leaving billy

3 posters

Go down

leaving billy Empty leaving billy

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09 2011, 15:24

my hubby just got some bad news today, he normally only works sat and sunday, but he has been told that from july he will be working 5 day shifts - either 6 till 2 or 2 to 10.

the is bad news as billy has never been left on his own for any length of time, what i wanted to ask was if my oh gets the early shift it means billy will be left for about 5 hours Sad if he gets trhe late shift he will only be left for
2 1/2 hours, so it would be better if he got that shift, but of course he wants the other one

i was thinking of giving billy the run of downstairs with a stair gate to stop him going upstairs, do you think we need to get a dog walker to come in, is it too long to be left without excercise also would he be ok re going to the toilet.

sorry this is so long

Back to top Go down

leaving billy Empty Re: leaving billy

Post by janey Sat Apr 09 2011, 15:49

I think Billy will be fine for 5 hours.

We started with a stair gate so she could have the run of the lounge now she has the whole flat. Granted she's not left that long but if I go out in the evening and she is left for longer, with the toilets I guess its how well house trained Billy is, but again don't worry they adapt so amazingly well, Moo used to come to work with me and when I got the new job she couldn't and is left at home. My mum or a dog walker comes in for her but 5 hours really isn't that long. They'll just sleep, it'll just be extra playtime when you or oh get home Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09 2011, 16:16

.. and I would try to leave a radio on as well.. not heavy metal .. some easy listening music.. I have always left the radio on for Jethro.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10 2011, 10:52

thank you, feel a bit better now. i can't believe his shifts have changed, he has been on that shift for 15 years and as soon as we get a dog it changed typical

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 10 2011, 11:14

Soda law Lynne!! It'll be fine though. Changing from her neing with me all day to me now working 9-6 has been fine, you'll soon fall into a routine x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Apr 10 2011, 13:54

They do adjust so well Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10 2011, 14:15

..and I saw on a pet products web site you can get different battery operated gadgets that release food or even toys at various times..keeps the doggie occupied.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10 2011, 14:25

I'm sure he'll be fine Big Grin but we do tend to worry that our four-legged friends are gonna be ok

Back to top Go down

Post by raverhayley Sun Apr 10 2011, 16:53

lynne wrote:my hubby just got some bad news today, he normally only works sat and sunday, but he has been told that from july he will be working 5 day shifts - either 6 till 2 or 2 to 10.

the is bad news as billy has never been left on his own for any length of time, what i wanted to ask was if my oh gets the early shift it means billy will be left for about 5 hours Sad if he gets trhe late shift he will only be left for
2 1/2 hours, so it would be better if he got that shift, but of course he wants the other one

i was thinking of giving billy the run of downstairs with a stair gate to stop him going upstairs, do you think we need to get a dog walker to come in, is it too long to be left without excercise also would he be ok re going to the toilet.

sorry this is so long
we leave Bruiser up to 6 hours a couple of days a week, we started giving him the run of the lounge, but after a few weeks of good behaviour he chewed a sofa cushion to bits ( i did post pics here somwhere!) we tried him again leaving stuffed kongs for him to chew but again he chewed to sofa............he has never done anything like that when we are home so now we have to crate him if we are out Sad Bruiser is the same age as Billy so be warned!
raverhayley
raverhayley
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10 2011, 17:49

I think 5 hours will be fine also.
If Billy isn't used to being left on his own you need to start to do that now so it's not such a shock when the change happens.
Just start with a minute and gradually increase the time until he starts to get used to you both being out the house for longer periods

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11 2011, 13:05

Lady has been fine Lynne for nearly 15 years i am sure he will be fine but I know how you feel I am the same with Milly when we leave her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 11 2011, 22:27

As above, really. But make sure you give him plenty of exercise before you leave him - as Steve always says, a tired dog is a good dog!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down