here we go again with the food agression

+2
Sazzle
Nuala
6 posters

Go down

here we go again with the food agression Empty here we go again with the food agression

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 04 2013, 16:55

Hey ho, well things were going swimmingly with Thistle after growling and snapping at me during her mealtimes, after taking advice she has been fine with her kibbles now, it seems when I introduce anything new she gets possesive with it, she tried with her kong but I got on top of that, I bought her a rawhide today because I thought it would help with her teething, and I kind of expected her to be a bit 'funny' with it, and she was, growled and snapped at me as I walked past her, so I managed to get it off her by distracting her with another treat, I gave it back and then told her to leave which she did momentarily, but growled and snapped and launched herself at me, she is a big dog now, I haven't given her it back, although I have let her chew it while I hold it. Am I going to have to go through this every time I introduce her to anything new? I know she thinks that I am going to take it off her now so she will protect it, but I had to take it off her because she growled when I walked past her as she was chewing it, should I just continue to let her chew it while I hold it, and then let her have it and try and remove it again?????? Don't want to give mixed messages.
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

here we go again with the food agression Empty Re: here we go again with the food agression

Post by Sazzle Sun Aug 04 2013, 21:03

It's not something I've had to deal with but yes you need to be consistent.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

here we go again with the food agression Empty Re: here we go again with the food agression

Post by Guest Sun Aug 04 2013, 21:50

Thistle is still a baby, and does need to understand that possessiveness over food or toys is not an option.

However, many puppies love to play tug-of-war, have you got one of those rope toys you can play with her? She may very well growl, but at this age particularly it will be a "play" growl, so don't worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 04 2013, 21:59

Well yes I get the play growls, this was a snarl and then a jump up and try to snap at me, I can differentiate now after initially thinking was being aggressive towards me when she was younger, I don't think she would intentionally hurt me, but she does have issues with food, I think it is because she was weaned too early then fed just 2 large meals a day, it's just as she gets bigger it is harder to deal with I found a helpful link though and it seems to be working. http://www.centerforshelterdogs.org/Portals/0/CSD%20PDFs/DeliciousChewToyTraining.pdf
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 05 2013, 00:10

The link looks to be a reasonable way of dealing with food aggression, although it seems a bit long winded!Big Grin 

Nuala wrote: I think it is because she was weaned too early then fed just 2 large meals a day,

There's your cause. I'm willing to bet that, as well as being weaned too early & only having two meals, she was probably fed, with the rest of the litter, from one large bowl!

Therefore, from a very early stage, she's had to fight for her food. That's so sad!Sad 

Keep plugging on with whichever method you choose to use (as long as it's a positive, non punishment one), and she will eventually realise that you are not going to deprive her of her food. At the end of the day, it all comes down to trust, and that can only be earned through patience & perseverence.

She'll get there!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Mon Aug 05 2013, 03:51

Aw poor thing, she had to fight for her food from a very young age! How terrible! Fortunately she is still young and you can stop this behavior. As Caryll said find a positive method and stick to it! Consistency and patience is key! She will learn that this is unacceptable behavior but it will take time! Keep us updated on her progress!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Aug 06 2013, 13:50

Ahh poor Thistle! Great advice above, also if you found that your method has worked with previous foods, you must keep consistent with the same method, keep at it, she will test her boundaries as she is only young, you will both get there eventually! Good luck Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Fri Aug 09 2013, 21:50

Thanks......again:)  I tried the method from the link, which worked, although it seems that once the novelty of the new food has worn off she'd not really bothered, she snarls and snaps at me when I pull her off cat pooh! that was a bit of a worry the other day because she found some on my daughters lawn and I was worried about her snapping at my grandson again he he went near her when she found it, because she had a go at me. I just tied her up to be on the safe side. I think she will have the propensity to be possessive for a while so I'll just have to keep on top of it.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 21:54

It won't happen overnight, but as long as you're consistent it will start to improve.

For the time being I'd make sure she's watched closely whenever there's a chance of food/cat poo around your grandson - nobody wants accidents to happen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 11 2013, 10:22

Thanks I am continually vigilant with any dog around children.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sun Aug 11 2013, 10:41

Never had this problem with Bacchus and he was fed from a communal bowl along with his sisters ( mind you he was the biggest by a long way). From day one, as with all my previous dogs, I would put his food down to him, make him wait a couple of seconds then let him eat a small amount, lift the dish and then give it straight back. He then realised that he was not going to be deprived of his food. None of my dogs have been food possessive/aggressive even with raw bones etc.
As the others have said, it's a matter of building the pups trust that you won't deprive him of his food.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG SBT Sun Aug 11 2013, 11:04

With every dog in my family when the dogs eating from a pups age we always stroke them and take their food of them for a second them give them it back, so far it has worked with all my familys dogs as none are food aggresive nor toy/treat agressive. When Boss is eating and another dog comes along he would push them away with his bum but never snap or growl which im happy about as my other dogs a tiny jack russel lol.
BIG SBT
BIG SBT
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
here we go again with the food agression Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Boss
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 11 2013, 20:32

That's what baffles me because I did all the above things when I got her at 8 weeks, it started when my 3 year old Grandson walked past her in the kitchen one day when she was having her tea, maybe it's because it's just me and the dog in the house and she saw him as a threat, although I have two cats and she doesn't seemed bothered by them. She seems quite possessive over a lot of things, although not toys, we are having a battle with the settee now, she's not allowed on it without invitation from me, if I catch her on it when my back is turned I tell her off, she usually ignores this and I have to pick her up and lift her off, she's started snarling at me now, which I ignore and just calmly put her on the ground, I'm wondering if I should stop the nightly cuddles on the settee for a while, I usually give her an hour with me, what do you think?
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11 2013, 20:42

Tbh Nuala, I think Thistle is confused over the settee thing. Either a dog is allowed onto the furniture, or it is not. No half and halfs or only when I say so.

If you really don't want her on the furniture then restrict your cuddles to the floor. She's young yet and will learn if you don't confuse her!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:06

Ok Lynda, good point, I Just didn't want her to get territorial over it, I had an incident with my mum's dog when I went to sit on the settee, her dog bit me because I sat where she (the dog) normally sat, which I didn't know, although it wasn't specifically allocated as her 'spot' I've never allowed any of my previous dogs onto the furniture at all, but as I am on my own I thought it would be nice to have a cuddle every now and then, but only when I'm on it and with my permission.maybe it's too late to stop the ritual now, although she is only 4months.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:10

its ok to have restrictions , you just have to make sure she knows not to come up unless you say so , just make sure you don't limit it to a small period of time though

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:18

I understand your fears about being territorial in light of your experience with your Mum's dog. But Thistle is still only a baby at 4 months old and forgive me for saying, but I get the impression that you are a bit scared of her. She might, just might, sense this and try to push her boundaries (as kids will).

I've never experienced this with my own dogs, hopefully someone with more experience can advise?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:25

That's what I do Dave, only in the evenings, I say 'cuddles' and she jumps up on to me, after maybe an hour, sometimes more, depends on fidgeting and flatulence Smile I put her on the floor. She will sneak up in the day when I'm preoccupied, which is when I tell her 'off' she's only snarled a couple of times when I have to lift her off, mainly just grumbles, I think because of the issues I've had with her food aggression it has made me worry about the slightest indication of defiance, when it's probably perfectly normal. I will worry about not having anything to worry about Rolling Eyes
No I'm not scared of her and the incident with my mums dog was a long time ago and I didn't let her get the better of me, she was a very spoilt weimararmer. Thistle and I both have strong characters so it is a constant battle of wills.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:30

when I am on the couch then the dogs are too but I "let them " up so its more about them asking permission rather than a treat . The bed is theirs ( they are on it now ) and I just look for some available space Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Sun Aug 11 2013, 22:02

So do they get on the couch when you're not there, or not on it?
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 12 2013, 00:14

Nuala wrote:Ok Lynda, good point, I Just didn't want her to get territorial over it, I had an incident with my mum's dog when I went to sit on the settee, her dog bit me because I sat where she (the dog) normally sat, which I didn't know, although it wasn't specifically allocated as her 'spot' I've never allowed any of my previous dogs onto the furniture at all, but as I am on my own I thought it would be nice to have a cuddle every now and then, but only when I'm on it and with my permission.maybe it's too late to stop the ritual now, although she is only 4months.
What you could do is stop her getting on the settee at all right now, but when she's older and better behaved you could maybe relent a little if she (or you) wants a cuddle.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Mon Aug 12 2013, 16:34

Thanks Caryll, I was considering that, I just didn't want to keep moving the goal posts, although she jumped on the settee this morning, and I told her 'off' and she got off! Although she did it again this afternoon, and I had to lift her off, once again with a grumble and a snarl, although I have to say I think she's 'getting it' as far as biting tugging etc etc she has been loads better today, and because I am a worrier I started thinking there was something wrong with her doh 
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 12 2013, 17:44

She's really just pushing her luck. As long as whatever you decide to do, you do consistently she'll get there.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down