George doesnt like his car rides - :(

4 posters

Go down

George doesnt like his car rides -  :( Empty George doesnt like his car rides - :(

Post by derek53 Sat Aug 03 2013, 15:58

Poppys toyboy George hates riding in the car. He is fine getting into the car and our closing the door, but as soon as we start moving his moaning and cries wears us out. Even Poppy tells him to get sorted.

George is a rescue and was about three when we adopted him. The rescue staff believe it was that why his previous family gave him up for adoption.

George suffered seperation anxiety but we have got him over that so we intend to get him over this travelling thingy.

We have tried all sorts, giving him his best toy, treats, those sprays and collars with aromatherapy oils in them, over the counter natural stress less pills, but we ended taking more than George did !!  We now have a blanket / coat which we are going to try nice and slowly.

Just wondered if anyone could offer  any more therapies.

Thanks

Last edited by derek53 on Sat Aug 03 2013, 15:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell)
derek53
derek53
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Femal
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

George doesnt like his car rides -  :( Empty Re: George doesnt like his car rides - :(

Post by janey Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:01

Are you able to put a crate in the car? Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

George doesnt like his car rides -  :( Empty Re: George doesnt like his car rides - :(

Post by Guest Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:11

Have you tried a thundershirt , we found some improvements with this but not a total cure. Don't know what the travel arrangements are fr you but ours travel in harnesses on the back seat with restraints . Vast improvement as well if someone travels in the back to reassure them

Back to top Go down

Post by derek53 Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:49

Dave wrote:Have you tried a thundershirt , we found some improvements with this but not a total cure. Don't know what the travel arrangements are fr you but ours travel in harnesses on the back seat with restraints . Vast improvement as well if someone travels in the back to reassure them

Yes we have only just started getting him used to his shirt.
We haven't tried him sitting in the back with a harness on, so will have to get two as our two dont like being parted and then we can see if there is enough space for me Sad

thank you all for your advice applause 
derek53
derek53

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by derek53 Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:52

janey wrote:Are you able to put a crate in the car? Xx

We tried this, but sadly it made him worse. We tried a blanket on the top, but no didn't like that

thank you for your reply Big Grin 
derek53
derek53

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:55

Can you put a crate in the car?
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Sat Aug 03 2013, 17:00

start slowley. sit in the car with him and make it fun, then do it with the engine running, build up to moving the car a few feet, then stopping and having a play. dont comfort him if he's upset, he'll associate being stressed with attention, not what ou want (sounds heartless i know). just build the journeys up to driving down the road, round the block, around town, along your usual walk routes etc. a long road, but you'll see improvement.

these are just my experiances, me and Lola were in a car accident last may (a 4x4 tried to drive through me...) Lola had been fine beforehand, understandably was stressed ont he home journey after the bump, and when i went to take her in the car a week later, she flipped out, panting, whining hyperventilating etc. i asked advice, and was given the above, and have worked with it. she's still not perfect, but a lot calmer and very, very alert in the car nowadays, but it means i can actually drive places with her.

best of luck Big Grin
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 03 2013, 17:26

derek53 wrote:
Dave wrote:Have you tried a thundershirt , we found some improvements with this but not a total cure. Don't know what the travel arrangements are fr you but ours travel in harnesses on the back seat with restraints . Vast improvement as well if someone travels in the back to reassure them

Yes we have only just started getting him used to his shirt.
We haven't tried him sitting in the back with a harness on, so will have to get two as our two dont like being parted and then we can see if there is enough space for me Sad

thank you all for your advice applause 

Never tried Tommy in the boot as Tilly didn't like it and got really stressed, back seat worked for us . But have to say I like them where I can see them anyway just makes me more comfortable.

I use an Ezydog harness for walking and then a seat belt adaptor to buckle em in

Back to top Go down

Post by derek53 Sat Aug 03 2013, 19:09

asa-james wrote:start slowley. sit in the car with him and make it fun, then do it with the engine running, build up to moving the car a few feet, then stopping and having a play. dont comfort him if he's upset, he'll associate being stressed with attention, not what ou want (sounds heartless i know). just build the journeys up to driving down the road, round the block, around town, along your usual walk routes etc. a long road, but you'll see improvement.

these are just my experiance's, me and Lola were in a car accident last may (a 4x4 tried to drive through me...) Lola had been fine beforehand, understandably was stressed ont he home journey after the bump, and when i went to take her in the car a week later, she flipped out, panting, whining hyperventilating etc. i asked advice, and was given the above, and have worked with it. she's still not perfect, but a lot calmer and very, very alert in the car nowadays, but it means i can actually drive places with her.

best of luck Big Grin

Thank you and I will follow your advice. Thinking about the onset of Georges problem with journeys he had always been a bit of a moaner but his present problem started just after we were hit up the backside as we waited at a roundabout. No one was hurt thankfully but it probably did hurt his confidence. It was your mention of your accident that jogged my memory - I had completely forgotten about it - a senior moment !!!
derek53
derek53

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down