need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking

5 posters

Go down

need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking  Empty need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking

Post by lauralou22 Fri Jul 26 2013, 13:44

hi all,
need some help and advice on roxy when we walk her she used to pull alot we got that sorted and now when we walk and come across other dogs she trys going for them with  some dogs its just trying to get to them abruptly and some she trys goin to them  abruptly with a growl we find it really embarrassing and makes her look visious but she is far from it.  and if any one has any tips or advice  to help stoppin her barkin at everyone or thing goin past my house would really appreciate it.

thanks laura
lauralou22
lauralou22
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : roxy
Dog(s) Ages : just over 1 year old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking  Empty Re: need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking

Post by Sazzle Fri Jul 26 2013, 13:49

Hi and welcome to the forum, may be you could come and say hi when you get chance Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Perhaps you could try and teach a 'watch me' command to keep her attention on you rather than the other dog as they pass?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking  Empty Re: need help with my dog trying to get to other dogs abruptly sometimes with a growl well walking

Post by Kathy Fri Jul 26 2013, 13:49

Hi Laura, it sounds like she just needs to learn some manners that's all. Try to get her to sit when you meet another dog they will then do their thing where they like to have a sniff of each other and do the introductions.

Why not come and say hi, we would love to know more about you and your dog:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by lauralou22 Fri Jul 26 2013, 14:06

hi thanks we tried making her sit and tried pulling her away and turnign her away she just seems to go out control and wont listen
lauralou22
lauralou22

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Fri Jul 26 2013, 14:28

Hi, if you find she is barking too much, have a read of this topic about preventing excessive barking Smile Hope it helps!

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/prevent_and_stop_excessive_barking
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Jul 27 2013, 07:01

Chloe does this sometimes and yes I agree it's very embarrassing! As mentioned above, getting her to watch me helps. If she starts barking and growling and pulling towards another dog, if I say 'Chloe look at me, Chloe good girl' and then get past the other dog as quickly as I can, it seems to help. She only does this with some dogs and only when she's on a lead. She's the same age as your Roxy so hopefully it's something they'll grow out of.
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by lauralou22 Sat Jul 27 2013, 14:17

i have a clicker now but when we walk she isnt interested in treats
lauralou22
lauralou22

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down