Complete Moist Food Recommendations

5 posters

Go down

Complete Moist Food Recommendations Empty Complete Moist Food Recommendations

Post by Buddy Sat Jul 06 2013, 15:29

Buddy is a rescue dog, he's been with us since April and has settled in really well - he's a fantastic dog. We're worried that he might be losing weight though because he's so fussy with his food. If he could eat dinner with us everyday, he'd eat every scrap even though we're vegetarian! He just doesn't like proper dog food that much.

We really wanted to get him onto complete dry food, mainly for cost reasons but also for hygiene and convenience - Bud's just not convinced, he doesn't seem to like crunchy food. We think he's been used to having tinned meat all his life, so we have been buying that as well to mix in but he leaves it hanging around and the smell is awful; plus with the back door open, flies keep landing on it. Moist food like Hi Life seemed to be a good compromise, he doesn't wolf it down but it goes eventually. I'm not sure it's that great nutritionally though. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
Buddy
Buddy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : Approx 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

http://www.grapevineessex.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Complete Moist Food Recommendations Empty Re: Complete Moist Food Recommendations

Post by janey Sat Jul 06 2013, 16:10

I am affraid I can't help with moist food as Moo is on dry, I also have to mix a little wet in the encourage her to eat it. You could trying adding some warm water to kibble to soften it....
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Complete Moist Food Recommendations Empty Re: Complete Moist Food Recommendations

Post by Sazzle Sun Jul 07 2013, 19:42

I think the problem with wet food is that it is made up of a lot of water, you would be better feeding a good quality dry if you can and adding to it to get him to eat it. I use the JWB pouches as a topper for daisy's dry, but also tinned sardines and other fish, egg or cooked minced lamb.

There is a website called which dog food when you can compare the nutritional value of wet and dry dog food, may be worth a look.

Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitt Wed Jul 10 2013, 16:02

Personally both my dogs and cats get Nature's menu wet food, it's not perfectly raw but it's pretty close, I looked into this when I got the cats before I got Tiger, basically most wet foods will have "more than 4%" meat on the back which basically means, 4% meat, moisture is also something you need to look at, on the back you want high % of meat and a good middle range of moisture.

The cats and dogs get both dry and wet food but when it comes to wet, Nature's menu is really good, I've tried other brands but apparently my animals have sensitive stomachs and can't tolerate JWP or Applepaws for the cats, nature's menu is the only one they've all been healthy on.

http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/68005/index.html
This tells you what you should look for in food, no vauge "meat derivatives" no "by-products" the ingredients should specify so if you go looking for yourself you know what you're looking for.

There's Natures diet too, they're basically the same thing except natures diet does have cereals/grains in it in a small amount.

I also http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/compare-dog-food/0548-0550-0117-0172-0119/hi-life-vs-hi-life-vs-james-wellbeloved-vs-naturediet-vs-natures-menu
Grabbed a quick compare page from the site Sazzle suggested, purely for wet foods and I would suggest taking a look and comparing wet and dry but if he won't eat dry then it's just as helpful. It shows you whether they're hypallergenic, whether they contain grains or not (good foods idealy shouldn't) it even lets you pick the size of your dog and tells you, via the suggested serving sizes, how much a day it would cost to feed your dog.

The site is pretty awesome and I'm thankful for Sazzle bringing my attention to it Tongues
Kitt
Kitt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tiger-Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:04

I had to wean my pooch off wet when we brought him home from the kennels, simply adding warm water to a tasty kibble to make it more mushy should help. Like Sazzle said: you could add sardines or an egg everyday as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Jul 15 2013, 13:30

Have you tried Wainwrights trays? Not complete well but not dry.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down