming on here due to the same issue! Misty has always been a great eater, but always had a definite preference for the my dog lamb puppy in the tiny sachets. Now shes bigger, its not financially feasible for her to eat 6-8 a day plus dry, so have been buying mostly bigger tins.
She decides she loves a food, I stock up when it comes on special, and I swear the following day she turns her nose up at it! Im starting to think she just likes having her own stockpile to look at!
Im in Australia, and most of the brands recommended on here, Ive never heard of.
We buy Supercoat puppy dry food which she loves. Its the wet food that she is fussy with. But if we don't give her her wet food, she try's to open the cupboard, scratches and screeches like she's being murdered.
Mistygirl
Mistygirl
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down