questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out.

+3
CaraElizabeth
janey
Millyjude8
7 posters

Go down

questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out. Empty questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out.

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 16:35

Hey everyone, so as some of you may know, I am dying to own my very own (blue) staffordshire. I already have one maltipoo dog (3 years old), obedient/trained, gets along with most dogs (i say most, because sometimes he barks and growls at males, but loves the females. My brother has an english bulldog, male, at first he didnt like him, but now they sleep and play together --- also, the bulldog would sniff him, thinking maybe he was a girl since my maltipoo is fixed)

anyways, I have a new work schedule. It is bound to change, but not for a while. My schedule is like this:

7-9am and then a big break until 4pm and I go back home after 9pm.(7-9am and 4-9pm)

During that big break, I can train and socialize my pup. but I was doing my research and read this:

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are best suited for active families where someone is always home with them.

Obviously, all owners have a life outside their home, be it work or school. Do you all have someone at home at all times when your dogs are left alone? Or is that just an exagerration?
Also, on my time off, I would exercise with my dog, so it would get all the activities it needs to stay happy, fit and healthy.

Most importantly, I read and was told that I should have experience with a ¨big¨ dog like staffies first, before I decide to own one. Technically, I lived with an amstaff/pit mix (the one in my photo), and another amstaff as well on another occassion. The only dog I have owned was my maltipoo. He´s well trained and is very obedient when it comes to being inside the house. Altho, doggy manners, he doesnt always listen and pulls and gets distracted easily. Would it be hard for me to train a staffie? I personally don´t think so, but based on the experience I have, realistically, I would like to know your guys opinions.

ALSO! Since staffies are strong, super smart dogs and can sometimes do what they want, they need firmness and consistency. I can be firm and consistent. But something else I was told, and with dogs in general, with firmness and scolding, they listen mostly to deep voices. Since I am a girl, my voice is that of a GIRL! (my voice isnt squeaky or anything hahah) so will that play a huge part? Or no matter the tone of my voice, if I yell, NO!!! - they will get the point? I am guessing yes, but again, just something that has come up in convos when talking about dogs....

Novice dog owners should consult with a professional trainer who understands the nuances of the Stafford personality. Experienced dog owners should be able to handle this breed just fine. They need confident leadership, a bit of firmness (they can handle the criticism), and 100% consistency...

(website I got the info from:http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Breeds/Staffordshire-Bull-Terrier/Personality.aspx)
anyway, thank you in advance to those who answer Smile have a nice day!! thumbs up

wave
bluegia
bluegia
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : her name will be GIA or SAMBA
Dog(s) Ages : (pup in photo is my friend´s. i want one like her)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out. Empty Re: questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out.

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:38

I've heard this said before, but really, as long as you're prepared for a very intelligent but stubborn dog who can also, at the same time, be very sensitive, then there shouldn't be any problem at all.

Back to top Go down

questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out. Empty Re: questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out.

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:41

Lexi responds to a deeper voice but its not a "mans" voice just the change in tone. You would obey me yourself if i was speaking lower, its natural for all animals.

As for home all the time, yes staffies like company, but some can get on with it fine. If you have noone however i can't see how you can have a very young pup (ie just from the breeders) as 5 hours alone for a small pup would be a bit much to me..

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 16:47

Hayley wrote:Lexi responds to a deeper voice but its not a "mans" voice just the change in tone. You would obey me yourself if i was speaking lower, its natural for all animals.

As for home all the time, yes staffies like company, but some can get on with it fine. If you have noone however i can't see how you can have a very young pup (ie just from the breeders) as 5 hours alone for a small pup would be a bit much to me..

well, my schedule is from 7am to 9am, then I come back home and go back to work at 4pm and stay until 9pm, then head back home. Obviously I dont wanna leave my pup too long, but I would think the big gap I have is plenty to train and socialize my dog. If I was gone 8 hours straight then I would definately reconsider.

I do live alone in a condo, however, my cousin is my neighbor. So technically, I am not always alone. But yes, living wise, I am the only person in my house.
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:50

Train and socilizing is not the reason you need to be with your pup, its to keep them safe. Pups will eat anything and chew everything and get into all sorts of trouble. There is always the saying "if its quiet its up to trouble" with pups!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:51

bluegia wrote:then I come back home and go back to work at 4pm and stay until 9pm, then head back home.

So, actually, your pup will be alone for longer than 5 hours?

It isn't impossible, but you will have to understand that the pup is likely to cause damage through boredom and is likely to be harder to house train. You shouldn't leave the dog in a crate for that amount of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 16:55

Hayley wrote:Train and socilizing is not the reason you need to be with your pup, its to keep them safe. Pups will eat anything and chew everything and get into all sorts of trouble. There is always the saying "if its quiet its up to trouble" with pups!
ç

true. in this case, she will have her own room, with her bed, blankets, toys, but also have access to the hallway and parts of the kitchen. the living room, dining room, and my room will be blocked off.

any other suggestions? I have a patio, but right now it is a common area, so thats not an option for me at the moment.
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Fri May 24 2013, 16:59

I have to agree..Gwen is 5 months old now and I still wouldnt leave her in the crate for 5 hours..She needs to go potty more frequently than that! When Gwen was a really young pup (9 weeks) she needed to go every 30 minutes! I am not kidding! So if I left her for 5 hours in the crate she would go within 1/2 hour and then have to sit/lay in it for 5 hours until I got home which wouldnt be fair! Is there anyone you can have come to your house at least one to let the pup outside at least for a few minutes?
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Fri May 24 2013, 17:00

You absolutely could not leave your pup alone to just roam in a room/ kitchen/ hallway for 5 hours or more! This would be very dangerous for her as she could get into many dangerous things that could harm her! You would have to get a crate for when you were at work!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 17:00

Darcy had someone here 24/7 until she was 6 months old, now the longest time she's left at any time is 3 hours, your afternoon work schedule is long for a new puppy, but as caryll says not impossible. Smile is there no one that could pop in to see her in this time, a family member or neighbour? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 17:09

Oh, there is no way I would leave the pup in a crate for that long of hours. My cousin lives in the same building as me, so he could potentially check up on the pup when I'm not home, but again, I'd be gone in the morning for only 2 hours and then I'm free until 4pm. I can potty train with pee pads in the meantime + crate train.

bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 17:11

Nooo....lol my pup WOULD NOT be alone for longer than 5.

I would be gone from 7-9am and THEN I AM FREE until 4pm. I have a huge gap in between. Then I go back to work 4-9pm

And my cousin is my neighbor who could check up on her. but I wouldn't be gone that long except for maybe 4-9pm which is the longest Id be gone but I'd spend more time at home during my break (7 hours)
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Millyjude8 Fri May 24 2013, 17:18

But arn't you at work from 4pm to 9pm? Thats the five hours everyone is referring to.

Millyjude8
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Other / Decline to state

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 17:43

yes but no longer than 5 hours, and my cousin (who is also my neighbor) could help with checking up on her until she's a certain age, like Darcy-May did.

I know it's not impossible with my schedule but do u guys then recommend I wait to have a different schedule instead?I personally think my schedule helps me out, having that gap, as opposed to working 7 hours straight.

bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 18:18

Alone in the crate is preferable to roaming about. I don't think you realise how many things a pup will eat and choke on/bung their intestines up/fall down/hit

Are you really sure a pup is suitable for your lifestyle at the moment? An older dog might suit you better.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 24 2013, 18:30

You mentioned that your work schedule is bound to change, what too?

I live alone, yes Moo has company everyday but I found having a slightly older dog was much easier. Have you thought about re-homing? Or do really want a pup? It can work, but its bloody hard work! Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 19:56

Thanks for the responses guys Smile

Janey - my work schedule may change to less hours. I teach English as a second language, and after a few months, the hours rotate between teachers.

I own the building I live in, so re homing and moving somewhere else would be tough.

The good thing is that my cousin is my neighbor so he could help check up on my pup for a certain amount of months. My mom also comes and visits some days of the week, so that helps.

I really do want a pup. maybe an older dog will be easier but I think I'll just wait it out and see how my schedule plays out.

Thanks!
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 24 2013, 20:01

You seem to have a sensible head so it could work, as I said just hard! I had my first as a pup, I worked but she left with the partner who didn't help with training at all, it was hard work and eventually she just came to work with me. Would you be able to take a week or 2 off when you get the pupster, or as a teacher in the summer hols?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Fri May 24 2013, 23:20

janey wrote:

You seem to have a sensible head so it could work, as I said just hard! I had my first as a pup, I worked but she left with the partner who didn't help with training at all, it was hard work and eventually she just came to work with me. Would you be able to take a week or 2 off when you get the pupster, or as a teacher in the summer hols?

Thank you! I really want one, but I know I have to be super prepared to bring another life into my home. I was actually thinking of taking a week off once I end up getting a staffie.

If only I could bring my pup to work haha.
bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri May 24 2013, 23:35

A week off will certainly be an advantage, they do tend to sleep a lot anyway at a young age, it might be an idea to think about a puppy pen, more room and keeps them safe also keeps your room safe, my first, confined to the kitchen, ripped up the floor, and when I thought I could trust her in the hall way, chewed all the heals off my shoes!!! doh
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sat May 25 2013, 02:13

Crate is much safer than leaving the pup to roam! If you feel bad leaving him in the crate for 5 hours, I guarantee youll feel a lot worse when he eats something he shouldnt and has to get surgery to remove it out of his stomach or even worse you come home to a dead pup that choked on something because he was left unsupervised. A pup that young (im assuming you would get at 8 weeks) CANNOT be left alone to roam!!!!!!!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sat May 25 2013, 03:28

bluegia wrote:
Most importantly, I read and was told that I should have experience with a ¨big¨ dog like staffies first, before I decide to own one. Technically, I lived with an amstaff/pit mix (the one in my photo), and another amstaff as well on another occassion. The only dog I have owned was my maltipoo. He´s well trained and is very obedient when it comes to being inside the house. Altho, doggy manners, he doesnt always listen and pulls and gets distracted easily. Would it be hard for me to train a staffie? I personally don´t think so, but based on the experience I have, realistically, I would like to know your guys opinions.

Did you try to train your other dog outside the house? Staffy's are strong dogs and having them pull you around on walks is not nice. Some can also become aggressive with dogs so it's important to train them to follow your directions. They are really smart but can also be quite stubborn so you need to be really patient and consistent with the training to make sure your dog listen to you even when distracted.

Also, one of the reason I choose to get an adult dog was because I couldnt be home with a puppy 24/7 and could only get about a week of work. It might be possible to have a puppy with your work schedule but it's not ideal. There are so many benefits with adopting a dog so it might be worth considering. There is plenty of dogs arounde the age of 1-2 years in rescues that are still young.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegia Sat May 25 2013, 09:01

Annie and Maxi - yea, my dog knows how to let me know when he wants to go to the bathroom Smile

And you're right, I could adopt. I would love to actually. It would be easier for me to adopt in the States especially since there are a lot of pits and staffies, but right now I am in Peru, and dog shelters aren't so big (unfortunately) like they are back in the US. However, there are breeders.

bluegia
bluegia

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora Sat May 25 2013, 09:14

bluegia wrote:
I own the building I live in, so re homing and moving somewhere else would be tough.

I think they were referring more to rehoming an older dog from a rescue centre to live with you, not to you having to move house.
Have you considered volunteering at a rescue centre while you're finding your new best friend? It's a great way to get some more experience with the breed.
aurora
aurora

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a civil partnership
Dogs Name(s) : Taco and Sophie
Dog(s) Ages : 8th of February 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male; Female
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 25 2013, 10:09

bluegia wrote:The good thing is that my cousin is my neighbor so he could help check up on my pup for a certain amount of months. My mom also comes and visits some days of the week, so that helps.

This would all help tremendously! Just make sure whoever calls in knows which way you're training your pup so that everybody uses the same methods! It'll get very confused otherwise! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat May 25 2013, 11:08

I would definitely go for the crate option when leaving the pup alone. You'll be amazed at what a puppy can get up to if left alone for 5 mins. let alone 5 hours.

With regard to training, and at the risk of repeating myself, I've had dogs all my life but Bacchus is my first staffie. He is a whole different kettle of fish. He is very smart, very stubborn and has selective deafness. But he is also the most affectionate dog I have ever owned and has personality by the bucketload. At 10 months his training is very much still a work in progress but we are getting there.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sat May 25 2013, 11:15

bluegia wrote:Annie and Maxi - yea, my dog knows how to let me know when he wants to go to the bathroom Smile

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant as in obedience training when outside? You mentioned that your current dog pulls and doesn't listen when you are out on walks? This is something that will be a bigger problem with a staffy since they are a lot stronger and can be dog aggressive and you have to be prepared to put in a bit of training with this as well as "around the house"-obedience Smile
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
questions on owning a staffie!! help a newbie out. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down