Over priced pup ?

+2
webber12
Steve
6 posters

Go down

Over priced pup ? Empty Over priced pup ?

Post by webber12 Sat Apr 20 2013, 17:15

Hi all, im considering getting a new staffy pup for company for my bitch, i have found a breeder who seems reliable and clued up on what there doing, its a blue male im after the breeder has them priced at £550 i know blue staffys can be more expensive, but is this reasonable considering it wont be Kc registered ? the father and mother have been seen and they look like nice build and fit staffs.. any help or answers would be appreciated not worthy .
webber12
webber12
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Deano and coco
Dog(s) Ages : 9 month and 2 and a half
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Over priced pup ? Empty Re: Over priced pup ?

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 17:36

Blue Staffs shouldn't be more expensive when they're bred by responsible people, and if they're not KC-registered it sounds like the breeders are just greedy people trying to make money out of a popular colour. That plus I doubt they'll have been health tested, so sounds like it's not worth it, in my opinion. You could get a KC-registered puppy with health tested parents for not much more than that. Plus, if both parents are blue, it's best to stay clear of them, because it can create health problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 17:41

I would avoid buying a pup without KC papers from a breeder all you are doing is putting money in the pocket of Back Yard Breeders , you have no clue about health etc only what you see in front of you , £550 is way over the odds for such a pup , I can go to several good breeders and take a pup for £600 with all papers and health checks and know I've got a good dog, and if I want to wait long enough then one of them pups will be blue.

Good breeders breed for the health and wellbeing of the pups , not the colour , a good blue will come from a black / blue or black / black mating and be possible but not expected, a good breeder would not stick on a few quid more for the priveledge and whether you buy the best or worst of the bunch you pay the same price

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Apr 20 2013, 17:44

webber12 wrote:Hi all, im considering getting a new staffy pup for company for my bitch, i have found a breeder who seems reliable and clued up on what there doing, its a blue male im after the breeder has them priced at £550 i know blue staffys can be more expensive, but is this reasonable considering it wont be Kc registered ? the father and mother have been seen and they look like nice build and fit staffs.. any help or answers would be appreciated not worthy .

what colour are parents?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:01

I would avoid this breeder totally personally, doesn't sound responsible at all, and the price is extortionate Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by webber12 Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:03

well apparently they come with a letter from the vet confirming there good health and such.. The parents are both blue, with white chests, im really eager to take the male, been looking for a blue male for sometime now, but not sure if im getting robbed here. hypnotised
webber12
webber12

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:05

webber12 wrote:well apparently they come with a letter from the vet confirming there good health and such.. The parents are both blue, with white chests, im really eager to take the male, been looking for a blue male for sometime now, but not sure if im getting robbed here. hypnotised

wouldn't touch the litter with a barge pole!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:05

You are in my opinion, sorry. Sad

Plus blue the blue mating is very irresponsible of the breeder as it can lead to a lot of health problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by webber12 Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:08

Thanks maybe i will hold out a little longer then, keep looking.. praying
webber12
webber12

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:09

webber12 wrote:well apparently they come with a letter from the vet confirming there good health and such.. The parents are both blue, with white chests, im really eager to take the male, been looking for a blue male for sometime now, but not sure if im getting robbed here. hypnotised

Just because the puppies seem healthy doesn't mean the parents haven't passed on genetic problems to them. The parents should be tested before breeding, but they obviously haven't. Plus two blues together is bad too, it can create health problems in the puppies. I'd pass, you can get responsibly-bred puppies from health tested parents for just a bit more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:11

It's your choice at the end of the day , but hope our advice can be listened too. If it is the cost of a pup that is the problem then please rescue , they are out here if you spend the time looking . People like this should all be closed down , they say they are responsible , the vet shouldn't be touching them in my opinion and then next time round they will think twice about bringing yet another non KC registered litter into the world to end up in rescue because they let them go to a bunch of no marks who lost interest after a few weeks / months (not including you with this as you have been responsible enough to ask for advice)

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:22

to buy a good dog ith be £450-£600 no ££ more Wink

follow our guideline how to buy a blue dog
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17750-how-to-buy-a-dilution-colour-dog

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:29

I agree with above^^^ give it a very wide berth, too many Health risks associated with blue x blue pups Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by webber12 Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:35

Thanks for the advice, much appreiated i have the week to think it over anyway.. so i can do more re search into blue staffys find out more about the health risks etc... Over priced pup ? 15651712how can you not fall in love with that wee bugger though Love Struck
webber12
webber12

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:39

If you're going to buy a pup for that price, make sure that it's not only not from two blue parents, but also registered, & that both parents have been tested for the following...

1. L-2-HGA Hydroxyglutaric Aciduria

In the past few years a small number of Staffords have been diagnosed with a metabolic disorder, its clinical name is L2 hydroxyglutaric aciduria or L-2-HGA. This condition manifests itself in varied ways with affected dogs displaying behavioural changes and dementia, anxiety attacks, having full blown seizures, as well as exercise intolerance and ataxia (unsteady gait), tremors and muscular stiffness. Dogs from totally different bloodlines have been found to be sufferers and the number of affected dogs diagnosed has risen. The disorder (and a similar linked disorder D-2 HGA) is found in humans, again very rare, but nevertheless devastating for those families affected by it. The disorder has an autosomal recessive method of inheritance, which means that both parents must be carriers of the affected gene to produce affected offspring.

Through excessive hard work not only on behalf of the Animal Health Trust at Newmarket and by people submitting blood and urine samples from the families of affected animals a genetic test has been determined to identify the carriers of the gene which causes L-2-HGA.

IT IS THEREFORE ADVISABLE THAT ALL BREEDING STOCK BE SCREENED IN ORDER TO ERADICATE THIS CONDITION IN THE FUTURE.
This can be done by submitting a blood sample to the AHT at Newmarket. For instructions on sample collection please download request for DNA testing form HERE

TESTING CAN TAKE UP TO 6 WEEKS FOR RESULTS SO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS DONE IN PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE YOUR PLANNED MATING.

2. HC – HEREDITARY CATARACTS.

It is known that HC is inherited by and automal recessive path (i.e. both parents must be carriers of the defective gene to produce and affected offspring). HC is a progressive condition and this means that although a puppy is not born with cataracts they will start to develop at a juvenile age. (maybe from 8 months onwards), and will progress until the dog is totally blind. This condition is bilateral which means is affects both eyes equally. Thanks to the tireless research by the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket there is a now a DNA Test for Hereditary Cataracts.
For instructions on sample collection please download request for DNA testing form HERE

3. PHPV – PERSITENT HYPERPLASTIC PRIMARY VITREOUS

The mode of inheritance of PHPV is not so clear, but it is known that it is a congenital condition (present at birth) and that it is not progressive. This means that if a puppy is born with PHPV it can be detected by ophthalmic screening from 6 weeks of age and if it is affected, whatever the condition of the problem at that stage it will not change throughout the dogs life.

Either of the above conditions can be operated on, but it is a serious operation and can be traumatic and very expensive. It is not always covered by insurance due to the hereditary nature.

Even though the genetic test is now available for Hereditary Cataracts it is still important to screen for PHPV.

4. PPSC – POSTERIOR POLAR SUBCAPSULAR CATARACT.

This type of cataracts is found in other breeds, particularly the Labrador and Golden Retriever.
It usually remains as a small, punctuate cataract and doesn’t usually lead to sight problems in these two breeds. It has been placed on schedule 3 of the BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme because a number of Staffords that have been through the Scheme have been found to have this type of cataract. This type of cataract cannot be detected through litter screening. The mode of inheritance is unknown and has a variable age of onset. BREEDING STOCK SHOULD BE TESTED ANNUALLY TO DETERMINE THAT THE DOG IS CERTIFIED CLEAR AT THE TIME OF MATING. Eye Testing Clinics

These health tests are very important!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:40

They are all easy to fall in love with, but obviously no point in getting a badly-bred puppy and giving money to people who don't have the dogs' health at heart, when you can give money to responsible breeders and get a very healthy, well bred puppy in return. When you think about it like that, there's no comparison, really. Read the link Steve posted too, that has information about the risks in blue/blue matings.

Back to top Go down

Post by webber12 Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:40

if the parents have patches on them to break up the blue is that still risky ? there not complete blue?
webber12
webber12

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 18:44

Makes no difference. It's the gene that causes the dilution that gives the problem. Two blues have two lots of blue gene & that can lead to severe skin problems - Colour Dilution Alopaecia.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia#254063

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Sat Apr 20 2013, 20:11

We meet a blue/white staffy at the park and he's fine on the white patches but very, very thin on his blue bits, poor dog Sad
Griffin5
Griffin5
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Over priced pup ? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Apr 20 2013, 21:00

If u buy blue. Buy KC Reg

I know of 2 litters with blue males available.

Key points:

Both parents need to be health tested..
Personally I paid £750 each for my blues.

They aren't inbred monstrosities !

Research their parentage
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Sat Apr 20 2013, 21:12

Blue/blue staffs are a touchy subject. This debate has been had on here and got way out of hand.... As I know!!!! Please take all advise given as it is all genuine and from experienced owners. Don't rush into anything. Advise from here is vital and well worth listening to. Big Grin
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Sat Apr 20 2013, 22:42

I hope you find the pup you are looking but please do your research and take your time, it will be worth it in the end.
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:52

Mattylee wrote:Blue/blue staffs are a touchy subject. This debate has been had on here and got way out of hand.... As I know!!!! Please take all advise given as it is all genuine and from experienced owners. Don't rush into anything. Advise from here is vital and well worth listening to. Big Grin

well that debate wasn't about blue and blue mating it was about us give him/her all the advice he needed and totally ignored us becasue he couldn't be bothered to wait and went out and bought a dog from an back yard breeder!!!

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:57

webber12 wrote:Thanks for the advice, much appreiated i have the week to think it over anyway.. so i can do more re search into blue staffys find out more about the health risks etc... Over priced pup ? 15651712how can you not fall in love with that wee bugger though Love Struck

Little stunner , agreed , but you've got to go past this love at first sight stuff. Practically for yourself you are buying an expensive non registered pup with no health checks and you are funding BYB which , I will say again is the reason we have so many problems with staffs

Please do not let your heart rule your head Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 21 2013, 16:08

Can't add anymore to the great advice already given. Just hope you listen to it. It can be very difficult to say no when you see how cute a little puppy is but like already said try to use your head not your heart. There are plenty of great KC breeders who will provide a puppy to fall in love with who will grow up strong and healthy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down