Sazzle
stella
Steve
Nuala
15 posters

Go down

coming to the end of my tether Empty coming to the end of my tether

Post by Nuala Wed Jul 17 2013, 15:55

4 months in from an 8 week pup and things don't seem to be getting any better. Her biting me and ripping my clothes and food agression is getting worse, I (bravely) remove the food, give it back, let her know I'm the feeder etc. I try to ignore her when she's biting lumps out of me. that doesn't work, the click treat worked for a while, but she just bit me to get a treat in the end, although I didn't always treat her. she launches at me from behind, I have to grab her by the scruff and crate her. After time out, I open the door, call her but she just looks at me like I'm something she's trodden on, she will come when she is ready, which shows just utter and complete defiance. I have taken advice from other owners, on this site and in the real world, but I just need to be consistent, everyone one says they are all like that as puppies, but she is showing an agressive streak, If I can't nip it in the bud now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on her because she is wearing me out. Please don't say they are all like her, because I know they are not.........please help!

Last edited by Sazzle on Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to puppy chat)
Nuala
Nuala
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Thistle
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

coming to the end of my tether Empty Re: coming to the end of my tether

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 16:09

Please don't say that the first sign of her being defiant and you will get rid of her, that is how so many pups end up in the pounds cause people give up.

Now to the issue, firstly crate punishment is totally wrong for this behaviour and is going to stress her out even more.

How much exercise is she honestly getting?
What is she fed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jul 17 2013, 16:12

Nuala wrote:4 months in from an 8 week pup and things don't seem to be getting any better. Her biting me and ripping my clothes and food agression is getting worse, I (bravely) remove the food, give it back, let her know I'm the feeder etc. I try to ignore her when she's biting lumps out of me. that doesn't work, the click treat worked for a while, but she just bit me to get a treat in the end, although I didn't always treat her. she launches at me from behind, I have to grab her by the scruff and crate her. After time out, I open the door, call her but she just looks at me like I'm something she's trodden on, she will come when she is ready, which shows just utter and complete defiance. I have taken advice from other owners, on this site and in the real world, but I just need to be consistent, everyone one says they are all like that as puppies, but she is showing an agressive streak, If I can't nip it in the bud now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on her because she is wearing me out. Please don't say they are all like her, because I know they are not.........please help!

puppy bite Sad all dog breeds do that you just have to be consistent after time it will get better

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 16:13

Nuala wrote:4 months in from an 8 week pup and things don't seem to be getting any better. Her biting me and ripping my clothes and food agression is getting worse, I (bravely) remove the food, give it back, let her know I'm the feeder etc. I try to ignore her when she's biting lumps out of me. that doesn't work, the click treat worked for a while, but she just bit me to get a treat in the end, although I didn't always treat her. she launches at me from behind, I have to grab her by the scruff and crate her. After time out, I open the door, call her but she just looks at me like I'm something she's trodden on, she will come when she is ready, which shows just utter and complete defiance. I have taken advice from other owners, on this site and in the real world, but I just need to be consistent, everyone one says they are all like that as puppies, but she is showing an agressive streak, If I can't nip it in the bud now, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on her because she is wearing me out. Please don't say they are all like her, because I know they are not.........please help!

I'm afraid that they are ALL like her at some point, it's what puppies especially staffies do. She is not being aggressive she is far to young, she is showing typical puppy behaviour and testing boundaries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 16:23

Hi
Would have to agree with the advice given above. Your puppy is still very young. Once you and everyone else in the house show the same boundries over and over again they will get what is and isn't acceptable behaviour, but this will take time she's just a baby.
You say she just bit you to get a treat in the end. Don't give her a treat when she bites. She will connect the 2 eventually. They say it take 40 reps on average for a dog to associate a behaviour with a reward for example, but thats adult dogs so with puppies you have to be extra patient.
I know how much them little pins hurt. Just keep up the training and it WILL pay off. We are all here if you need someone to hear the screams coming to the end of my tether 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Wed Jul 17 2013, 17:32

In reply. she gets a lot of exercise and I feed her on well beloved.
So if I don't crate her, which I don't do immediatley, last resort, and she is still biting lumps out of me? She is food agressive which I mentioned in a previous post, which she wasn't, and she snapped at my grandchild defending food, not in play, define agression-normal puppy play please because I'm confused, growling and biting me...hard
I can tell when she's playing, this isn't play.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Jul 17 2013, 17:34

hia from me and sasha Smile 
we are all here to help you but honestly they are all like it!she is a baby and really what you are taking as being aggressive is'nt. as every one has advised time and training is the key with her,please dont give up on her,i do know how you feel,i think we have all felt like it a little bit,she will come good Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 17:37

Darcy is now 11 months and what your describing sounds exactly like she was, I was covered in cuts & bruises but with lots of patience & time & persistence we got there, don't get me wrong I know it's not
Easy, I remember thinking omg what have we done but I continued and with advice I'd received from the forum we got there. Now she only nips during play and if I say stop she does,
Your puppy is still very much a baby and it is all normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 17:43

Have a read through this it may help. Lots of people mistake play and puppy behaviour for aggression--> https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t40763-is-my-dog-aggressive#633058

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Wed Jul 17 2013, 18:02

ok thanks for all the advice, I know it's not easy, especially when the stresses of life get in the way, a bad day for me I guess, I will keep trying, but when i have tried everything when she's launching herself at me, why shouldnt I crate her for time out, she has no issues with her crate? or is that just a lazy last resort. I don't think I have enough jeans left.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:00

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Big Grin

I used to own Tommy the Terror , now I own Tommy the Toe licker , patience and dedication is the key

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:22

Hi Nuala, The reason not to crate is because its supposed to be their safe place not to be associated with punishment. I haven't had a puppy but honestly so many people go through this stage, many of them on this forum so you'll get good honest advise.

All I can really say is be consistent with your training and patient (I know it's hard) and you will get there Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 20:25

Nuala wrote:ok thanks for all the advice, I know it's not easy, especially when the stresses of life get in the way, a bad day for me I guess, I will keep trying, but when i have tried everything when she's launching herself at me, why shouldnt I crate her for time out, she has no issues with her crate? or is that just a lazy last resort. I don't think I have enough jeans left.

The problem with that is that her crate should be her 'safe' place, her den where she feels comfortable & safe. If you use it for punishment she may begin to dislike it, and you wouldn't want that!

Please have a look at the reply I've left on your other thread - hopefully it'll help you.

Please don't worry - she isn't nasty, just a typical stafford pup. With the right training from you, she'll improve and become the best friend you've ever had!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 17 2013, 21:10

Also don't worry many on here have been through what your going through thinking OMG what am I bringing up Laughing The good thing is there are plenty of people who are willing to lend an ear and sympathise the bruises.
Big coming to the end of my tether 3198918699 from us all. Keep up the good work

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Wed Jul 17 2013, 23:26

With the food aggression, try sitting on a distance from her when she's eating (where she doesn't growl) throw high value treats to her from there. If she takes them, great, if not, your too close, every day you can move a little closer and eventually she'll learn to associate you being around her food with something good and not with you taking her food away
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
coming to the end of my tether Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Thu Jul 18 2013, 00:07

Is all this based on feeding meal once or twice a day rather than having a permanent source of dry kibble available all day?
Wrigley
Wrigley
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wrigley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26/02/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay Thu Jul 18 2013, 05:47

Hi, I have Roxy who is 17 weeks, a few weeks ago I found myself in the same position as yourself, I even posted on here asking for help.

I was mistaking play for aggression, now I look back and wonder how a puppy so small could be aggressive.

Roxy still bites at my ankles and barks at me, but is soon put in her place when it gets to much with a "NO" and some time out (Not in her create)

Trust me it does get easier and as everyone else has said persistence is the key.

Good luck and if you ever need to vent things just come here and let it out.
Jay
Jay

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 29 Weeks
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by lesley1802 Thu Jul 18 2013, 10:18

When she launches hersefl at you - can you turn your back on her and go silent? Ignore what shes doing for 60 seconds. Dogs are very social animals and (a bit like teenagers) if you ignore the behavior and withdraw attention, they will realise whats happening and associate the naughtiness with lack of attention - but remember and reward all the good things. Silent and ignore on the bad things Smile

You can do it - persevere and you will have a friend for life x
lesley1802
lesley1802
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 24th April 2013
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jul 18 2013, 12:23

Ive realised one thing, staffords are very very vocal during play, growling and the small barks, I think a lot of people, definitely including myself were at wits end, wondering if it would really work, are we do the right thing, will the pup ever learn, are they aggressive? I don't believe a pup can be aggressive, but I do believe that they are little buggers that like to test there boundary to see how far they can get with us! Ensure everyone is being consistent with the training, even friends and strangers, just tell them she is in training, Rocky is 6 months and he has learnt so much, but there are still minor things we are teaching him, but you will get there! Good luck Smile
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt75 Thu Jul 18 2013, 16:51

You should try - it's a huge web site hear in the states. The dog trainer has been breeding and training German shepherds for over 30 yes and his web site contains over 10,000 pages on training, listen to his pod cast on how to train puppy's not to bite -  and don't worry ur pup isn't being aggressive , he's trying to figure out his place in ur pack just like he would had he stayed with his litter mates. If u learn a bit about pack behavior and that ur dog needs a firm fair leader, it won't take long at all to turn things around, so don't give up on the lil guy and be sure to google , good luck!

Kurt75
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18 2013, 16:56

Kurt75 wrote:You should try - it's a huge web site hear in the states. The dog trainer has been breeding and training German shepherds for over 30 yes and his web site contains over 10,000 pages on training, listen to his pod cast on how to train puppy's not to bite -  and don't worry ur pup isn't being aggressive , he's trying to figure out his place in ur pack just like he would had he stayed with his litter mates. If u learn a bit about pack behavior and that ur dog needs a firm fair leader, it won't take long at all to turn things around, so don't give up on the lil guy and be sure to google , good luck!

Sorry, I've removed the link. The site sells shock & prong collars - something this forum will never promote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Thu Jul 18 2013, 23:03

Thanks again for all the advice, the food issue is better, the launching herself at me is not so easy, I can't turn my back and ignore, it doesn't work, I have started , (if she doesn't stop) putting her in the kitchen, but not in the crate, that seems to work better, so onwards and upwards I hope, I feel more in control now, which I think is the key. Off to bed now to heal my wounds Big Grin 
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19 2013, 10:17

Just feel free to come back & have a good old fashioned rant if you want! We've all been there, done that & the least we can do is offer tea & sympathy!Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Here-Comes-Honey-Bru-Bru Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:30

Awh, I'm sorry to hear your story and I totally understand how frustrating it is. Do u have any other dogs? Bruzer eventually learned his good behaviour by example from our other dog, when he realised he would get no treats or attention for bold behaviour he calmed down. He still tries to nip me now and then but thats mostly playing, he barks abit but doesnt growl and show his teeth, and whilst playing if he hurts me I yell "no!!!!!" When I first started sayin no to him it was very loud and quick and startled him a bit but he got the hint, also blowing in the face seemed to work. It may sound cruel to do that but it was a distraction and it worked. now i only have to say no and he definitely understands. He knows when he's done something wrong anyway and puts himself in his 'bold corner'  and lays low for a while, then he gives me his wide puppy-dog-"im sorry"-eyes, so i cant stay mad for long!

I think behaviour classes or learning from the example of an older dog would be your best option. Please don't give up on your pup. When they behave they are the cutest, most loyal and most intelligent dogs in the world. I couldn't imagine my life without Bru now xx
Here-Comes-Honey-Bru-Bru
Here-Comes-Honey-Bru-Bru
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Bruzer (staff), Peppa (lab)
Dog(s) Ages : Bruzer 5m Peppa 5yr
Dog Gender(s) : Bruzer m, Peppa f

Back to top Go down

Post by gimli Tue Jul 30 2013, 08:29

Hiya my pup is 14wks and a little terror biting and growling. Although not food aggressive .I found holding chews for him and pigs ears means he trusts me with food. We have safety gate up at kitchen could this be option when grandkids round pup can see but not chase
gimli
gimli

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bilbo
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuala Fri Aug 09 2013, 21:43

Hi Thanks everyone, suffice to say I have got my head round the breeds temperament and I understand her know, as I am typing we are playing the, I'm going to get your attention game, which isn't too much biting anymore, (although she is still quite rough) it's the 'I'll nick the lego and play the leave game, so I will get your attention' she will leave it, then go back and get another. little tinker. Thats not actually what I'm calling her in my head but expletives get asterixed out:D  She still gets agressive with new foods though, and cat pooh, when I pull her off it, although she will eat chews and stuff from my hand quite happily. Onwards and upwards and off to get another packet of plasters.
Nuala
Nuala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09 2013, 21:56

My daughter has gasped in horror at the state of my arms, she says it looks as if I've been in a war, but it was only play. All the advice you have been given on this site does pay off!

You're getting there Nuala! So glad to have your update.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sat Aug 10 2013, 04:13

I'm glad everything seems to be going a little better! Feel free to go on a rant whenever you need to! There have been a few times I have felt like I want to give up with Gwen, it happens to everyone at some point! They are hard work and test our patience so much sometimes! She will improve! Gwen has started to improve finally and it is the best feeling ever!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Sat Aug 10 2013, 08:04

Hi.
My pup is now 5 months old and we had a couple of months of hell. I was posting here for advice all the time for the same as you other than the food agression. My mum got it all the time from her she would bite soundin like a maniac and keep goin for us. We tried lots and it got the the point my sisters didnt want to bring the kids, my mum was scared of her and i was so worried.
Now to the good news, things have got much better and we are doing loads of training excercises to stimulate her and whenever she gets really het up we immediately distract and reward for the good behaviour. We have really found that putting her out the room as soon as it starts for a minute works well. She hates being excluded (we were given tht advice here). Im not as sure with the food aggression tho. But perseverence is the key and it will all fall into place. Maybe a 1on1 trainer could do somethin for food aggression
rico24
rico24
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
coming to the end of my tether Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 10 2013, 09:13

rico24 wrote:Hi.
My pup is now 5 months old and we had a couple of months of hell. I was posting here for advice all the time for the same as you other than the food agression. My mum got it all the time from her she would bite soundin like a maniac and keep goin for us. We tried lots and it got the the point my sisters didnt want to bring the kids, my mum was scared of her and i was so worried.
Now to the good news, things have got much better and we are doing loads of training excercises to stimulate her and whenever she gets really het up we immediately distract and reward for the good behaviour. We have really found that putting her out the room as soon as it starts for a minute works well. She hates being excluded (we were given tht advice here). Im not as sure with the food aggression tho. But perseverence is the key and it will all fall into place. Maybe a 1on1 trainer could do somethin for food aggression
That's great news Rico, so happy for you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikec Mon Aug 12 2013, 23:47

I went through a lot of the same thing with Abby and only in the past couple of weeks where she has lost around 7 baby teeth has she finally calmed down dramatically. She now has a lot more free run of downstairs and has learned that good behaviour without getting too hyper avoids her getting a time out. As every one else has said it's just perseverance as I really thought I was getting nowhere until literally a major change overnight.
mikec
mikec

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Abby
Dog(s) Ages : 09/04/2013

Back to top Go down