fun morning out

2 posters

Go down

fun morning out Empty fun morning out

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 10:46

The kids got to go to the big off leash park today with their friend (actually not sure what she is haha but she belongs to their trainer). We usually ever only take them there alone so it was nice for them to have a friend to run around with. They ran and played ball and swam for an hour and half and even Vinny kept up with the girls. They had a blast.

The only thing (and this always stresses me out with my two) is when they see other dogs they're off and no amount of high pitched recall/treats/toys will get them back - by which time people are freaking out at the two staffies coming for their pooches. Sigh. Anyone else have that problem?

Also, when we got there they went zooming up to their friend and ganged up on her a little, but that settled quickly and they were off to play. Roxy was very bossy and possessive of the ball which was a first but I think it was just because she had some competition. Rox has always been one to "poke the bear" though which freaks me out - she has no sense of spacial awareness and gets into other dogs faces a lot which of course is just not acceptable. I think it's why the big off leash park is such an occasional treat for them. I much prefer our long lead walks.

All in all though, they had a very good outing and should be asleep for the rest of the day Big Grin

Back to top Go down

fun morning out Empty Re: fun morning out

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 10:52

Sounds like they had a fab time Lisa Smile  sound like their just so excited to be there that they forget their manners, maybe you could work on it with their friend by walking for a little bit on lead first, then their kinda used to her by the time they are of lead they may not be so excited. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Thu Jun 13 2013, 11:00

Hi Lisa,

I have the same problem, Rocky is very confronting especially with people. There is no controlling him, even on the lead and pulls with such force when he see's strangers, not in an aggressive way though, he just gets so excited to see other people.
Haven't yet taken him to a off-leash dog park though, hoping to very soon though as i'd like to get him used to it.
Rocky seems to be more scared of other dogs than anything, especially my mums maltese x Pomeranian which is half the size of Rocky, its quite funny though as he looks so tough, yet runs off at the sign of a dog barking at him.

I think they just love the interaction so much that treats and our calling out means nothing in the moment haha.

Glad to hear they had such a great time though!
Maria90
Maria90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 11:15

Yes, agree with both of you. Maria, Roxy used to be like that on leash but is much better. It's the rushing into other dog's spaces - I cannot allow that! That's why they will walk on their awesome long leads, but it is the odd time we go to the big park that I worry. We thought they'd stick with their friend and were having so  much fun swimming and running after the ball.

As I said, the person we walked with used to be their trainer and she told me not to stress so much about it, they're great dogs and they'll be fine. I do agree, but it's the "Staffy" phobia other people have that worries me and how other people react. Anyway, we don't go there often and when we do we go early in the morning when it's quiet. Other than that, they are on long leads - I cannot and will not be one of those owners who puts up with their dogs bugging other dogs and people Smile

On the bright side - they both got further into the water than ever before (up to their chins); both ran into the muddiest puddles and loved having a friend to play with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Jun 13 2013, 21:43

Glad you all had a good morning out Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy