Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions?

+3
janey
kelpie
Kell
7 posters

Go down

Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? Empty Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions?

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 11:51

I have fallen in love again .. with a 2 year old male staff who is looking for a forever home. He has had poor care, is very underweight and is currently being treated for dermodex (which has seen him loose hair over all his legs, tummy and chest) ... he is however incredibly well natured and his eyes just scream 'please love me!'.

Now I had planned upon getting a second staff at some stage, however with Chiquito at 7 months I had not planned upon it being quite so soon HOWEVER I really would like to consider giving this young man a forever home.

As a family we have discussed the option, and have agreed we are willing and able to take on a second dog and the added work that goes with. Financially we are able to have two dogs, my current yard and the new house yard are large enough for two, my bed still has room for one more and I've checked with our obedience club who have said they would be happy to place him in their beginner classes.

My question is though, at 7 months is Chiquito too young to have another dog join the family? He is happy, well settled and has had no issues with other dogs who have stayed with us, however he is my first and foremost responsibility and I would not like to do anything that would not be in his best interest.

I would be happy to hear any opinions, whether for or against.
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? Empty Re: Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 12:07

Have had no experience Kell sorry, but I would think if the rescue dog is older it should be ok.
How exciting let us know what happens xx

Back to top Go down

Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? Empty Re: Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions?

Post by kelpie Sun Sep 15 2013, 12:21

As it's an older dog, and it's fairly well balanced with no real issues, I'd be out there seeing how they get on! Go and have several meetings over a few days if you can, let them decide for you Big Grin Good luck Big Grin
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 15 2013, 12:27

If you have the time and money go for it! Good luck Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sun Sep 15 2013, 12:29

No experience here either Kell, but that is very exciting! Hopefully it all works out Smile Let us know how it goes, and pics of course if you have a few meet ups Smile xx
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sun Sep 15 2013, 12:43

No experience with this either, but as Claire suggests, why not organise a couple of meets, perhaps on neutral ground then on Chiquito's home turf and let the dogs make the decision for you. Hope it works out.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:02

Great for Chiquito if he has no issues with another male in the house and a nice settled age for the other boy ( the norm would be to go for a female but as you are aware it has worked out for others ) , sounds like he really needs a good home too Smile

Go out and have some meet ups and best of luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:06

Thank you to all for your replies Smile

kelpie wrote:As it's an older dog, and it's fairly well balanced with no real issues, I'd be out there seeing how they get on! Go and have several meetings over a few days if you can, let them decide for you :DGood luck Big Grin
reuben wrote:No experience with this either, but as Claire suggests, why not organise a couple of meets, perhaps on neutral ground then on Chiquito's home turf and let the dogs make the decision for you. Hope it works out.
Thanks for the suggestions .. meeting over several days and then at home as well wasn't something I had thought of.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:13

Dave wrote:Great for Chiquito if he has no issues with another male  in the house and a nice settled age for the other boy ( the norm would be to go for a female but as you are aware it has worked out for others ) , sounds like he really needs a good home too Smile

Go out and have some meet ups and best of luck Smile
Thanks Dave Smile

I do know that the recommendation is opposite sex for two as they get along better .. not something I have experience with though. Would you think that if they get along well now as two males they will be okay, or would be possible that they may have issues as Chiquito matures?
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:28

To be honest Kell , I couldn't really comment on that . The whole male / female thing is just what people think works out as the best chance , there is nothing to say that a male / female combination wouldn't work out worse its more about statistics than anything .

Personally I think Chiquito is young enough now to adjust and grow up with dog no 2 . Tommy has big balls with other dogs ( he wanted to kill my son's Bull Mastiff last week I dont want to s  ) But the dogs that they grow up with in their own home are different .

You will always be taking a gamble to a certain extent , you just have to be doubly aware of all the body language , possible triggers etc and be ready to act , lots of research and plenty of help from here

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:40

Thanks again Dave - I appreciate it being a difficult question to answer Smile

Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:40

Harv was 9 months old when we got chance who was 18 months old, both male obviously EVERYONE told us it wouldn't work, that they would never get on and 2 years later here we are Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:42

ella wrote: both male obviously EVERYONE told us it wouldn't work, that they would never get on and 2 years later here we are Wink
Not EVERYONE said that!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:46

ella wrote:Harv was 9 months old when we got chance who was 18 months old, both male obviously EVERYONE told us it wouldn't work, that they would never get on and 2 years later here we are Wink
Thanks Ella ... great to hear considering how close the ages are to what Choc and the new dog would be Smile

Do you mind my asking how long it took for your boys to settle in together and whether you allowed/allow them to be alone together?
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:52

janey wrote:
ella wrote: both male obviously EVERYONE told us it wouldn't work, that they would never get on and 2 years later here we are Wink
Not EVERYONE said that!
Afraid they did including people on here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:56

Kell wrote:
ella wrote:Harv was 9 months old when we got chance who was 18 months old, both male obviously EVERYONE told us it wouldn't work, that they would never get on and 2 years later here we are Wink
Thanks Ella ... great to hear considering how close the ages are to what Choc and the new dog would be Smile

Do you mind my asking how long it took for your boys to settle in together and whether you allowed/allow them to be alone together?
TBH they were very much settled from day one, they hit it off brilliantly and were best friends from the off.

Because of Chance's past they were never left unsupervised together for the first 6-8 months then we slowly started leaving them out together in the house with free reign while we were out, short spells at first.

Now they are together 24/7 with free access to the whole house whether we are in or not Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 13:59

ella wrote:
janey wrote:
Not EVERYONE said that!
Afraid they did including people on here
Not me Ella , and to be 100% fair you are testament to what can be achieved with patience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 14:05

Fine 99% of people did and said we should get a female but I wouldn't change Chance for anything Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 14:07

ella wrote:Fine 99% of people did and said we should get a female but I wouldn't change Chance for anything Big Grin
But we've sacked them all since Big Grin  Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 14:08

Laughing haha too right Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 16:21

Aww kell it sounds like you could give this boy a lovely home, I'm sure with lots of meets chiquito & he can be the best of friends Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Sep 15 2013, 16:31

Are you able to take Chiquito into the rescue centre so both dogs can meet up there with the rescue centre staff on hand and in a controlled environment ?? This is what I would try first to see how they get along.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Sep 15 2013, 22:01

Thanks again for all the replies Smile

Dave wrote:
ella wrote:Fine 99% of people did and said we should get a female but I wouldn't change Chance for anything Big Grin
But we've sacked them all since Big Grin   Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 Adopting a new fur baby .. opinions? 3198918699 
Laughing Does this mean I should record all responses now Wink 

Kathy wrote:Are you able to take Chiquito into the rescue centre so both dogs can meet up there with the rescue centre staff on hand and in a controlled environment ?? This is what I would try first to see how they get along.
Thanks Kathy Smile I have emailed the centre and asked lots of questions, will see what they come back with regarding visits and let you know ...
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 22:14

I've never had more than one dog at a time, so shouldn't really comment, but being gobby me, I will. And I think it all depends on the two dogs involved and how they take to each other.

At 9 months old, and entire, my Kuchar came across a much older Patterdale Terrier (neutered) who was aggressive to all other dogs. To cut a long story short, they became the best of friends (always meeting on neutral territory) but I feel sure that if either one were to be brought to live with the other, they would still be best friends.

Good luck Kell!

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Sep 15 2013, 22:20

janey wrote:
Not EVERYONE said that!
True Big Grin 
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 16 2013, 01:38

doe wrote:
janey wrote:
Not EVERYONE said that!
True Big Grin 
Shame no one said it was a good idea, or supported us in it though....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 17 2013, 06:24

Any news Kell? Have you made a decision? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down