Puppy and Cats

4 posters

Go down

Puppy and Cats Empty Puppy and Cats

Post by Loupee Sun May 05 2013, 11:09

Some of this was mentioned in my intro post, but looking for some advice.
Oscar is a 10 week old Staffy X we got from the rescue on Wednesday (been here 4 days now) and is settling in really well, already doing the toilet outside and sleeping all night.
We also have 2 cats (1 is 8, the other is nearly 2, both rescues) the current living situation is that the cats get the run of upstairs and the hall/stairs, Oscar has the run of downstairs (Kitchen, dining room and lounge) once a day we have kept Oscar in the lounge and let the cats have a sniff of the kitchen, and a run about outside.
We want to encourage our animals to live in harmony, and would appreciate any advice on how to move on from here. Has anyone had a similar situation, is it too soon to try introductions? I love my new puppy, but worry the cats might start to feel abandoned soon!
Loupee
Loupee
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Oscar
Dog(s) Ages : 10 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy and Cats Empty Re: Puppy and Cats

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 11:54

As a young pup he will quite easily grow to live with the cats. There is more of a chance of the cat not excepting the dog quickly, but that will come with time.

It is important to have areas where the cats can go all over the house to get away if play becomes to rough etc. As long as there are benches etc it should be sufficient. However, baby gates are always a God send as the cats can get past them easily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 12:17

I reckon introducing them as soon as possible is good, but to obviously keep an eye on Oscar in case he gets a bit too excitable and annoys the cats. Because he's so young, he'll learn to accept them easily I reckon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 14:14

I agree with above, just watch them like a hawk, I'm sure they'll get to know & like each other soon enough Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Loupee Sun May 05 2013, 14:27

Thanks for the replies will try and introduce them in the next couple of days, try and find a time when my husband is in as well.
Already have baby gates, as also have a baby. Will make sure doors etc are open so cats can get away. Just want to do it right.
Loupee
Loupee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Sun May 05 2013, 16:32

I had a similar situation but gradually introduced Otis (dog) to capsian (cat) pretty much as soon as we got Otis. They had their moments and still do where they play fight etc but they do tolerate each other now.
Just ensure you have a safe place for cats to go eg high places, another room, baby gates etc so cat can escape if it gets too much for them. Capsians favourite is on top of the fridge or kitchen cabinets.
Patience is key though and praise/treat the dog for being nice or time out if he is too excited and harassing the cats.

The will become friends in time as mine are see picture xxx
Puppy and Cats 6f7f0efabb943ad31b636ac6ae77d262_zps1e1e5c19
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Loupee Mon May 06 2013, 18:00

Thanks, Otis and Caspian are a gorgeous pair Smile
So they have met, and although there has been lots of running away and thundering about, no fur has flown yet!
2 things to note tho, Oscar can breach the baby gate by squeezing through the bar and the wall, caused me much confusion when I was getting my son up from my nap and Oscar appeared!
Also Oscar appears to have eaten more cat food than the cats have. I'm hoping that as a one off it won't cause him any trouble. I think the cats are a bit stressed out so off their food a bit, therefore leaving more in their bowl. I'll be cutting down what I'm giving them until their appetite returns.
Thanks for the advice and giving me the courage to just go for it! No harm has come to any of them. Unless you think cat food is really dangerous for a puppy? Should I be more worried about it?
Loupee
Loupee

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 18:51

Just make sure the cat can jump up somewhere safe when Oscar is about, never hold the cat while trying to make friends as it will spook the cat. Puppies learn that the cats will scratch quite quickly! Be careful if the pup wants to play and the cat doesn't as puppy's eyes can be scratched and this will entail a visit to the Vet's and can cost about £70 Straight Face It will take a while though Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Mon May 06 2013, 19:26

We have 3 cats and have had Bacchus since last September and the cats are only now beginning to get a bit bolder with him as he starts to calm down. Both he and the cats have the run of the house and there is always somewhere high for the cats to go. We have 2 siamese and a very large moggie tom cat. Bacchus won't pass the moggie on the stairs and will sit and whine rather than risk a scratched nose.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Tue May 07 2013, 21:50

Charlie will still chase our cat and Oscar is not amused! He only wants to play but trouble is he tries to get above the cat and puts his paw on him Sad
Griffin5
Griffin5
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy and Cats Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down