Is this normal

Go down

Is this normal Empty Is this normal

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:29

Lady my 14 year old bitch keeps trying to mount Milly is this normal??

Back to top Go down

Is this normal Empty Re: Is this normal

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:31

Yes, it's a show of dominance. She's just reinforcing who is the leader! It's something you should probably discourage as it can lead to bad feeling. Just keep an eye open for signs that Milly doesn't start to resent it. You may need to step in to avoid a squabble.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:33

Caryll wrote:Yes, it's a show of dominance. She's just reinforcing who is the leader!

Caryll she is really going for it tho and it as only just started this week milly just lies there

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:35

That's probably because Milly's getting older & more mature. She's realising that Milly could be a threat to the hierarchy. It does look funny, though, seeing a female hump another one!

At the moment Milly doesn't know what's going on, but when she gets a bit older her instincts will tell her that Lady's trying to dominate her & she may not like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:45

We do stop it straight away someone said that it could be that Milly is coming into season but I not seen any signs. But thanks for the advice Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:47

Yes, she could be coming into season & that could be adding to Lady's unease, but it's still best to stop it if you can - it saves problems later on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:49

Caryll wrote:Yes, she could be coming into season & that could be adding to Lady's unease, but it's still best to stop it if you can - it saves problems later on.

Will do wot signs should i look for re Milly coming into season I know the obvious but are there any signs before because I am wary of taking her out??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 21:59

You'll see her lady bits start to swell and she'll start to lose some blood. After a while the blood will turn to a straw like discharge. I copied this article from the net..........

"How Long Is a Dog in Heat? A normal heat cycle lasts approximately three weeks. In the beginning stages, known as proestrus, a bitch's vulva begins to swell, and you may notice her licking herself more than usual. Male dogs will also begin sniffing her more as her hormones start to produce a scent that signals she is coming into breeding condition.

How to Tell If Your Dog Is in Heat?
Very soon after the vulva begins to swell, the bitch will begin to produce a bloody discharge. The amount will vary from one bitch to the next, so it may or may not be noticeable.

Sometime around nine to twelve days, the color of the discharge lightens to a pinkish-tan color, and it's usually around this time, referred to as estrus, that the vulva softens and eggs are released from the ovaries. At this point you may notice your bitch flirting with other dogs; this is a sign she is ready to accept a male's advances.

If the heat cycle is allowed to continue uninterrupted, by the third week, the discharge begins to look bloody again. The amount will trail off until the cycle has concluded with anestrus. "

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 23 2011, 22:02

Thanks Caryll appreciate your help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down