Need a bit of advice

Go down

Need a bit of advice Empty Need a bit of advice

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 11:03

Hi guys.

I'm moving house next saturday and have 2 questions.

1 - How likely is it that Charlie is going to scent mark the new house and is there any way I can discourage it?

2 - How do I teach him to wee and poo in one place? Up until now, he has been able to go out into our little courtyard,have a sniff and do his business wherever he wants and then I clean it up. In the new house, we have a nice grassy back garden for the children to play in so obviously I don't want Charlie going anywhere he pleases for a wee or poo. Any ideas how I can get him to use just one place in the garden so I can maybe isolate it from the rest and tell my children not to play there?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Need a bit of advice Empty Re: Need a bit of advice

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 11:25

The scent marking is actually far easier than it sounds as long as you're observant & quick. Not all dogs will scent mark a new home, but if it looks like he's going to, a firm "No!" and straight into the garden will pretty soon get him back on track.

The garden's a hard one, though. Is there any way you can fence off the part you want him to go in? That way you can start from scartch with his training - take him outside to 'his' place and let him have a good sniff around; he'll pee sooner or later. After that he'll want to go back to where he's already peed. If he tries to pee or poo in the off limits area, just give a firm "no" again and take him to his place.

Hopefully he'll catch on quick, but I've never had to put it into practice myself, so...............

Goos luck on the move!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2011, 20:41

Thanks Caryll, I will try and fence off the part I want him to use and will be very observant of him for the first few days. My landlady will not be happy if he starts scent marking!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 00:57

Just try and act as though you've been there for years & he'll soon settle in. If he pees in the house use a solution of biological washing powder to clean it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 09:12

You can buy wee posts which are meant to attract the dog to it when he/she wants to relieve themselves. Never tried one so have no idea if it works.
Hope the move goes smoothly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23 2011, 11:28

hope evrything goes ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down