Fear of bridges?

3 posters

Go down

Fear of bridges? Empty Fear of bridges?

Post by lesley1802 Wed Jul 17 2013, 16:44

HI

So Cooper is 12 weeks today (walkies!!!)

So, went our first walk, a nature trail by the river. We've done small walks next to the house up till now.

At first, we thought he was scared of crossing water, as he wouldn't walk on the wee bridge (next to our house) but when out today he wouldn't do it again but will go in the river and across the stones to get to the river etc - no fear there.

So I don't think its water but the bridge itself - this was confirmed when we tried to get him to cross a bridge that was not over water.

I say bridge, it's really just a series of raised wooden platforms running along the nature trail - no more than half a foot off the ground.

He gets near then and just stops dead and tries to go in the opposite direction Smile

Its not a major issue but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this, is there something we can do to encourage him to go on these or are we just having to hope that he gets over it in time, with confidence?

Any help much appreciated Smile

Lesley (and Cooper!)

lesley1802
lesley1802
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Fear of bridges? Empty Re: Fear of bridges?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 17:27

They're funny little things aren't they :lol:darcy disliked walkies in general Laughing perhaps try desensitising him to the bridge, a little bit at a time so he's know it's safe. I'm sure someone will be along with some bridge advise soon Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 18:56

Things like this you just have to force them to man up lol get him really excited and prance about like a loony toon and just go over it and pull him along, he might be so excited he wont even realise!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 19:54

Tilly was scared of bridges , running water and also stiles , she still won't o in water but doesn't tear your arm out to get away from it , the bridges and stiles she rew out of by 7-8 months

Vicious tough beasts ??? ....................... yeh right Laughing 

Tommy is 15 months now btw and if his bowl clangs on the floor he will not go near it for 10 mins even full of the nicest food ever beacause its "scarey"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:00

Could be that he doesn't like the feel of it. A lot of wooden bridges give slightly when you step on them. Might just take some coaxing and praise when he manages it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:49

I wouldn't force him over, it'll just reinforce the fear.

Take some treats with you & find out how close you can get without him worrying. Then turn around in a large curcle & come back almost to the point you were at before. Get him to sit & give him a treat, but don't go over the bridge. Do that 3 or 4 times.

Next day, do the same, but walk 1 or 2 paces nearer. Sit. Treat.

Then just keep trying to get closer. If he appears scared at any point, you've gone too fast so take him back to the previous 'safe' disrance & try again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:53

Great advice Caryll Smile I used to call Tilly's bluff at stiles by carrying on and leaving her there , can you guess how many times I had to walk back 200-300yds to pick her up and carry on........ yep every one they are stuborn little buggers

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:55

I've been trying the coaxing for a few days now and going up and away, making it fun , feel as if I've tried betting so went for the Man U approach tonight.... man up worked!!!! Went for a walk, got to the bridge, usual panic, pulled backwards so I held firm and pulled him onto the bridge, he walked really slowly over it but on the way back he only needed a very gentle tug !!!

He also peed and poo'd somewhere other than the garden for the first time ever!!! Hes just reused until now. wont even go in the house! So it's a night of firsts, I'm a very happy mummy tonight xx x

Thanks everyone

Lesley
lesley1802
lesley1802

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Jul 17 2013, 21:09

It just takes a little while to get them used to some things Smile 

Daisy is fine with bridges but wouldn't walk through streams at first, she still won't walk through but tries to jump them!! It's a water thing!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Thu Jul 18 2013, 10:09

This morning we did the same again, tugged him on at first then on the way back, I dropped the lead and walked over myself, before I was 3 steps he was beside me and marching on with the lead in his mouth (I think he thinks hes helping when he does that lol!) Looked so proud of himself!! What the neighbors must have thought at me kissing and cuddling him when we were over!
lesley1802
lesley1802

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jul 18 2013, 12:16

Aww bless! How he picked up his lead and walked straight over, I bet you were so proud! The neighbours must think we are loonies the way we react over them haha
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down