Need a new multi purpose lead

4 posters

Go down

Need a new multi purpose lead Empty Need a new multi purpose lead

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 19:51

Tommy ate his today as I wasn't watching him so was going to buy another Trixie lead as it's been great

HOWEVER - found their website today and it seems that they market prong collars so off my shopping list and going to spend more money on Ezydog

Back to top Go down

Need a new multi purpose lead Empty Re: Need a new multi purpose lead

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:10

Does this have to be a long training lead type one or would something like this be OK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Softex-203cm-Adjustable-Training-Police/dp/B0059EMSQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366484921&sr=8-1&keywords=police+dog+leads

Need a new multi purpose lead 41tNsyXr4JL._SL500_AA300_
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:49

Kathy wrote:Does this have to be a long training lead type one or would something like this be OK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Softex-203cm-Adjustable-Training-Police/dp/B0059EMSQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366484921&sr=8-1&keywords=police+dog+leads

I've got the Halti version of that and it's excellent Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:57

Kathy wrote:Does this have to be a long training lead type one or would something like this be OK:

Got one of these for Ledger tbh tend to walk him on half length but the full length option is long enough to give him a bit of freedom
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:59

I have these Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360491585117?var=630056033886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sat Apr 20 2013, 22:12

I have the ezydog vario 6 and I am extremely happy with it. I use the handsfree leash for jogging and the short leash for regular walking (and i have found that you don't really have to put the leash through the hole in the middle of the leash to do this) and the long leash for park walking and sniffing
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need a new multi purpose lead Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 08:35

ella wrote:I have these Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360491585117?var=630056033886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have this too thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 10:29

I've got the halti training lead which is a good all rounder. I've also got the ezydog shock lead and the mutley lead. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 11:06

looks like some good options there , the only thing I particularly like about the Trixie leads we have now is there is a big ring and a D ring on them and they are not stitched into position and have sliding adjustment on the lead so you can make a small handle/long lead or a bigger over the shoulder (again adjustable so for me as i am taller it's tighter under my armpit for more length whereas Jenny can have it a bit looser as she is shorter than me so it is very versatile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:05

Going to try one of these , little bugger is chewing leads now if we stop and tether him for a while (at a bench for lunch or something) so not paying a fortune and if you recommend them then that's good enough for me Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:07

Dave wrote:

Going to try one of these , little bugger is chewing leads now if we stop and tether him for a while (at a bench for lunch or something) so not paying a fortune and if you recommend them then that's good enough for me Big Grin

haha yer if he eats it then it won't cost a fortune to replace Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:18

im having the same lead chewing issue with Ledger but only when he is at agility he went through a nylon and a leather lead so has been on a chain (although he has figured that the handle is nylon) however the chain isn't practical so I picked up a cheap slip lead from P@H and blotted some tabasco sauce onto it 2 classes attended and no chewing (so far)
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:42

jshrew wrote:im having the same lead chewing issue with Ledger but only when he is at agility he went through a nylon and a leather lead so has been on a chain (although he has figured that the handle is nylon) however the chain isn't practical so I picked up a cheap slip lead from P@H and blotted some tabasco sauce onto it 2 classes attended and no chewing (so far)

Agility is really exciting for them , I know when I took tilly she showed a an over excited traits that I'd never seen for ages , feet biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 17:56

Hmmm is an extendible lead not practical for you? I know you can get them different lengths, different sizes and even different size hand grips and everything! I'm thinking about changing ebonys extendible lead to something like the posts above though; I usually just let her roam wherever I'm walking on a long lead as she's very well behaved, I am extremely visualant and I make sure she comes to be before going round corners and is trained to wait at roads so things like that are no problem. I've seen so many people using those leads! Whenever I walk her she tends to spend most of her time off lead (on fields) and I just wanted something a bit more practical since her extendable is pretty big to carry/hook on anywhere since it's a really long one so the actual handle is huge (It's kinda hard/uncomfortable for me to hold too). I wouldn't want to cut her freedom down when walking through woods and stuff because the new lead was shorter though? I'm in two minds really, I'd rather be in discomfort than shortening her roaming freedom so any help would be great Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:05

I really don't like flexi leads as you don't have the control when you need it . If doggie is on a long line much easier to haul in than on a flexi .
Most times for us it is just off lead , used a long line lately a bit more with Tommy as he has been a little naughty so want top make sure he is back on track, but we do have some places where dogs have to be on lead. Also lately have had a couple of times whilst walking roadside (short lead ALWAYS) you get some person with their kid walking the dog on a flexi that thinks its perfectly sound to walk on a roadside with 20ft of flexi extended ready to walk out into the road or into the path of my unpredictable dog which I am making great efforts to control

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:23

Ohh I see maybe not an extendable then! Can you buy the same style training leads from Pets At Home? After seeing how many people use them I'm so tempted to get one! Just unsure of the brand or anything; I'll probably go with Ezy dog as I've seen so many people with their stuff and she needs a new harness too! Which one did you have before? Is it just called a Trixie lead? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:26

CodlingKid wrote:Ohh I see maybe not an extendable then! Can you buy the same style training leads from Pets At Home? After seeing how many people use them I'm so tempted to get one! Just unsure of the brand or anything; I'll probably go with Ezy dog as I've seen so many people with their stuff and she needs a new harness too! Which one did you have before? Is it just called a Trixie lead? Smile

yer i would never recommend a flexi lead (the extendible ones) go for a police style these in this thread that has a clip either end, and a long training lead for a run around as you can get up to 100ft ones Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:36

CodlingKid wrote:Ohh I see maybe not an extendable then! Can you buy the same style training leads from Pets At Home? After seeing how many people use them I'm so tempted to get one! Just unsure of the brand or anything; I'll probably go with Ezy dog as I've seen so many people with their stuff and she needs a new harness too! Which one did you have before? Is it just called a Trixie lead? Smile

The trixie lead i do not recommend as their site supports prong collars . Ezydog stuff is fantastic, collars and harnesses go for it but as I'm finding out there are better and cheaper stuff out there

I bought a training line from PAH 30ft I think for over a tenner but you can buy them from amazon , ebay etc for peanuts so I've just bought a 50ft ( the red one you see in my other pics for £6.25 ) and on the back of that bought a black one and a splitter for them both when I am on my own ( 2 training lines is a nono on your own)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 18:39

Ooooh, okay! I'm steering away from the Trixie gear then! Ezy dog it is! Thanks a lot for the info Dave Big Grin I'm gonna go and have a look at prices now Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:25

I use the police style leads as they are so flexible. Used them for years withmy gsds. They are strong as well
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:49

ella wrote:
Dave wrote:

haha yer if he eats it then it won't cost a fortune to replace Wink

last time ella posted this link i bought one and they are extremly good quality for the price the catches are really good strong ones which go a long way for you dave as i remember you were a fan of carabiner fastners becouse of poor quality ones in the past

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 12:53

Dave wrote:

The trixie lead i do not recommend as their site supports prong collars . Ezydog stuff is fantastic, collars and harnesses go for it but as I'm finding out there are better and cheaper stuff out there

I bought a training line from PAH 30ft I think for over a tenner but you can buy them from amazon , ebay etc for peanuts so I've just bought a 50ft ( the red one you see in my other pics for £6.25 ) and on the back of that bought a black one and a splitter for them both when I am on my own ( 2 training lines is a nono on your own)

i bought a 100ft training line dave and i dont think memphis has getting to full length yet so more like he running around free Big Grin
to tell the truth i thought they would be a bit of a pain for tripping over etc but so far never had a problem getting tangled or anything thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 19:58

Warren wrote:
I bought a 100ft training line dave and i dont think memphis has getting to full length yet so more like he running around free Big Grin
to tell the truth i thought they would be a bit of a pain for tripping over etc but so far never had a problem getting tangled or anything thumbs up

It's having 2 of them together that the issue Warren I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:02

I understand your being cautious there Dave, Rocky can get a bit stressed when he gets tangled up in another lead.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:12

Kathy wrote:I understand your being cautious there Dave, Rocky can get a bit stressed when he gets tangled up in another lead.

It's impossible to handle 2 dogs alone on their own lines

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:09

Dave wrote:
Kathy wrote:I understand your being cautious there Dave, Rocky can get a bit stressed when he gets tangled up in another lead.

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor you would end up like a maypole Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 21:17

Warren wrote:
Dave wrote:

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor you would end up like a maypole Laughing Laughing

I took the pair of them down Rudyard and its a long railway line and lined either side most of the way with trees little Tommy went round just about every single tree he could , someone comes along and trying to hold Tilly and untangle Tommy at the same time look like a right d1ck I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 17:34

Darcy-may wrote:

I have this too thumbs up

Got this today Big Grin Jen's out trying it now as her and her friend are walking duty this evening , looks good , strong and comy , the clips are pretty beefy too

Thanks for the recommendation peeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 26 2013, 17:45

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Apr 26 2013, 18:57

Hope they get on OK with it Dave thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy