Puppy Food & Gas Problems

3 posters

Go down

Puppy Food & Gas Problems Empty Puppy Food & Gas Problems

Post by kkjax Thu Jul 25 2013, 23:04

So Jax has been on Acana Puppy & Junior for about 8 weeks now. He still has SEVERELY bad gas. I mean, like clear the room, noisy, gas. His poops are mostly solid (occasionally a bit soft in the evening)... but I'm really wondering if I should change his food or not, as the gas seems to be a huge issue every day (mostly late afternoons and evenings). Acana is higher in protein, I'm wondering if maybe that is the cause? I've also heard of some dogs not doing well on chicken based kibble. I live in Canada and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for food for a gassy puppy? (Corn free of course).
ALSO, some people have told me the calcium analysis of 1.7% (min) is too high for a growing puppy in the Acana food. Thoughts?
kkjax
kkjax
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy Food & Gas Problems Empty Re: Puppy Food & Gas Problems

Post by Guest Fri Jul 26 2013, 05:36

I'm sorry I can't help re food selection, but darcy is on a salmon & potato grain free diet and has hardly any gas Smile she's thriving on it too, yes I've heard the some have a chicken intolerance, so perhaps changing to a fish based kibble could help, hopefully someone will be able to help with food selection soon, perhaps if you post some new foods you were thinking of with the ingredients we could help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Fri Jul 26 2013, 14:40

Hi, Unfortunately im not of much help regarding the best food available where you are either, but there is a topic one of our staff listed that I found very very helpful in what to look for when buying food for our dogs, even though the food your feeding Jax might be a good one, not all food agrees with every dogs stomachs, I would try another high quality food and see Jax goes with it Smile Also remember to gradually ween Jax off the old food and introduce the new food over the period of a week.
Here is the link : https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t39946-pet-food-glossary
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 26 2013, 15:46

I'd definitely change - maybe, as said, to a salmon based, grain free one?

You could also try some charcoal biscuits to see if they help with the gas!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sun Jul 28 2013, 05:24

I would change the food and see if that solves the problem. We had the same problem with Gwen but she also had really loose poops. We were feeding her a 5 star rated food. Just because its a good quality food doesn't mean it will be a good food for your dog. Sometimes certain foods just don't agree with a particular dogs stomach. I would find another good quality food and switch to that. You need to slowly mix the new food in with the current food over a week or so to avoid an upset tummy. I'm not sure if it's available in Canada but Merrick is a great grain free dry kibble! They have a salmon flavor and a lamb flavor as well if you wanted to avoid the chicken!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Mon Jul 29 2013, 02:29

Thanks for all the advice!
Merrick does sound like a decent option - I like that it is grain free and they have a variety of flavours. I was also considering Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey... however, if it is the chicken he's having issues with, would turkey cause the same reaction? At this point, I don't know what it is in the food that's causing his gas! Maybe the 32% protein content is just too much for the little guy?
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content