Cant keep my dogs attention when she sees another dog help :(

+2
janey
Lozzah.Xena26
6 posters

Go down

Sad Cant keep my dogs attention when she sees another dog help :(

Post by Lozzah.Xena26 Mon Jul 22 2013, 15:08

I have a 13 month old staff and her recall is good off the lead but as soon as she sees another sog shes gone and doesnt come back unless i can catch her its so embarrassing she doesnt listen to anything i say and as a result of this she was attacked last year and i have been scared to let her off since. I jus dont know how to keep her attention she has now started to pull ad whine whilst on the lead if she sees another dog :/ i just dont know what to do as she then gets selective hearing! Sad
Lozzah.Xena26
Lozzah.Xena26
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Xena
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Cant keep my dogs attention when she sees another dog help :(

Post by janey Mon Jul 22 2013, 16:31

Have you tried using a flexi lead/long lead and practicing her recall, this may sound harsh but if your dog doesn't have complete recall they shouldn't be off a lead anyway....(and I don't mean that to sound nasty)
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozzah.Xena26 Mon Jul 22 2013, 16:39

I dont let her off anymore tbh. I no what u mean. Well ive got a long rope lead i have been using it jus all depends on how the other dog reacts if its not bothered shes fine n will come bk after a few calls but if the other dog is excited shes off
Lozzah.Xena26
Lozzah.Xena26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence Mon Jul 22 2013, 18:10

Practice practice practice! You've got to make yourself more interesting than the other dog. It sounds like she's frustrated on the lead because she never gets to play with other dogs anymore. Start practicing recall in your home. Call her and when she comes give her an extra tasty treat, every time! Then when she's good at that go out in the garden, the street, the park. Add distractions slowly. Keep her on a long lead (not a flexi lead) and a harness and call her back a lot. Give her a treat and a fuss everytime she comes back so she learns that coming back to you is great! Find out what her favourite things are and offer those as rewards for coming back (playing tug, hugs, verbal praise etc.).
Try and spot dogs outside before she does. Then call her immediately, give her a treat and distract her from the other dog. If she reacts to the other dog and ignores you, simply turn around, say 'let's go' and walk in the other direction.
She probably needs more mental stimulation and more social interaction with other dogs. Do you know other dogs that she's comfortable with? Let them loose in a safe environment together (like a garden with a fence) so she can interact with other dogs and make friends.
Because you (and her) had a bad experience once and you've not let her off the leash since then, she's increasingly frustrated because she's not allowed near other dogs, this makes the problem worse.
But if you get really good recall you can then start letting her off the lead among other dogs (after you've spoken to the other owner if the other dog is sociable) and she can start behaving normal around other dogs again Smile

Florence

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 3.5
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozzah.Xena26 Mon Jul 22 2013, 21:47

Thankyou so much! I will give this a try! We went out earlier and i took out some treats n they kind of worked lol! I also took her to my local pub and she was very well behaved there with no jumping so the treats must be working to some extent. Ill keep at it n i hope i can crack it soon enough Smile thankyou again x
Lozzah.Xena26
Lozzah.Xena26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Jul 22 2013, 21:50

Keep at it and she will improve, definitely think about getting a training line, they are brilliant, I use one and so do a lot of people on here Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Wed Jul 24 2013, 23:18

Does she have a ball/favourite toy fetish which you can use to keep her attention till she's passed the dog. worked a treat for our dog, doesn't bother with anything going past her if she thinks she's going to get her ball when they go past but she is ball obsessed (Kong squeakers)

Julia
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Cant keep my dogs attention when she sees another dog help :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Jul 25 2013, 13:46

When we first got Densil he had never been taken for walks and he was very reactive to other dogs he would see on his walks, especially if they barked at him. It has taken me months to settle him down on this one - I started by speaking to him in a nice relaxed voice by saying "arr there's a nice doggy going for walk" and "good boy" if he didn't react. I followed this by the "look" command and when he looked at me I would give him a treat. he is so much better now although he will still react a bit if the other dog barks or reacts to him. i would also mention that I always cross the road when i see other dogs.
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Cant keep my dogs attention when she sees another dog help :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down