:( My heart was in my mouth :(

+2
CaraElizabeth
Robyn2202
6 posters

Go down

:( My heart was in my mouth :(  Empty :( My heart was in my mouth :(

Post by Robyn2202 Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:05

So yesterday I was on the field where i normally walk my two with the locals who are usually on the field with their dogs and there are 2 jack russels that had a pop at zeke when they first met, Zeke was only 10 weeks old but they all get on now. well one of the jack russels hates other dogs going near him when he has his ball. Well Lola (bull mastiff) she is lovely and her owner were walking over and Lolas owner did say that Lola has been attacked by a different jack russell before and can be funny about them and before we knew it lola had pinned down the jack russell as he had growled. She wasn't savaging/biting more like putting her mouth around him and putting pressure on as there was no bite marks but by god there was a shreek from the jack russell. well we were all concerned about how the dogs were and we didn't realise that Zeke had went missing. I ran all the way home as people had said a staffy had just passed here and was long gone. I felt so sick. So I got home and he was there with the neighbours all shaken up, tail in between his legs whew! . He must of been petrified of the dog fight even though he was not involved. I praised him a lot for coming to me when I got home as I did not want to scare him anymore but I took him straight back to the field so that he doesn't think he can just run home every time something bad happens. He was lucky he wasn't killed as the roads are very busy at that time. He always plays with the dogs on the field and loves it but I can understand that he got scared. By god he can run very fast!

I am now worried that he will do it again just for no reason, but I do not want to keep him on a lead as he loves a run around.

Any suggestions.

Thanks Guys
Robyn2202
Robyn2202
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

:( My heart was in my mouth :(  Empty Re: :( My heart was in my mouth :(

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:10

What a nasty thing to happen, he must have been really worried by it!

Glad the JR wasn't hurt, but I dare say he deserved a telling off. Big Grin

The only advice I can give you is to work on his recall so that it's 100% even with distractions, and in the meantime invest in a long training line so that he can have freedom, but is still 'attached' to you! Apart from that, just keep an eye on him and step in quickly if you feel there's a scary situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:13

Thanks Caryll, Yes the JR did deserve it! and honestly by the time I had turned around to see him, he was nowhere insite. He had already made it home!
Ill just have to not let it bother me and keep going with his training!x
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 13:23

Aww I bet your heart was in your mouth Surprised big hugs for zeke I'm glad he got home safe >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 13:36

How worrying for you I would have been frantic, so glad Zeke got home safely Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Tue Jun 11 2013, 16:01

Aw what a terrible thing! Poor Zeke he must have been so scared! Im so glad he's okay! Has he ever run off before? Hopefully this was just a freak thing and it does not become a habit! I would work on his recall with a long lead! Otherwise I would be super careful and keep a really close eye on him!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 11 2013, 17:41

God I can only imagine how worried you where! Made a knot in my stomach reading it! It sounds very unfortunate, thankfully we don't walk off lead anywhere near home as I live in the town center but I wouldn't doubt that Moo would do the same thing Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 02:08

Gee that must have been horrible for you both Sad Glad that Zeke is ok.. I personally would not let him off lead if he isn't in a secure fenced off area until you get 100% recall.. Steff is pretty good, I would say 90% of the time she comes back but thats just not good enough I never let her off lead unless we are in the fenced dog park.. Long leads are a great idea for them to get some free play while you stay in control Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Wed Jun 12 2013, 08:09

Glad hes ok now,i couldnt thinking how i would feel if dog ran off on me,you always know you love your dog but its times like this where you really know you love your dog hehe Wink
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 08:27

Bless him, im glad everything turned out ok, i think all i can say is work on his recall.
Ken's recall is terrible, we working on it, and he's getting there, he's graduated to being on a extra long training lead left trailing behind him. I keep him with in reach at all times. x

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Wed Jun 12 2013, 11:12

Sounds like he was just playing to me and maybe was a little too rough and he got  scared he'd hurt the JR, and got spooked by the yelp, and took off because of that. He must have thought he'd be in trouble, bless him. Blushing
pag
pag

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Wed Jun 12 2013, 12:39

Thanks Guys, He has never run off before but he can be a bit skitzy at times when he hears weird noises. where we are isnt in a giant town but can get quite busy but the field we walk the dogs on is a bit out of the way but all I can say is that he got home! So proud that he knows how to get home.! Love Struck
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 12:55

When darcy was about zeke's age she decided about 5/10 mins from home that she didn't want to walk anymore so before we could stop her she backed out of her collar and legged it home, with my son hot on her heels, she ran all the way home Surprised  Scared the life out of him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarenGoodall Wed Jun 12 2013, 13:07

So glad it worked out ok, must admit I had a heart in mouth moment last night.  We are in the middle of getting the back garden fenced off to the front and so far if I am outside, colin has stayed at the side of me., then last night he just disappeared like a whippet, turns out he chased a cat, straight out onto the road.  Luckily we live on a quiet cul-de-sac, but my heart was going like the clappers and he did come back to me, but not before it was too late (as in, if a car had come he would have ... well I don't want to think about it.... needless to say, he's constantly on a long line now, even if I'm just hanging the washing out!!!!  I think its their missions to keep us on our toes!
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Colin
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Thu Jun 13 2013, 08:23

Its horrible isn't it? There is nothing worse than thinking that anything could have happened to them. My advice to anyone would be to walk their pups around the street near their home so they know where their home is. I think this definitely saved Zekes life from either being run over or stolen. So glad he went home. I would just love to be able to teach him road sense/awareness as I don't think that Zeke realises that cars can kill if he goes on the road. any ideas on how to do this? I do make him sit before we cross a road.
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down