Red faced

4 posters

Go down

Red faced Empty Red faced

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:18

I had to apologise to a chap yesterday. While walking down the meadows I was strolling along chatting to some of our regular walkers, who we know well, with all our dogs off- leash. Next thing Bacchus, unnoticed, had run over to a chap a couple of hundred yards away and walking in the opposite direction. He had two border collies, one of which was on a lead. He grabbed Bacchus' collar and called to me to come get my dog which I did. Although Bacchus is very friendly towards other dogs, and at 9 months old, perhaps a tad over friendly with people, it is nontheless my responsibility to allow other people to walk their dogs unmolested, so I apologised and put him on his lead and took him away. The guy seemed unwilling to chat so I don't know if his dog was frightened or perhaps DA. It may have just been staffy prejudice. This is the first time we have met this chap so he mustn't be a regular as we spend 3-4 hrs a day over there and haven't come across him before. If I do meet him again I will make a point of introducing myself and an on-lead Bacchus.
Although it was encouraging that the other regulars who have known Bacchus from 11 weeks old, thought that the guy had over-reacted, I explained that, as a staffy owner and given their reputation, I accept that I will often have to apologise for behaviour which might be laughed off in another breed. Having said that, all the regulars are very fond of Bacchus and his gregarious nature. There are even a couple of people who have recently confessed that they didn't like staffies before getting to know Bacchus, so that's a positive for the breed.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Red faced Empty Re: Red faced

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:20

I don't think he over reacted at all! I'd have probably done exactly the same, I'm afraid. Sad

I know Bacchus is friendly but his on lead dog might not be. i dont know

Back to top Go down

Post by pag Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:25

Mistakes can be made, but your attitude was right and the fact that you apologised and will make the effort to make amends is a good one.. Hope you get the chance to see him again and explain and in so doing you and Bacchus make another friend. Smile
pag
pag
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:41

at least you acknowledge the etiquette and want to make things right Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:58

Caryll wrote:I don't think he over reacted at all! I'd have probably done exactly the same, I'm afraid. Sad

I know Bacchus is friendly but his on lead dog might not be. i dont know

Agree totally Caryll. I accept that I was in the wrong. Absolutely no excuses. It was the other regulars who thought he over reacted. But I completely understand the other chaps reaction and accept that it is my responsibility to keep my dog under control. I posted this as a reminder to us all, as bull breed owners, how extra careful we have to be. I am also aware that Bacchus's recall is a work in progress, but practise it daily,in conjunction with our training classes.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:06

Dave wrote:at least you acknowledge the etiquette and want to make things right Smile

Thanks Dave. I generally put Bacchus on his lead if I see someone with their dog on lead, for the very reasons Caryll has pointed out. But I was distracted and the wee man was romping quite happily with his pals. Just hope I get the chance to make amends.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:20

You never know, if you make an effort to explain next time you see him, he might join the walking group! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 12:45

Caryll wrote:You never know, if you make an effort to explain next time you see him, he might join the walking group! thumbs up

That would be the ideal outcome.
BTW a new fur baby joined us today. A middle aged lady with a 15mth old Westie who was delighted to find a group of friendly people, and dogs for Daisy to play with. The wee girl certainly enjoyed her run about. That's 3 different Westies we bump into on a regular basis, Hamish, Harry and Daisy.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Sat Apr 20 2013, 15:15

reuben wrote:
Caryll wrote:You never know, if you make an effort to explain next time you see him, he might join the walking group! thumbs up

BTW a new fur baby joined us today. A middle aged lady with a 15mth old Westie who was delighted to find a group of friendly people, and dogs for Daisy to play with. The wee girl certainly enjoyed her run about. That's 3 different Westies we bump into on a regular basis, Hamish, Harry and Daisy.

Don't get none of this where I live. Let on to fellow dog walkers, they either grunt at u, ignore u or say hi and quickly walk away. thumbs down shame really
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 16:03

Let's hope you bump in to him again to clear the air Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20 2013, 16:18

I don't think he over-reacted, for whatever reason he didn't want a dog running up to him and his dogs, which is fair enough. I do think you handled it well though, and it can be a bit embarrassing when it's out of the blue.

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 17:18

Mattylee wrote:
reuben wrote:

Don't get none of this where I live. Let on to fellow dog walkers, they either grunt at u, ignore u or say hi and quickly walk away. thumbs down shame really

We are really lucky here. Have met lots of very friendly dog people and tend to bump into them on a daily basis. As a result most of us have become friends.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Apr 21 2013, 16:09

wish everyone was as good as you. My dog a staffy regularly when on the lead gets other dogs coming up to her jumping all over her and they don't say a word, would be a totally different matter if my dog did it to theirs though. You did the right thing
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Red faced Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22 2013, 03:57

We all make mistakes, it only takes a second for these pups to notice something that we haven't Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down