waking up early

5 posters

Go down

waking up early Empty waking up early

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 06:25

Hi everyone I have a 13 week old staff pup named sasha. She is really good at night and goes in her crate no problem she knows its bed time as its the only time she is really put in there. The problem is that she insists on getting up at roughly 5 sometimes earlier in the morning. I have tried letting her out to go to the toilet and then giving her a frozen kong toy with peanut butter in she wasn't interested have also covered crate with a blanket to make it dark but made no difference. I have a demanding job with long hours so a couple of extra hours sleep at the weekend would be greatly welcomed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A very tired owner x
janfrost489
janfrost489
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

waking up early Empty Re: waking up early

Post by Wrigley Fri Aug 02 2013, 07:38

When is her bedtime? Can you keep her up a bit later? Is anyone else getting up and waking her? My lazy brat is pretty good at staying in bed until he actually hears us get up in the morning.
Wrigley
Wrigley
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wrigley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26/02/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 07:49

She went to bed at 10.30 last night after running around and playing with a friends staff puppy who is the same age as sasha. There is only myself and my husband at home so nobody woke her unless it was something in the garden as she sleeps in a crate which is in the wet room at the back of the house. I get up let her out in the garden then she comes back in lays on her bed in the living room and goes back to sleep if I put her back in her crate she just wrecks it (tears up the training pad, knocks over her water etc). I have tried putting in toys etc but to no avail
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:06

TBH at 13 weeks she is doing great to sleep from 10.30 to 5. When Bacchus was that age I set the alarm and got up at 3am every night, took him out to the garden to do his business then straight back to his crate. I usually had to wake him up for this, but I found it easier to get back to sleep at this time as it gave me another 4 hrs in bed ( we normally go to bed around 11 and get up at 7 ). The important thing is, when you get up during the night to take her out, NO interaction apart from lots of praise when she does her business, then straight back into the crate. No baby talk etc. it's difficult I know, but no matter how appealing and big sad eyes, no interaction. Could you and your partner take alternate nights so that one of you gets a good night's sleep? It's only for a few weeks as she will soon be able to go all night.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:10

My pup was younger when i had that problem,when i first got my pup he woke up around 5am but he grew out of it after 2 weeks and just gets up when were up,he normally just chews his toys while waiting Smile, make sure he has some toys beside him that may help
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:15

reuben wrote:TBH at 13 weeks she is doing great to sleep from 10.30 to 5.  When Bacchus was that age I set the alarm and got up at 3am every night, took him out to the garden to do his business then straight back to his crate. I usually had to wake him up for this, but I found it easier to get back to sleep at this time as it gave me another 4 hrs in bed ( we normally go to bed around 11 and get up at 7 ).  The important thing is, when you get up during the night to take her out, NO interaction apart from lots of praise when she does her business, then straight back into the crate.  No baby talk etc. it's difficult I know, but no matter how appealing and big sad eyes, no interaction. Could you and your partner take alternate nights so that one of you gets a good night's sleep?  It's only for a few weeks as she will soon be able to go all night.  

Good advice!

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:20

Caryll wrote:
reuben wrote:TBH at 13 weeks she is doing great to sleep from 10.30 to 5.  When Bacchus was that age I set the alarm and got up at 3am every night, took him out to the garden to do his business then straight back to his crate. I usually had to wake him up for this, but I found it easier to get back to sleep at this time as it gave me another 4 hrs in bed ( we normally go to bed around 11 and get up at 7 ).  The important thing is, when you get up during the night to take her out, NO interaction apart from lots of praise when she does her business, then straight back into the crate.  No baby talk etc. it's difficult I know, but no matter how appealing and big sad eyes, no interaction. Could you and your partner take alternate nights so that one of you gets a good night's sleep?  It's only for a few weeks as she will soon be able to go all night.  

Good advice!

Thanks Caryll. Praise indeed coming from an experienced bull breed owner. Just passing on what I found worked with, as you know, my first staffy.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by wilf2812 Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:48

My pup is six months now but the best advise I was given was to go to bed and set the alarm to wake up approximately 4 hours after (or however long you think your pup can hold her toilet for) going to bed and let her out for toilet and then put her back to bed without getting her excited. Each night we moved the alarm by half an hour until eventually he was holding himself from 10pm-approx half 6 or 7am. This took no more than a week. It's horrible to think you have to set your alarm for this time of the morning but it's not for long and it really works. I would also advise not to put training pad in the crate as this will encourage her to toilet on it which most puppies don't like doing in their crate. Also, water in the crate at night is not a good thing and they don't need it. Make sure she doesn't drink too much either before bed. I put a command to my puppy when he was peeing, saying 'go pee pee' and now when I say it he goes almost straight away. Good luck!
wilf2812
wilf2812
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson-Blue
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 11:04

Hi she is really good during the day going out in the garden and doesn't have mistakes in the house. I woke up slightly before her this morning and she hadn't used the training pad at all im now wondering if she is barking to wake me up because she needs to go out. Thanks for the advice about the training pad and water I didn't know thought I was doing the right thing. Last time I owned a puppy puppy pads crates etc didnt really exist. Will take your advice and set my alarm for earlier then just put her back in her crate for a while. Thanks everyone for all your advice it was really helpful x
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 11:29

janfrost489 wrote:Hi she is really good during the day going out in the garden and doesn't have mistakes in the house. I woke up slightly before her this morning and she hadn't used the training pad at all im now wondering if she is barking to wake me up because she needs to go out. Thanks for the advice about the training pad and water I didn't know thought I was doing the right thing.  Last time I owned a puppy puppy pads crates etc didnt really exist. Will take your advice and set my alarm for earlier then just put her back in her crate for a while.  Thanks everyone for all your advice it was really helpful x

You'll be surprised how quickly it all comes together. They really are very smart little dogs. This is why you must be consistent with training as they will pick up on any weaknesses and exploit them.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 11:34

Youre right she learns really quickly, she sits for her food and treats and when we take her for a walk she sits and waits by every kerb until I tell her to walk on. She's a fantastic puppy and we wouldn't be without her I shouldn't moan really she could be a lot worse my friends staff puppy who is the same age as sasha is a chewer and hasnt learnt to go to the toilet outside yet so I think shes doing pretty good Smile
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 11:41

janfrost489 wrote:Youre right she learns really quickly, she sits for her food and treats and when we take her for a walk she sits and waits by every kerb until I tell her to walk on. She's a fantastic puppy and we wouldn't be without her I shouldn't moan really she could be a lot worse my friends staff puppy who is the same age as sasha is a chewer and hasnt learnt to go to the toilet outside yet so I think shes doing pretty good Smile

The difference could well be down to your training and the amount of time spent with her. Having said that, Bacchus has never been destructive, but I'm retired and he is my constant companion. But even so, he is now 1 year old and it's only in the last couple of months I've had the confidence to give him the run of the house during the night or when we're out.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 02 2013, 11:43

Rodger, I love your avatar pic! Whenever I think of Reuben, I tend to think of that cute little pup - wow, he's grown!

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 12:07

Caryll wrote:Rodger, I love your avatar pic! Whenever I think of Reuben, I tend to think of that cute little pup - wow, he's grown!

Bacchus !!!!!
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 12:14

reuben wrote:
Caryll wrote:Rodger, I love your avatar pic! Whenever I think of Reuben, I tend to think of that cute little pup - wow, he's grown!

Bacchus !!!!!

Thanks Caryll, as I said on a previous post, his breeder who has become a friend and baby sitter for him, posted that pic on her facebook and has been contacted by several friends and fellow breeders to ask if he is available for stud.

If I'm interested, I've never done this with any of my previous dogs, he would go to her ( 10 mins by car ) and have the bitches come to him.

Your thoughts???

reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 12:19

Hi yes we spend lots of time with her she is never really alone just for a couple of hours when we both go shopping. I work in a school so have lots of holidays and my hubby is a house husband so is at home most of the time. Saying that I think I may have made a bit of a mistake someone who breeds staffs told me that as she was the last born it would be a good idea to put a drop of gosts milk in with her food to build her up as she was so small. The only problem is now she is licking all the milk up and not eating her food have given her food only today and she wont touch it Sad
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 13:20

janfrost489 wrote:Hi yes we spend lots of time with her she is never really alone just for a couple of hours when we both go shopping.  I work in a school so have lots of holidays and my hubby is a house husband so is at home most of the time. Saying that I think I may have made a bit of a mistake someone who breeds staffs told me that as she was the last born it would be a good idea to put a drop of gosts milk in with her food to build her up as she was so small. The only problem is now she is licking all the milk up and not eating her food have given her food only today and she wont touch it Sad

As I said, they are smart little buggers. If she has been enjoying that particular food previously don't give in, she won't starve. Put her food down to her, if she doesn't start to eat within 5 mins, take it away and give her nothing, absolutely nothing, until her next meal time. She will soon learn to eat what's put in front of her. I know it sounds harsh but if you don't take action now you could end up with a picky eater. If she has never been keen on that food, try introducing her very gradually to a different food. I doubt she will need goats milk if you are feeding her a GOOD complete food, but you could make scrambled egg with it and give her this as one of her meals.

Re the chewing, all puppies like to chew but with her having constant company you are able to divert her, if necessary, to her own toys. A puppy doesn't know the difference between a D&G handbag and an old slipper.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 13:32

Thats why I make sure that I put my handbags away lol. Im feeding her wainwrites lamb and rice dry food which was recommended to me as she was on morrisons tinned food when I picked her up. I did what you suggested about tsking the food up but she runs to the fridge and sits in front of it im sure she knows that the milk is in there shes a stubborn little puppy I know that much
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Aug 02 2013, 13:46

janfrost489 wrote:Thats why I make sure that I put my handbags away lol. Im feeding her wainwrites lamb and rice dry food which was recommended to me as she was on morrisons tinned food when I picked her up. I did what you suggested about tsking the food up but she runs to the fridge and sits in front of it im sure she knows that the milk is in there shes a stubborn little puppy I know that much

Please don't give in, you won't be doing her any favours. Wainwrights is a very acceptable food.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down