scaredy dog

Go down

scaredy dog Empty scaredy dog

Post by chocolatecat Tue Jul 23 2013, 12:03

My staffie cross cassie is noise phobic. It started when she was four years old she's now six. I've tried everything to help her. I just wondered if any one else has a scaredy staffie as I heard it's quite common in the breed. She's sitting on my knee just now shaking and quaking due to the thunder. She will be here for another few hours but she is coming back to herself, she can hear me now, turns when I say her name name but not ready for food (a sign she's feeling safe is if she eats) or tug. I just feel so helpless and fed up. After a storm she gets too scared to leave the house for weeks. She has been doing really well recently I've had two months of nearly normal walking but now it will be back to every noise paralysing her within terror.

Oh well just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat

Cc x

chocolatecat
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

scaredy dog Empty Re: scaredy dog

Post by Guest Tue Jul 23 2013, 12:09

Hi & welcome to the forum. Come and introduce yourself here....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
thumbs up 

My old boy, Bandit was ok with storms but went to a quivering wreck with fireworks. We used to have to sedate him for days at a time in November.Sad 

The most important thing to do is not to sympathise or coo over them when they're scared. Hard, I know, but by sympathising you reinforce the idea that there's something to be scared of.

Have you tried a thundershirt or Adaptil plug ins/sprays?

The thundershirt might be a big help as it helps them to feel more secure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 23 2013, 12:47

Hi & welcome
Can only repeat what Caryll has said. I have used both the thundershirt and adaptil collar for helping Blue as he was nervours around other dogs. I found the thunder shirt useless but many on here say they have helped. The Adaptil collar I did find helped him seem a bit calmer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down