can't eat inside....

3 posters

Go down

can't eat inside.... Empty can't eat inside....

Post by suzyq505 Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:20

I have found that I have to pull up a chair in order to get everyone to eat their din din (they want to see what I am doing instead of eating), but have found that Emma really won't eat what she should. This weekend I decided to feed everyone outside so I could relax on the porch instead of the kitchen and go figure Emma ate her whole bowl. Did this for three days and each time she licked it clean. Yesterday the weather was bad so they ate inside and once again Emma wouldn't eat much. She's pretty thin but not unhealthy and would like to see her gain a few pounds. I'm wondering why she does this and what I can do about it, if anything. Just curious.
suzyq505
suzyq505
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Emma, Fritz, Tulip, Bean
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male, Female, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

can't eat inside.... Empty Re: can't eat inside....

Post by janey Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:29

I really wouldn't have a clue. I wouldn't pander to her though by pulling up a chair cause if there hungry they will eat. As too eating outside not in, that is strange. Could you try feeding her when there are know distractions like after you have finished eating maybe?? They are strange little creatures!!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:37

you are right they are strange sometimes.

yes, the distractions are my problem, I have to just stand there until they all finish. I have tried waiting until later, tried the mornings (no one wants to eat then). If she was the only one then I could leave the food out for her but that won't work now. She has proven that she is hungry enough to eat the whole bowl but for some reason won't. Outside she doesn't pay attention to anything but her food, it's like she's starving, like "finally I am free to eat it all" really strange.
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:38

Could you try feeding her seperatly to the others in another room on her own???
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:45

haven't tried that yet because the others start bowl swaping....hahaha and I have to watch the fatty (Tulip). If I walk away, Emma follows everytime no matter what (except when she's eating outside). thinking
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 05 2011, 19:50

Well might be something to try, feed er first or after the others. Otherwise I'm all out of ideas lol! Try a raised dog bowl for her and only her maybe??
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Tue Apr 05 2011, 20:04

thanks Janey, we'll try...what is Moo chewing on in your avatar?
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 05 2011, 20:09

Lol, her frisbee, she had it for about 6 months and she finally managed to chew through it! She now has a indoors one, which she can chew and play tugsies with and her outdoor one which she will just chase and fetch!! Back to first post, strange little things. Someone may come on with more advice, I've only ever owned 1 dog at time so just ideas really! Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05 2011, 21:29

Can you feed her outside & the others inside? That way they all get fed at the same time & she finishes her food?

Even if the weather's not too good, she'll only be outside for a couple of minutes!

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Tue Apr 05 2011, 21:43

Caryll wrote:Can you feed her outside & the others inside? That way they all get fed at the same time & she finishes her food?

Even if the weather's not too good, she'll only be outside for a couple of minutes!

maybe, if I feed the others first then take her outside for her share afterwards. I'm not worried about her being outside, it's me! hahahaha...it's was nasty out. Wink the problem is that if I leave the room to watch another they follow and don't eat except Tulip who will eat everyones in seconds flat. I have a super slow eater, a chow hound, a normal eater and then there's Emma angel hahahaha

Luckily the weather is nice and it shouldn't be an issue too often. Was just wondering what would make a pup who is hungry not eat inside. sometimes I really wonder what she is thinking
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05 2011, 21:50

Who knows what really goes through their minds?

I think some dogs just naturally prefer to be outside!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Apr 06 2011, 12:52

I think Janey has a point, perhaps she feels threatened by the other dogs being in close proximity to her when she is eating? When she is enclosed she would rather leave the food than risk having to protect it (does this fit, is she a submissive dog?). Perhaps when she is outside she feels less closed in, only suggested this because our older dog is the same and will not eat her food unless you lock her away from the toher 3 dogs.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06 2011, 14:09

It may be the other dogs like Janey said it may also be a minor Claustrophobia especially known in puppy they do go through a fear stage thats why it is important to try not to accept a puppy until a certain age i think its 12 weeks which is their fear stage where they pick up irrational fears and being around siblins,mothers helps them through it or they tend to hang onto it or she may be alot more submissive and doesn't feel she has the "right" to eat around the other dogs.
Many things there i know but those are the basic things i could think of really.
Have you thought of a small crate for feeding getting her used to it so she knows no other dogs go in there and she is free to do what she wants and feed her in there.
If she is submissive like you said you also try standing up for her a little more, stop the other dogs when you see one of the others pin her, stop her from going forward (even in play) and you can see she doesn't like it, its a good way to tell if the others are being to dominant around her and you can stand up for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Wed Apr 06 2011, 15:00

Nosipho wrote:I think Janey has a point, perhaps she feels threatened by the other dogs being in close proximity to her when she is eating? When she is enclosed she would rather leave the food than risk having to protect it (does this fit, is she a submissive dog?). Perhaps when she is outside she feels less closed in, only suggested this because our older dog is the same and will not eat her food unless you lock her away from the toher 3 dogs.

she is somewhat submissive (slightly on the fearful side). We have a pretty calm dinner time, never any arguing, maybe a little hovering in the background by Tulip the the older one. The other 3 don't pick on her at all, we wouldn't allow it, nor would she. Emma lets out a low girgily grumble when she wants to be left alone and the others respect that. That freaked us out when we first got her, but now we know it's just her talking.

I do agree that maybe the tight quarters make her uncomfortable when eating. Maybe she was always fed outside before we got her. When I feed her outside they are in the same amount of space on the porch, but the open air must be making the difference.
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down