How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge?

4 posters

Go down

How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge? Empty How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge?

Post by Oswald Sun May 19 2013, 06:09

Just trying to work out how many portions I can keep in the fridge at a time. Thanks in advance
Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge? Empty Re: How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge?

Post by StuW Sun May 19 2013, 08:29

A few days worth I'd say.
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge? Empty Re: How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge?

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 09:47

I would treat it the same as human food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 09:58

Same as for humans. Raw meat I wouldn't keep for more than a couple of days. Cooked, about 3 or 4 days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 10:01

I normally keep all the meat in the freezer then put it in a lunchbox and into the fridge the night before. If it doesn't get used that day the most I would keep it for would be the following day. Even then sometimes it smells and I have to bin it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 10:01

See I would say the opposite Caryll, raw can keep longer than cooked. But I'm not a chef lol

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sun May 19 2013, 10:07

I'd keep it longer if its for the dogs, dogs can cope with off meat
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 10:09

I treat it the same as our food.. I will have 1 days worth in the fridge and the next mornings meal, so thats 3 meals.. Then when I feed the last morning meal I will get another 3 meals out of the freezer and put in fridge to defrost Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 12:23

I'm pretty much the same as Kylie - a couple meal's worth at a time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 17:06

i keep it up to a week, and then i just give whatever there is to the dogs.

I do not treat it the same as meat for people, my boys have had completely off green meat and my days they loved it Rolling Eyes and never had upset bellies!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun May 19 2013, 20:14

I tend to take their meat out the freezer the night before so it's defrosted for the following morning.
I'd always treat Raw the same as human food.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 19 2013, 21:24

Hayley wrote:See I would say the opposite Caryll, raw can keep longer than cooked. But I'm not a chef lol

No, raw deteriorates quicker than cooked.

Although dogs can cope with slightly 'ripe' meat, I just don't like the idea of it being in my fridge in that state! Laughing

There are too many nasty bacteria that could transfer from the 'off' meat to the human's food, so I won't risk it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oswald Sun May 19 2013, 23:31

Thanks everyone, clear as mud bwhahaha Wink
Oswald
Oswald
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How long can meat for pets be kept in the fridge? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oswald
Dog(s) Ages : 31/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 20 2013, 00:41

Well I don't see the point of getting else out other then the next days food. So all I do is defrost the next days food in their bowls on top of the freezer I never defrost in the fridge

I only keep things in the fridge if I can't fit it in the freezer but I really will keep as long as it takes for them to get round to eating it, I will not waste food, but there is no people food in that fridge so am not bothered

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Mon May 20 2013, 12:26

I use the top shelf of the fridge to keep the dog's meat once defrosted in their own sealed plastic containers. The food I buy arrives monthly already frozen. I normally defrost enough for the next day but as the ox hearts come in a kg bag, and I only give them a couple with their main minced meat or meaty bone, these are usually in the fridge for about three days. The meat does specify on it to use within three days of defrosting.

I do believe though that dogs can eat meat without any ill effects that we would perhaps turn our noses up to >=P I read somewhere that the acid in their stomachs would burn our fingers if we were to touch it.
saffi28
saffi28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down