advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ?

5 posters

Go down

advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ? Empty advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ?

Post by jackc92 Wed May 15 2013, 19:15

Hi guys just wondering if anybody has any idea about allergies and any tips on finding what it could be ? i have a 5 month old dark brindle boy and he scratches alot and sometimes he gets really distressed about it he sometimes weeps from his eyes and he nips and licks his fur quite alot as well, ino it isnt flea's because hes just been done recently and goes to the vets every month to be done but from what ive read online it looks to be an allergic reaction and also ive been told of staffy owners they have a tendency to have dry skin any ideas ? Hes in the vets for a check up in the couple of weeks ill get them to have a look but thought id ask first thanks in advance.
jackc92
jackc92
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sheen,Ivy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male ,Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ? Empty Re: advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ?

Post by Jackieb Wed May 15 2013, 19:23

Sounds possibly like an allergy,

Half a piriton tablet may calm the symptoms. (You might want to check with your vet for dosage advice) Add some vitamin e and salmon oil to his food, this will condition the skin.

What is he fed on ?
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ? Empty Re: advise on pup itching ? possible allergies ?

Post by jackc92 Wed May 15 2013, 19:32

Thanks for the advise ! and hes fed on hills science plan we got a free bag from the vets when we signed him up for a care pack on insurance and fed him on that ever since the vets told us it was the best food to give him he also gets some pedigree puppy sachets mixed with the dry food for some flavour
jackc92
jackc92

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed May 15 2013, 20:00

Pedigree isn't a great food. If he's on hills, I'd stick to that only.
Maby add into his diet a raw egg every few days or half run of sardines. (Stay as natural as u can)

X
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15 2013, 20:35

I actually don't think Hills is a good food at all!

Most of the types have cereal/wheat as a first ingredient, followed by meat meal and then animal fats. For expample, the large breed chicken one is......

Ingredients:
Corn, wheat, poultry meal, animal fats, soya bean meal, gluten meal, protein hydrolysate, vegetable oil, beet pulp, minerals, linseed, rice, hydrolysate from crustaceans (source of chonroitin sulfate), hydrolyate from crustacean shells (source of glucosamine).

There is no good quality meat in it, far too much corn & wheat and is so expensive it's unbelieveable!

You'd be better off going for something like James Wellbeloved - a hypoallergenic food which leaves out things like wheat & cereals which are known to cause skin issues.

By all means try half a piriton tablet twice a day, but the food won't be doing your dog any favours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Harry Halpin Wed May 15 2013, 20:41

We had to change harrys food from james welbeloved as he was itching all the time we changed to applaws as it is cereal free and he hardly ever scratches at all now
Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kitt Wed May 15 2013, 22:23

Yeah the problem with hills is, well, vets simply aren't nutritionists, they're just told in vet school that it's the best and they sell it and earn money off it so of course they're going to tell you it's the best because as far as they know, it is, they don't question it or look further into it. For some illnesses Hills does help but otherwise you're better off looking elsewhere.

For my cats, I spent days looking into foods and their ingredients, looking for the best mid price food with good protein and meat in them and even moisture level is important. Foods need a good balance and decent foods, no matter the animal, need a good balance of everything.
Kitt
Kitt
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tiger-Lilly
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Thu May 16 2013, 09:40

My Zeke is dark brindle too and when we first got him he always used to itch and scratch and nibble at his self but had no fleas. Every morning he would have green goo in his eyes. He is now 5 months old and it has cleared itself up. I think it was just a youngster thing. If I see him itching in a certain place I have this special spray that has tea tree oil in and is called skin calm. seems to do the trick Smile plus Zeke is on a raw food diet which is brilliant for his coat and he gets Mackerel once a week to give the oils to his skin xx
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by jackc92 Thu May 16 2013, 17:39

thanks for the comments and advise ill give the new diets a go but i have a 3 month old aswell and her skin/fur is fine so im thinking it may be an allergy but im going to look into the james welbeloved as you said the vets arnt nutritionists! the experts are the staffy owners thats why i posted on here !
jackc92
jackc92

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down