Getting annoyed now

+2
Sazzle
otisthestafford
6 posters

Go down

Getting annoyed now Empty Getting annoyed now

Post by otisthestafford Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:28

I love Otis dearly but he does test my patience with almost everything having to go in his mouth when we are out on a walk! Wood, plastic... you name it he wants it! at wits end I have my hands in his mouth all the time - which thankfully he lets me do.
We tell him to leave it which he does selectively and other times he just stands there chomping away looking very pleased with himself! Is this something he will grow out of?

otisthestafford
otisthestafford
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Getting annoyed now Empty Re: Getting annoyed now

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:31

With training he should grow out of it. Loki's the same with the looking pleased for himself part Laughing it gets annoying because he even eats bones found in the field, sometimes he listens, sometimes he doesn't. It's just a case of continuing to teach him leave it and drop it. Practice it a few times a day for five minutes, start off getting him to leave a low-value thing and treat him with a high-value thing, and work from there. When he's great and listens at home with no distractions, that's when you can practice it more outside and on walks. Just keep at it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:33

Daisy is worst for picking up food, like rank takeaway remnants on the pavement!! I have to really watch her coz she's quick!!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:40

Yeah he will deffo grow out of it! All staffs, especially young ones chew everything they can get their chops on. Keep on training him with his leave command Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 20:58

Agree with everyone else! Making them leave things really does test your patience, and you do have to keep going and going until they get it but I'm sure with persistent training he'll be fine in no time Smile make sure you test him randomly around the house when he's playing with toys ect. When ebony has the ball (which she's obsessed with) I make her leave and call her to me, she's hesitant at first and will keep glaring at it but I say "no" or "ah ah" then she'll come. She does just drop things as she's walking around when I tell her too now though, took a while but she's fantastic. I'm sure Otis will be the same! Since he's young and probably loves playing try turning it into a game, play with a toy/something he loves, when he leaves it give it him and highly praise then repeat Smile you can also teach the wait and stay command through this too Big Grin Age will deffo play a big part in it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattylee Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:13

Lola's exactly the same. On the field she has most things but bottle tops are her favourite. After a few times she gets the idea of being told no. Be persistent and you'll be fine.
Mattylee
Mattylee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 15/12/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:15

Cheers everyone... When we do his training doing leave it he does really well just think I need to extend it now and get my treats ready whilst I'm walking him. I like the random technique CodlingKid suggested think I need to do that, may encourage him to focus on me more!
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19 2013, 21:25

Darcy is exactly the same, even down to the pleased look on her face lol Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sat Apr 20 2013, 09:23

It could be worse, Tommy (6 months) is constantly sniffing around for other dogs' poos to eat. sick
I am at the end of my tether with him. It's gotten to the stage now where I have to punish him by only letting him walk on lead.
He's learning slowly but every now and then he has a relapse and it's a stern telling off and back on the lead for the rest of the walk.
Bloomooner
Bloomooner
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Sat Apr 20 2013, 09:40

Otis is the worst for this he picks up everything he sees...and my street and surrounding streets are so bad with litter and dog poo cause of irresponsible dog owners. It drives me mad. Anyway, Otis will pick up anything he sees from leftover bits of takeaway, plastic bags, banana peels...etc. this drives me mad so I'm constantly looking out for potential things he may pick up and I have been teaching him a really strong leave command and when he does leave it he gets a treat. Seems to be picking it up and it works 80% of the time but a treat cannot compete with a dumped, cold soggy chippy lol x
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Apr 20 2013, 10:27

Bloomooner wrote:It could be worse, Tommy (6 months) is constantly sniffing around for other dogs' poos to eat. sick
I am at the end of my tether with him. It's gotten to the stage now where I have to punish him by only letting him walk on lead.
He's learning slowly but every now and then he has a relapse and it's a stern telling off and back on the lead for the rest of the walk.

Same with Bacchus. But not all dog poos, some appear to be tastier than others. sick sick I don't tell the wife or he would never get a kiss again, and neither would I because I kiss him...........come to think of it maybe I will tell her Laughing Laughing
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloomooner Sat Apr 20 2013, 11:00

reuben wrote:
Bloomooner wrote:It could be worse, Tommy (6 months) is constantly sniffing around for other dogs' poos to eat. sick

Same with Bacchus. But not all dog poos, some appear to be tastier than others. sick sick I don't tell the wife or he would never get a kiss again, and neither would I because I kiss him...........come to think of it maybe I will tell her Laughing Laughing

Good call, think I'll tell my missus of his filthy habit too. And yes, it does seem that some turds are tastier than others..
Bloomooner
Bloomooner

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Tommy
Dog(s) Ages : 20th October 2012
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down