Very sad news about my Mattie

3 posters

Go down

lock Very sad news about my Mattie

Post by craig46 Sat Sep 21 2013, 18:09

Hi all.
  Originally I came back to the forum for advice. I am moving permanently to Spain and wanted to know if the change in temparature would cause her any distress. Since then parter can't get there in April ( our original date ) so I'm going now in January, so I think Mattie will have to acclimatise.

However on Tuesday she was attacked by another "staffy"bitch who had at least 4 inches on her !!( no harm to her ) She came back right away she was on a short leash with a proper staffy collar. However today she was attacked AGAIN in the park we always use

...on her lead again by genuine Staffy this time. She saw it coming ( I didn't ) and it hit her like bloody express train again no harm to Mattie.

My point I can't now take her to Spain, as Staffies are on the Spanish Government's list of dangerous dogs along with that beast of a thing the Presa Canario....ridiculous!!! I refuse to put Mattie with someone ( I had a really nice lady in mind had staffs all her life ) in an area that's full of irresponsible owners, no way !

Sorry I'm banging on a bit but do any members in the Cambs/Lincs area of a really good rescue center JUST for Staffies ?

Sorry it was a bit long winded !

craig46
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mattie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

lock Re: Very sad news about my Mattie

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 18:18

Am sorry shes been attacked and hope she's ok.

But, and i don't mean to sound harsh, but there is no way i would go to spain if i couldn't take the boys. There is nothing that would make me rehome them.

Staffies can be moved to spain you just have to go through the paper work, and i believe seeing a vet to get her assessed is part of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 18:20

Another member Reuben is planning on moving to spain with his dog, and seems to have contacts that could help, maybe you could make a thread for his attention to see if he can help

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 18:30

Fingers crossed Smile but for me if the dogs can't go then I can't go

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 18:55

I can't make the decision for you, obviously, but I think you should consider your options very carefully. For a start, even if you did find a staffy-specific rescue, they very often are overflowing with dogs. The chances of every staffy being rehomed are a billion to one.

Personally, if there was a way for me to take my dog with me to another country, I'd take that chance. Staffies are allowed in Spain, provided the correct procedures and measures are carried out before importing. I definitely think talking to Reuben is a good idea.

Honestly, I think you should consider every available option for you and Mattie before you make your decision.

Back to top Go down

lock Sorry if I'm a bit miffed at your reply

Post by craig46 Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:14

ella wrote:Am sorry shes been attacked and hope she's ok.

But, and i don't mean to sound harsh, but there is no way i would go to spain if i couldn't take the boys. There is nothing that would make me rehome them.

Staffies can be moved to spain you just have to go through the paper work, and i believe seeing a vet to get her assessed is part of it.
I posted this in an answer to a question some where else on the forum, this is what happened when I went down there a few months back to assess n: Read it at your leasure

The dangerous dogs law seems to be a very grey area as

My first port of call to find out about the special licence was my town hall (Ayuntamiento) in Alhaurin De La Torre where I was issued with an application form.

On the application form it is listed at the bottom the requirements needed in order to obtain the licence.

1 ) Identity documents (residencia document (if you have one) and passport )

2) A certificate confirming you are physically and physiologically fit. (I got from the Centro Medico Conductores Alhaurin, next to the main Post Office). This certificate cost me 40 Euros.

3) Public liability Insurance cover for at least 120 euros, 175,000 euros in Andalucia (If you have house Insurance and it includes dogs check to make sure this cover is for dangerous dog breeds) Mine wasn’t, so had to get a seperate cover from Hamilton Insurance broker here in Spain, the company they deal with for this Insurance is Zurich. Their price was competative, (approx €150 for 2 dogs for one year, that also included € 5,000 of contents insurance )

4) A certificate confirming you have no criminal record of violence. The place you will need to get the cerficate confirming you have no criminal record of violence is at the DELEGACIONES MINISTERIALES, AVENIDO DE LA AURORA, MALAGA. It is located within walking distance of the central bus station in Malaga, a tall black building across the road from the red building the British Embassy is in.

Take with you your residencia document if you have one and your passport. There is no cost for this service. In the Delegaciones Ministeriales building go to the second floor to the Junta Andalusia Delegacion De Gobernacion where they will fill out the appropriate form for you to sign to make the application for the certificate. Once the check has been carried out the certificate will be sent to you in the post.

It is advisable to ask for a copy of the document you sign, as you can use this to go back to the ayuntamiento to get the license application stamped so as to get your dog chipped and vaccinated, if it has not already been done. You will not get the licence until all original documents are there.

The licence cost is €35 and must be renewed yearly.

5) From your Vet, A record book of the dogs vaccination, microchip cerficate and health certificate.

NOTE: THE NEW LAW FROM MARCH 2009, DOES NOT ALLOW VETS TO CHIP OR GIVE THE RABIES VACCINE TO ANY NEW DOG OR PUPPY THAT IS LISTED IN THE DANGEROUS DOG BREEDS, YOU SHOULD HAVE A STAMPED APPLICATION FORM FROM THE TOWN HALL OR THE DOG LICENCE FROM THE TOWN HALL, OR YOUR DOG LICENCE

If you do not have the licence, you will need all of the documents listed to get it. You may be able to get the application form stamped in order to get you dog chipped and vaccinated for rabies. I needed all the documents to get it stamped, except they allowed a copy that I had applied for proof of non-violence record. (The licence will be issued on receipt of all original documents.)

(Check with your vet or town hall for any changes in the law)

15 breeds of dogs are banned from private ownership unless licensed and controlled.

They are:

Pitt Bull Terrier;

- Staffordshire Bull Terrier (American Staffordshire Terrier);

- Rottweilers;

- Argentinan Dogo;

- Fila Brasileiro;

- Tosa lnu;

- Akita Inu;

- American Pitbull Terrier;

- Bull Mastiff;

- Doberman;

- Dogo de Burdeos;

- Dogo del Tibet;

- Mastín Napolitano;

- Canary Presa

-Mallorcan Presa (Ca de Bou).

Once these permits have been granted, the dog owner must carry a special identification card for each animal which when in public must be displayed. These dogs are not permitted in any area where children may be present; they must be muzzled at all times and be on a lead that is no longer than 1 meter. It is a criminal offense not to communicate to the police the loss of these animals within 24 hours of the animal going missing.

These dogs must not be used as guard dogs. Any attempt to use them as guard dogs, increase their aggression or prepare them for a violent use can result in a prosecution and fine of up to 15,025€.

These dogs cannot be specially trained above what is required for normal control of the animal. Only authorized police, fire, medical or army.

Trainers can carry out special training with these types of dogs, unless the Junta grants a special permit.

The animals must be kept under special conditions, authorised and inspected by an authorised vet, in an area that is surrounded by walls too high for the dog to leap, visible warning signs on the exterior, and escape proof fences and doors.

Also, the animals must undergo a regular checkup by a registered vet, who will examine the animal for signs of pathological or aggressive behavior – if such is detected the animal must be reported to the Police and may be put down without leave to appeal. If found abandoned the police are now authorised to shoot them if unable to catch them. At the beginning of the year there were 25,322 dangerous dogs registered in the Andalusian Animal Identification Registry www.raia.es, which is a list of all pets in Andalusia. Almost half were Rottweilers (12,314), followed by Pitbulls (7,366), Staffordshires (2,146), American Staffordshire (1,456), Argentinan Dogo (1,141). The least popular breeds were Akita-Inu’s(533), Fila Brasileiro (357) & the Tosa-Inu (9).

Dogs over 20kg, or dangerous breeds, must be muzzled and leashed at all times when in public

Being denounced with an unlicensed dangerous animal can result in a very large fine!

Feral or dangerous loose animals may be shot by the Police

All pets in Andalusia must be registered and licensed on the RAIA www.raia.es.

It’s best to check with your town hall (Ayuntamiento) on the breeds that are listed as dangerous dogs in your area, lists seem to differ according to areas. Some also name German shepherds and Boxers on their list.

I know this sounds scary, but it is not difficult to get the licence, and who knows if the law here in Spain will ever be enforced ?

You may check out more information on these websites:

http://www.thedogman.net/DogmanArticlesText.asp?ID=+202

http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/animals.asp

Sorry, altough I love Mattie I am not one of these people who let life changing moments be affected by an animal, any animal. In my first post I think I did mention that I am moving there after retiring from 50 years of hard work to a well deserved rest !

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:32

I am sorry if I am wrong on this but you only rescued her in December/January, and now your thinking of re-homing her again, your life changing moments affect the life of your dog and maybe you should have considered that before making a commitment.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:43

I'm afraid with your attitude you will get no more help form me.

YOU choose to get a dog, you should mean that for life, not to give up on the wim of moving.

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:50

janey wrote:I am sorry if I am wrong on this but you only rescued her in December/January, and now your thinking of re-homing her again, your life changing moments affect the life of your dog and maybe you should have considered that before making a commitment.
As Kieth who has been on here a few times knows well I bonded with Mattie ( know here as Sausage ) very quickly At the time my partner who lives in the Netherlands could not retire until 2017 when our intention was do all drive to Spain together from NL ( still concerned about the big difference in temperature 19 degrees in to 40 degrees) but we opted for January instead to give Mattie a chance to acclimatize. Howver she has been offered early retirement in March.

I think probably due to the shock of what has happened recently  my main reason is to get Mattie out of an area where now there suddenly seems to be dogs off the lead all over the place and of course irresponsible owners. I ask you to read the main concern of my post which was Mattie has been attacked Twice by a Staffy and what I supect is a Pitt bull or a Staffy with a lot PBT in it, in the last TWO DAYS!. So please concentrate on the main problem of I want Mattie to find a new home where she is not at risk by a bunch of clowns who have no idea of a what dog owners responsibilities are. If I do find suck a place do you want me to move there also ?????

The original problem I had which nobody seems to have noticed

I refuse to put Mattie with someone ( I had a really nice lady in mind had staffs all her life ) in an area that's full of irresponsible owners, no way !

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by craig46 Sat Sep 21 2013, 19:55

ella wrote:I'm afraid with your attitude you will get no more help form me.

YOU choose to get a dog, you should mean that for life, not to give up on the wim of moving.
Oh retiring is whim is it ? I thought that was kinda important ! Sad 

craig46

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Sep 21 2013, 20:02

This is our rescue centre list, hope this helps.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t10833-rescue-centres-list

I am going to lock the thread now before it gets heated.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down