Puppy vomiting & coughing

3 posters

Go down

Puppy vomiting & coughing Empty Puppy vomiting & coughing

Post by kkjax Mon Jul 08 2013, 23:42

Hi everyone.

So last night, Jax (who's 13 weeks) vomited 7 times after eating his supper. At first the vomit was undigested kibbles and by the end it was a white-grey frothy liquid. He's never been sick before so we were quite worried and put his crate in our room to keep an eye on him. We noticed after his vomiting had stopped, he was low energy and had a sort of hacking cough that he would do (as if clearing his throat) periodically. This morning his energy seemed better and he was hungry and wanting to drink, trying to steal our socks like he always does... however, the throat clearing was still there so we took him to the vet just to be sure...

The vet checked his vitals - all of which were good. She did notice a small heart murmur that hasn't been noted previously... but thought it might be physiological in response to excitement because it was quite soft and she could hear it more when he got excited. So the vet suggested we just keep an eye on that...
The vet seems to think he probably got into something or ate something outside that upset him - he's known for trying to eat ANYTHING, rocks included... however, we are quite diligent in monitoring him outside (always on lead)... but had our parents watch him for a day over the weekend.
She said the hacking was probably due to acid burn from throwing up so much and gave us a liquid medicine to use that will coat his throat and stomach for 5 days. She also extended the antibiotics he's on by a week, just incase (he was almost finished a 2 week course of antibiotics for a small bacterial skin infection)...
She suggested keeping him calm for a while (the hacking is worse when he's excited) and feeding him his kibbles soaked and mushed up. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this sort of throat clearing hack by a staffy after a period of lots of vomiting? And also, any other suggestions on what I can do to make him more comfortable? He seems to be coughing less now than he was this morning though! Poor guy had us really worried that he had picked something up at his first puppy class last Thursday Sad 
kkjax
kkjax
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy vomiting & coughing Empty Re: Puppy vomiting & coughing

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 08:34

Poor Jax Sad Ive not experienced this before so I cant help, but im sure someone will be along shortly to offer their advice.

Hope he's feeling better soon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 09:45

Poor boy. My old poodle developed a heart murmur in his older age, he had meds for it but was generally a happy healthy dog!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 09:57

Aww poor jax, hope he's feeling well again soon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09 2013, 11:42

A slight heart murmur isn't unusual in a young dog, and it'll often right itself as he grows.

If your vet isn't concerned, then I wouldn't worry too much. If he had a bit of a dodgy stomach, then the vomiting will have strained his system and could be the reason for his cough. As you're under the vet at the moment anyway, she can monitor him for you.

Keeping a young stafford quiet isn't easy! Try hiding some treats around the house & get him to sniff them out - that'll exercise his mind so that he's a bit calmer!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Tue Jul 09 2013, 12:02

Hope Jax is feeling better! Rocky sends lots of hugs xx
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jul 09 2013, 13:46

Poor Jax, I hope he feels better soon xxx

Daisy has a heart mummur, the vet found it when she was spade earlier this year. They said at the momemt she should be fine but I notice all of a sudden she seems to be aging quickly, less energetic,not looking forward to walks etc then I should take her in as she may need some medication.
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by kkjax Tue Jul 09 2013, 18:51

Thanks everyone!
Jax is feeling much better today and the cough seems to have stopped completely! Smile I was worried about giving him the liquid meds by syringe... but the nut loves it and gobbles it up no problem haha. His energy is back up and he's resumed eating/drinking as normal. He was excellent on our walk this morning and thankfully that's tired him out enough for now. It is difficult trying to keep him calm especially in the evenings (he's in a very bratty defiant stage, oh god the biting) but I found providing him with a LOT of tasty things to chew on helps from having him running around crazy and all over the house.
kkjax
kkjax

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Jax
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jul 09 2013, 18:58

Glad he's feeling better :-)