crying

2 posters

Go down

crying Empty crying

Post by Ticklymac Fri Apr 26 2013, 23:46

So this kind of stems of my other post about when i come home,
Leroy is just so easy wound up and i've not got a clue how to stop it!
When i'm gettin their meals ready they are both always at the back of me, but Diesel will tend to just stand or wait patiently, Leroy on the other hand jumps up at the bunker an howls an crys an does that funny almost horse noise, if i put them out the kitchen behind the gate it just gets worse! Altho diesel is still silent an waitin calmly.
when i have finished preparin their meals i always get them to sit an wait an only allow them to eat when i say - well with Diesel anyway. I do try with Leroy but hes just so excited, he'l sit an if he moves before the dish is on the ground i stop an put him back in a sit, an he seems to be gettin that, but how do i stop his noise when im preparing the food??
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

crying Empty Re: crying

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:01

You probably can't. I know that isn't what you want to hear, sorry.

The only thing I can sugest is splitting his food into 2 or 3 meals so that he isn't so ravenously hungry when it's meal time. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:05

He gets feds twice, once in the morn when i get in then in the evening. He's very into his food an tends to scoff it an then will lick a few layers off the bowl, in fact he has also bit his bowl an tried to eat that one day! Lol
i feed him more than he needs for his weight so shouldn't b that hungry surely!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:14

Is he the younger one? If so it might settle down when he isn't burning as much energy. If it is not something that terribly annoys you just ignore it he may grow out of it. If its annoying you can as suggested split the meal or try changing the meal times about to random times and prepare them out of sight, then he won't have the time to get worked up cause he won't know when it's happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:16

I'd measure his day's food out in the morning & then give him a handful every now and again throughout the day. Don't give him a chance to get over excited about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:19

Coz he's a rescue dunno how old he is, its reckoned hes under 2yrs old anyway. Feedin tíme is the only tíme he's over energetic lol i do try to sneak of to do it but the kitchen is right nxt to the livingroom so they always hear me, they know the sound of the food container openin!
Mayb try shuttin the living room door behind me when i go into kitchen....
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:21

Would i do with Diesel too Caryll to stop any kind of jealous that hes gettin food an she's not? Or just try an get Leroy on his own so she doesn't see
Shes fine at meals tíme ay,
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:23

Yeah feed at the same time. If one gets fed first they can get a bit of a superiority complex! (The alpha always eats first)

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:48

Ticklymac wrote:how do i stop his noise when im preparing the food??
Bailey used to do this, not because she was starving, but because she's a puppy and self-control is not her strong point! One day I said "Bailey, NO!" and she stopped doing it. She still sits there and shakes with anticipation, but without the noise. It might not work with Leroy but it's worth a try Smile If you never tell him it's unacceptable, how will he know?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 08:45

You could try doing some training with treats. Start by getting Leroy to lie down, wait 1 sec then say Yes! god boy and give him a treat. Over several weeks you can build up the time he has to stay down for calmly before saying Yes! good Leroy. This may help to build up leroy's patience and also teech him that calmness gets him the rewards. Then once he has got better and better you can put him in a down positin before feeding him. Maybe to start with put some food in his bowl while he is in another room so he only has oto be down for a couple of secs before you reward him. That way he doesn't get the time to start getting wound up as your preparing the food. Sorry for essay Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:26

I'll give that a try, been workin on his "leave" as he can b a bit snatchy sometimes an he's gettin better with that. He will usually leave the treat i've placed on my leg an when he does i treat out the other hand but if im not quick enough in movin the one he was told to leave he grabs it!! Cheeky wee monster.
Am sure we'll get there, just need to keep remindin myself altho hes a bit older its just like havin a puppy, need to start from the beginnin.
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 17:43

Ticklymac wrote:Would i do with Diesel too Caryll to stop any kind of jealous that hes gettin food an she's not? Or just try an get Leroy on his own so she doesn't see
Shes fine at meals tíme ay,

There wouldn't be any jealousy - dogs don't think that way. Try feeding Diesel as normal & Leroy a bit at a time. Maybe if she seems a bit put out you could give her a treat each time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 21:47

If he is a bit snappy you can try feeding the treat to the side of his mouth or feed it lower down do he has to lower his head to take the treat. It's allot harder for a dog to snap at food when their neck is tucked in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down