Snapped at me

3 posters

Go down

Snapped at me Empty Snapped at me

Post by Barry S Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:39

Molly has been good today so tonight I gave her a lamb bone, after she had had it a while I rubbed her behind the ear and she sort of growled at me (a strange growl) so I took the bone from her, which she didn't complain about, I gave it back and rubbed her behind the ear again, she growled again so I told her no and she growled again then snapped at me, not a bite but as close as close as she could get without contact.
I frightened the life out of me, I have been dreading something like this (we have young grand children) and if she will turn on her best mate she could turn on any one.
Rightly or wrongly she got a wallop, I know that I shouldn't have but I just did. I then put her in her crate for a few mins. which I know was not right either but I had to do something.
First ... what should I do ?

and second ...what should I have done ?

I don't think it as simple as don't touch her ear when she has a bone
Barry S
Barry S
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : Born 14/11/12
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Snapped at me Empty Re: Snapped at me

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:49

There are different views on this, but my view is that no food possession should ever be tolerated. You were right to scold her.

Personally, I'd take away the thing she's being possessive over. Get her to leave it for a couple of minutes, then have her sit when you give it back to her. This way, she has to work for it and knows that until you're satisfied with her behaviour, she won't get the object.

It may help to remove toys from her while she's playing, just for a few seconds, then giving them back with loads of praise to show her that she doesn't have to guard her things. Possession guarding is usually due to a worry that she won't get it back.

Is she okay with you touching her ear when she doesn't have anything in her mouth? It's possible that she has a sore ear.

Last edited by Eleanor on Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:55; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:53

Well, although I haven't experienced it myself with any of my dogs thankfully, it sounds to me like a primeval food protection instinct.  I have heard that some dogs can be very possessive about bones.

As to how to tackle it I'm afraid I can't advise, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.  Good luck >Big Grin<

Update - Eleanor already posted, she knows her stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:56

No, you shouldn't have walloped her & no, you shouln't have put her in her crate. If this was the first time she's done it, then she hasn't learnt that it isn't acceptable yet!

Bones are often a source of possessiveness in dogs & can produce a small amount of aggression when you least expect it!

I'd do what Eleanor sugests, evey time she has something - whether it's food, toys or whatever. But make sure that when you take something away you either give it back (after a few seconds, and get her to do something simple like sit or give paw first) or give back something even better. That way she'll know that she isn't losing anything if you take it from her!

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry S Sun Jun 16 2013, 21:57

Eleanor wrote:There are different views on this, but my view is that no food posession should ever be tolerated. You were right to scold her.

Personally, I'd take away the thing she's being posessive over. Get her to leave it for a couple of minutes, then have her sit when you give it back to her. This way, she has to work for it and knows that until you're satisfied with her behaviour, she won't get the object.

It may help to remove toys from her while she's playing, just for a few seconds, then giving them back with loads of praise to show her that she doesn't have to guard her things. Posession guarding is usually due to a worry that she won't get it back.

Is she okay with you touching her ear when she doesn't have anything in her mouth? It's possible that she has a sore ear.

Thank you, she has always been slightly protective of high value things, mostly new ones, but I took it as her playing, the bone has now gone in the bin, another reaction, she has nothing wrong with her ear I am sure.
She is trying to get closer to me now, at first she hid under the table, she does know that she did wrong I am sure.
What should I do now ?
Barry S
Barry S

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:00

Sounds like Caryll is right - she just hasn't learned it's unacceptable yet. With persistance, she'll learn, but you'll need to be firm.

If she's trying to get close to you, if I were you I'd let her. :)Punishing her for something that happened more than twenty seconds ago will only confuse her. It sounds like she definitely knew she'd done something wrong to warrant a scolding, so that's a start!

Try calling her to you and getting her to sit, then give loads of praise and fuss. :)See how she reacts.

Last edited by Eleanor on Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:05; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:03

Barry S wrote: she does know that she did wrong I am sure.
What should I do now ?

Don't credit her with human reasoning. She doesn't know it was wrong, because if she did, she wouldn't have done it!Big Grin

Just take care in future & be prepared. Whenever you give her something make her work for it (a couple of simple obedience commands first) and every so often tell her to 'leave' and take it away. Sometimes just give it straight back, other times mke sure you have something even better & give her that instead! That way she'll be happy to give things up because she could get something better!

If she growls, stay calm but firm. "No, leave" an take it away. Immediately you take it get her to sit or lie down or give a paw, and then give it back/replace it with something better.[/quote]

Last edited by Caryll on Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:05; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry S Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:04

Caryll wrote:No, you shouldn't have walloped her & no, you shouln't have put her in her crate. If this was the first time she's done it, then she hasn't learnt that it isn't acceptable yet!

Bones are often a source of possessiveness in dogs & can produce a small amount of aggression when you least expect it!

I'd do what Eleanor sugests, evey time she has something - whether it's food, toys or whatever. But make sure that when you take something away you either give it back (after a few seconds, and get her to do something simple like sit or give paw first) or give back something even better. That way she'll know that she isn't losing anything if you take it from her!

Thank you, That is part of my worry I have always taken stuff and then shared it with her even her dinner and never had any problem, I do it because one day one of the grand children may take something, I praise her for giving stuff to me and praise her for taking it back.
I know I should have walloped her and crated her but I had to do something ?

Barry S
Barry S

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:09

Barry S wrote:

I know it's hard to 'do the right thing' when you're taken by surprise! The best thing would have been to step back & scold with a firm "No! Leave" and then calmly and decisively take the bone away. That way you'd have taken control of the situation.

Don't worry about it, though - just keep an eye out for it in future. Don't wait for a negative reaction from her, though. Make sure that you can take anything at all from her and let her know that it isn't a punishment, but an oportunity for praise/reward.Big Grin[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:12

You've recognised that it can't be allowed to happen, so good for you! Smile A lot of people shrug it off and say that it's all fine (which it isn't!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry S Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:15

Caryll wrote:
Barry S wrote:

I know it's hard to 'do the right thing' when you're taken by surprise! The best thing would have been to step back & scold with a firm "No! Leave" and then calmly and decisively take the bone away. That way you'd have taken control of the situation.

Don't worry about it, though - just keep an eye out for it in future. Don't wait for a negative reaction from her, though. Make sure that you can take anything at all from her and let her know that it isn't a punishment, but an oportunity for praise/reward.Big Grin
[/quote]

My bit should have read shouldn't

I feel that if I tried to take the bone she would have bitten me !, up until now I have been able to take things from her.
Barry S
Barry S

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:18

She probably wouldn't have. Easy for me to say!

That's why I said to stand back & tell her to leave it. If she doesn't then grab her scruff &take it from her. Not harshly, but just enough that she knows you mean it. If you forcibly take something away, it's always best to make sure you have something really tasty to give her in replacement, but only if she does a bit of obedience to earn it!thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry S Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:31

Caryll wrote:She probably wouldn't have. Easy for me to say!

That's why I said to stand back & tell her to leave it. If she doesn't then grab her scruff &take it from her. Not harshly, but just enough that she knows you mean it. If you forcibly take something away, it's always best to make sure you have something really tasty to give her in replacement, but only if she does a bit of obedience to earn it!thumbs up

Hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is I will do that, I need to make sure that she will not turn though.
It's not just walking round the block this dog parenting is it
Barry S
Barry S

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:35

It is worrying but I don't think you will have any probs as long as you are firm and persistant:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 23:26

Barry you've had great advice from forum members who really know what they're talking about.

There's just one thing I would add, my tuppence-worth which I picked up on from your posts, and that is:- please try not to let Molly sense your fear that she will bite you. She's only 7 months old and still a baby, and although a nip from a puppy can be painful it's not nearly as bad as a bite from a full-grown dog. There is a section on this website about biting puppies that will help. Above all, just don't let her feel for one second that you are afraid of her or her teeth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Mon Jun 17 2013, 03:42

It is so scary when this happens for the first time - I was really taken aback the first time Chiquito did it and can well understand where you are coming from! The advice given above is great, so I won't add to that - I will add a couple of little points that I feel are important though Smile

Keep in mind that what Molly did is normal for a dog. No it is not acceptable to us, no she should not be allowed to continue the behaviour, but that doesn't make it naughty or bad .. she just did what comes naturally to a dog because that is what she is Smile

It may happen again ... I know it did with Chiquito. He is good all the time now, and has been for some time, I still would NOT leave him with food and a child though. This is not because I do not trust him, I do - I trust him to be a dog, just as I trust a child to be a child ... both have normal behaviours that don't mix well and it is my job to show both what is acceptable consistently and ensure that there is no room for error by either side.

And finally ... we have all done something that we have felt guilty/horrible about afterward - nobody is ever a perfect fur parent everyday!! The fact that you have posted here to ask for advice shows that you are a great pet parent, so don't worry about what has happened ... forgive yourself (and Molly) there is always next time Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry S Mon Jun 17 2013, 07:36

Thank you people for all your help and advice, all taken on board. onwards and upwards we go.
Barry S
Barry S

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17 2013, 15:46

Chance was very food aggressive when he first came to us, which i do not tolerate and with him being raw fed is dangerous.

I worked for a long time, by sitting with him while he eats and trading his bone or treat for a little high value treat, getting him to release give him the treat and then take his bone back nicely. This graduated to me being able to fuss his head while he's eating to me being able to walk up to him and taking whatever out of his mouth and he will give it up without a fuss

It does take patience but it's something you must preserve with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Mon Jul 01 2013, 14:26

"It may happen again ... I know it did with Chiquito. He is good all the time now, and has been for some time, I still would NOT leave him with food and a child though. This is not because I do not trust him, I do - I trust him to be a dog, just as I trust a child to be a child ... both have normal behaviours that don't mix well and it is my job to show both what is acceptable consistently and ensure that there is no room for error by either side."

All good advice but particulary the bit above from Kell Smile I think its important to not only protect kids from dogs but also protect dogs from kids, both together should always be supervised Smile

Also, try not to be scared of your dog turning, its my opinion that a lot of the dogs you see in the news are not exercised enough, left to their own devices and untrained. I'd say consistency with training and a well exercised pup makes a good well behaved dog. All dogs have their "oopsie" moments when they are growing up that's how they learn so don't worry yourself too much Smile

p.s if the quote thingy doesn't work for Kell's comment, sorry!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down