advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox

+2
stella
_Jason_
6 posters

Go down

advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox Empty advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox

Post by _Jason_ Wed May 22 2013, 07:32

advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox 931416fc-1ba7-494c-bf63-6f0267cf2d06_zps41f12f07

I still have to wait another week untill brox is allowed to go out for walks,when i put the collar on him in the house to see what he would be like with it on he hated it,started crying gettting frustrated and just hated it being on,i dont know if i should just keep trying it on and ignore his worries untill he gets used to it,or try and find another method.

This is only temp anyhow,id rather buy him a harness for walking.

Any tips to get him used to his collar

advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox 84e33116-ccfe-4d98-8a01-7a5bc7959d79_zpsaf341e7a.jpg

Last edited by staffyforever on Wed May 22 2013, 07:39; edited 1 time in total
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox Empty Re: advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox

Post by _Jason_ Wed May 22 2013, 07:35

cant seem to post more pics *
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox Empty Re: advice needed, plus couple of new pics of brox

Post by stella Wed May 22 2013, 08:01

thats a gorgeous pic of brox Love Struck
i would keep putting his collar on him,just for short periods of time to start with and try to take his mind of it,play a game with him to distract him.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 08:34

Fab pik!

Try putting the collar on for short periods, but to be honest i dont think he will be that bothered by it when he's out and about so i wouldnt worry to much.

I understand that you will be getting a harness, by law your dog has to ware a collar with its i.d tag on as well in a public place (not sure if this applies in Scotland mind, you might wanna check it out) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 08:39

Aww Bronx is adorable, yeah I'd put his collar on at home for short periods and then lengthen the time he'll get used to it, darcy hated hers and used to sulk lots when we put it on. Now she doesn't mind at all Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 09:07

What sort of collar are you using? I usually start off with a cat's collar because it's very lightweight, soft & elasticated!

Once your pup can put up with the cat collar you can use whichever collar you want & he should accept it without any problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 22 2013, 10:23

Good advice already, just wanted to say what a cute pup Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Wed May 22 2013, 10:27

I used a very light weight collar with Zeke and he didn't even notice it was on but when I take him out I use a harness as when he first went on walks he used to try and back out of his collar as he got scared of like cars but he got used to them Smile Good luck, gorgeous pic by the way! Love Struck
Robyn2202
Robyn2202
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 10:38

Great pic and I would keep trying the collar and lead as well. Suki hated them as well as her harness and clothes. Eventually she just got used to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 15:41

Introducing a collar to a puppy can sometimes take time and patience. A lot of puppies don't like the feel of it at first. Taking it slowly and gradually extending the time he wears the collar will probably help. You can also use praise and treats to allow him to form a positive association with the collar, as well as distract him from the strange feeling of having a collar on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 21:28

When we put Loki's collar on, we distracted him by playing some games with him so after a while he got used to it. He was the same with the lead, harness, and anything else new he had to wear, just distract him and eventually he'll get used to it. By the way, I'm not sure, but I think it's the law that all dogs must wear a collar with the ID tag on (even if you're using a harness)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 22:11

What an adorable puppy Love Struck

Loads of good advice above. I've never come across a pup yet who hasn't hated having a collar on at first. He'll learn to ignore it when he has treats and praise, and then when he can go out on little walks (5 minutes for each month of his life) in the great outdoors, he'll be so distracted by the fascinating sights and smells that he will soon learn to ignore the collar. It may not seem so at first, but before you know it he will become excited by the sight and sound of his collar, knowing that he's going to go walkies! Fairy steps Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitt Thu May 23 2013, 01:17

Funnily enough Tiger totally accepted both her collars without fuss, the first one was too big and this one is just right but she's just laying with it on right now, she doesn't care, she gave a bit of fuss with the harness and then almost instantly got used to it, she's such a good girl. ;P

But yes, make sure it's not too tight or loose, if it's too loose it'll rub against his neck and cause irritation, it had to fit just right, he'll also likely chew on the lead until he gets used to that as well as he'll consider it a toy.

You'll get there though.
Kitt
Kitt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tiger-Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu May 23 2013, 10:33

I'm going through a similair thing with Bacchus atm. but with his harness. He puts on his miserable expression when I go to put it on him. It's a nice comfy Ezydog harness and we're trying to get him used to it because my wife wants to buy him a nice leather one once he's fully grown. Trouble is he rubs it against the outside wall of the house and rolls about in the grass when out for walks. He doesn't seem to be distressed by it, just would rather not have it on, and once he starts to play he forgets about it. But I don't want to spend over £40 for a nice leather harness just for him to get it all scratched and scruffy.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down