Help

Go down

Help Empty Help

Post by aj Tue Apr 12 2011, 15:23

Hi need some advise, Bella my 9 month staffy diagnosed with luxating patella in both legs but the vet said she may grow out of it as her muscles develope more and she grows. Has anyone else had it diagnosed early and grown out of it. Also what a the best supplements to give to her as the vets charge £75.00 for a tub! would appreciate any advise I'm am really worried.

Sad
aj
aj
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bella
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help Empty Re: Help

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 15:42

Although i havent had any experiance with it myself,Glucosamine Chondroitin and MSM is a vitamin supplement that is reccomended for luxating patella,and is about £5 for 360 tablets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 21:53

I hate to say this, but I've never known a dog to 'grow out of' luxaring patellas. Sad

By all means give her the supplements that Lisa sugests, they will do a lot of good, especially with joint stiffness, but it won't change the shape of the patella or the groove it sits in.

The muscles will strengthen and the signs of the patellas slipping may not be so noticable, but they will still be there. You can have them operated on, depending on how bad they are and whether it is the patella itself or the groove that is at fault. If it's the groove the vet can gauge out a better groove for the patellas to sit in, and that will often do the trick, but not all vets can or will do it, and it's an expensive proceedure, especially if you don't have insurance.

Having said all of that, if the knees aren't that bad, then she could go her whole life without any real problems, just the ocasional 'slip'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum