new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy

4 posters

Go down

new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy Empty new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy

Post by stobbsie Thu May 16 2013, 13:51

hello my name is louise i have a 2 and half year old staffy white we got him when he was 6 months old from somone who couldnt cope with him ,the dog will sit and give paw and lay down thats it ,my problem is that he used to get on well with any other dog but now he goes crazy and goes to bite and snarl ,What would of changed that would make him behave like this,when it comes to walking i see people with there well behaved staffy and other breeds walking at side of there owners no lead ect if i let taz of the lead he is like a wippet and gone ,then turns into a dog hunt,so my questions are how do i stop him from being aggressive towards other dogs and to be able to let him off a lead when walking or is it too late for him
stobbsie
stobbsie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy Empty Re: new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy

Post by Steve Thu May 16 2013, 14:15

was he attack by another dog?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy Empty Re: new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy

Post by Steve Thu May 16 2013, 14:19

some links may help you xx

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t20562-how-to-stop-aggressive-behavior-in-dogs
http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language
http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_to_train_an_adult_dogs

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 14:47

Has anything changed? When did he start to dislike other dogs?

With the running off, you could get a long line (50' lead from ebay - they're quite cheap), that way he'll be able to run around, but you'll still have control.

Back to top Go down

Post by stobbsie Thu May 16 2013, 16:03

thanks for the reply yes at our last address a dog jumped over the wall (kind of dog they use to hunt deers) and attacked taz ,i had totally forgotten about that,we also mated him as well around the same time he started not getting on with other dogs ,going to read the links above carefully and order a long lead ,,
also got the dog to sit and STAY with the help of some chicken i was impressed i know he can do it its just having the knowledge on how to teach it
stobbsie
stobbsie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stobbsie Thu May 16 2013, 16:22

i read this in one of the links
:If you find that your dog is "protecting" you, consider that your dog thinks of you as a valuable resource that he must guard, like a prized bone. Yes, he's possessing you;
if my children are playing and another dog or ppl come close taz will sit proud next to the children as if to make him self bigger and kinda grunts as if to say back off!! really he does this
stobbsie
stobbsie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

new member needs help with 2+ years old male staffy Empty Staffy aggression

Post by Bidders Thu May 16 2013, 16:56

Hi we too have just got a staffy rescue, she is 3 and called Lilly. We were told on collection that she had been bitten by another dog so is now not so dog friendly. We have had her for a month and have seen some signs of aggression, snappy and snarling on the lead while meeting other dogs but seemed better off the lead. Has met a few dogs in field and sniffed and played or just ignored.Today I made a huge mistake we went walking with friends and there 2 dogs all was fine they were running around the fields until he sniffed her back end she then sat down and he got on her back and she attacked him! They were fighting and he has some injuries luckily minor and I have a very understanding friend. As you can imagine it has scared me I now no longer feel we can let her off the lead to run around for fear of other dogs. She has been used for breeding in her previous home and is waiting to be spayed nxt month!

I need any advice I can get please
Bidders
Bidders

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lilly
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 17:01

Bidders wrote:Hi we too have just got a staffy rescue, she is 3 and called Lilly. We were told on collection that she had been bitten by another dog so is now not so dog friendly. We have had her for a month and have seen some signs of aggression, snappy and snarling on the lead while meeting other dogs but seemed better off the lead. Has met a few dogs in field and sniffed and played or just ignored.Today I made a huge mistake we went walking with friends and there 2 dogs all was fine they were running around the fields until he sniffed her back end she then sat down and he got on her back and she attacked him! They were fighting and he has some injuries luckily minor and I have a very understanding friend. As you can imagine it has scared me I now no longer feel we can let her off the lead to run around for fear of other dogs. She has been used for breeding in her previous home and is waiting to be spayed nxt month!

I need any advice I can get please

Hi, bidders. Perhaps you could introduce yourself here....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

and then start up your own thread here....

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f3-staffordshire-bull-terrier-training-and-behaviour

More people will see your post that way & be able to help you! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 17:03

stobbsie wrote:thanks for the reply yes at our last address a dog jumped over the wall (kind of dog they use to hunt deers) and attacked taz ,i had totally forgotten about that,we also mated him as well around the same time he started not getting on with other dogs

Well, there are two things that could well have triggered anti-dog responses!

Do you have a friend with a bomb-proof dog that you can walk him with until he understands that he doesn't have to put every dog in its place?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 17:38

It's never too late for a dog to learn new things or improve their current behaviour. Worth a try, anyway, but goes without saying, never let him off the lead until you can trust him not to run off. You can get long lines, pretty cheap, online, so they can have a run around without them running away and not coming back. Great for teaching them to come back to you too.

Back to top Go down

Post by stobbsie Thu May 16 2013, 18:08

just ordered longer lead 30ft from ebay going to see how that goes
stobbsie
stobbsie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Fri May 17 2013, 10:34

Hi I have the same problem but I dont know Ozzys history, he is 4 and we rescued him 6 montsh ago. I dont ever let him off teh lead but have an xl flexi lead so he has some freedom to run around but with me in control. He has never been any good with other dogs, especially large ones, i may go to a beviourist to try and tackle the problem with some stooge dogs and at least be able to walk past other dogs without there being a frenzy. If anyone does come back with some advcie then i woudl be interested to hear it. We ahve tried sitting down away form teh pasisng dogs, giving a piece of something tasty to distract, the watch technique but nothing works. I'm jsut frightened what he would do to another dog given teh chance!!!
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down