"boss"

Go down

"boss" Empty "boss"

Post by Ticklymac Wed Jun 19 2013, 18:51

So i know the "pack mentality" thing has been dis-proven these days but i was just wondering when you have two dogs should there be a boss between the two of them?
I dont know if its just cause Leroy is still settling in and Diesel is getting used to have another dog in the house but there doesn't seem to be a boss between them. I used to think it was Diesel, she's always humping him and when they play she always flips him on his back and pins him down (thought these were dominant characteristics) very seldom does Leroy hump her or pin her down,
but he has become a bit of a "bully" with toys/food now....
He will be lying chilling out happily, but if Diesel goes over to the box and gets some out to chew Leroy will launch at her and steal it! After this Diesel will stand staring at him looking all sad and either come up see me for support staring at him or will go to the box and get something else, when she does he will drop what he already stole and steal the other thing!
He will only chew them for a few mins then just roll back over on his side, but if Diesel sneaks up to grab them back he grabs them out the way! Last night he was lying "guarding" 3 shanks he'd stole off Diesel!!

When we first took Diesel up to meet Leroy at the pound if she had something and Leroy went to get it she would give him a wee "back off" growl and he'd leave her ( thought that was a really good sign) but now if she growls at him he either continues to chase her for it or stands and barks at her!
The other problem is as i've stated in another post if i go to intervene in the situ after the first few tellings off Leroy can become a wee aggressive towards me, so i'm at a loss of what to do
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

"boss" Empty Re: "boss"

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19 2013, 20:22

You need to teach him a really strong "Leave" command & then use it whenever he tries to take something off of Diesel.

It's nothing to do with who is 'boss' between them, but everything to do with possesssion. If you're not careful & he's allowed to keep getting away with it, he could think that he can also do it to you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Thu Jun 20 2013, 02:29

Yeh thats why I always tell him off, an take things he steals back off him. Its just getting hard with him cause i'm getting wary off puttin him out the room in a time out incase he has my hand off!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 20 2013, 17:55

Great advice from Caryll there. It's a case of consistency, as always. In saying that: Vinny may only be 8 months old but he is a good head taller than Roxy and probably about 5kg heavier but Roxy's the bossy older sister! She will lead play; decide who gets what if it's of value and generally makes sure Vinny sees her as the boss! However, they are now cuddled up on the bed, nose to nose.

As Caryll says, it's more about possession. I've taught them that "drop" or "leave" means they need to drop or leave what they're niggling over. Hang in there - it does get easier Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Fri Jun 21 2013, 02:05

Do u think coz they'r of similar age its more of a struggle to determine who's the "boss" ?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21 2013, 06:38

Ticklymac wrote:
He will be lying chilling out happily, but if Diesel goes over to the box and gets some out to chew Leroy will launch at her and steal it! After this Diesel will stand staring at him looking all sad and either come up see me for support staring at him or will go to the box and get something else, when she does he will drop what he already stole and steal the other thing!

Tommy does this to Tilly all the time , whatever she has he wants , though there is no agressive behaviour associated with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Sun Jun 23 2013, 00:27

He doesnt get overly aggressive with her only a couple of times, which he gets a big tellin off for an left in the hall for a few mins to think bout what hes done wrong (lol)
its just more annoyin than anythin, your tryin to watch tele an he's chasin her about barking
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down