Not eating??!!

3 posters

Go down

Not eating??!! Empty Not eating??!!

Post by jasmyn Thu Aug 01 2013, 20:53

My Sapphie is now 4.5 months old and shes not eating as much as she should. On the tins it says 2 and a half a day, she barely gets through 1 a day! We've tried all different brands for weeks at a time, so its not flavour, we've tried crunchies, she eats like one at a time and after her 10th crunchie, she walks away. We've left the food out all the time so she can pick at it throughout the day but she doesn't eat it. So now we have set meal times, if she don't eat it we pick it up, offer her it again in 10 mins then pick it up til next meal time. Still not working!!! banghead The thing is, I'm panicking as our previous staffy Guinness was like this as a pup and she ended up having a long term illness (Mega E) diagnosed at 3 years old and passed due to it at 4 and I cannot deal with this again!!!!!!!! what if she has it too??! I'm panicking big time!!!!!

Please help !!! help Crying or Very sad 
jasmyn
jasmyn
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphirre
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Not eating??!! Empty Re: Not eating??!!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 20:57

What brand of food do you feed?

Personally I wouldn't give tinned food - there's so much water in it that they have to eat about 3 times as much a dry food, and their poor little bellies struggle!

If she's growing well, isn't skinny and is lively & happy then I wouldn't stress about it. Don't forget that appetites in this weather can flag a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by jasmyn Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:01

Caryll wrote:What brand of food do you feed?

Personally I wouldn't give tinned food - there's so much water in it that they have to eat about 3 times as much a dry food, and their poor little bellies struggle!

If she's growing well, isn't skinny and is lively & happy then I wouldn't stress about it. Don't forget that appetites in this weather can flag a bit.

We've tried every brand lol from pedigree-butchers-winalot-own branded-chappie... She's very active which makes me more worried as what she does eat she probs burns straight off lol im hoping its this heat :/ I might try pets at home food wainwrights, Thanks for the advice, if i can find a food where she don't have to eat that much that would probably do it thumbs up 
jasmyn
jasmyn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:05

jasmyn wrote:We've tried every brand lol from pedigree-butchers-winalot-own branded-chappie...  

None of these are good! In fact, very few of the foods you can buy in a supermarket are any good.Sad 

You could try Wainwrights (Pets at Home's own brand) which is a good, mid-priced food. I really would go for dry food, though - tinned food isn't the best, and in this heat it can go off remarkably quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by jasmyn Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:10

Caryll wrote:
jasmyn wrote:We've tried every brand lol from pedigree-butchers-winalot-own branded-chappie...  

None of these are good! In fact, very few of the foods you can buy in a supermarket are any good.Sad 

You could try Wainwrights (Pets at Home's own brand) which is a good, mid-priced food. I really would go for dry food, though - tinned food isn't the best, and in this heat it can go off remarkably quickly!

Yeah the only thing is, that shes not too keen on dry food, plus shes hardly got no teeth at the moment hahaha Laughing poor girl, i shall look around the pet shops Smile
jasmyn
jasmyn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:13

You can add a raw egg or tinned sardines in oil or tomato sauce to the dry to make it more appetizing Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:13

You can always mix a little warm water with the kibble, just while she's teething, or add a raw egg or even a couple of sardines in oil to make it more appetising!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:14

Ooops! You beat me to it!

Last edited by Caryll on Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:14; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:14

If its only wet your using i would suggest natures menu trays as they are much better than the tinned stuff. Dry food is defo best and u could soak it with a tad warm water to soften n release smell n flavour
rico24
rico24
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Not eating??!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content