Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff

4 posters

Go down

Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Empty Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff

Post by daredare Mon Mar 14 2011, 23:54

Hi

I have been brought up with Staffies and when my dog passed at the grand age of 15, I visited the Dogs Trust and adopted Meg. She is a very small Staffie who has been badly mistreated by her previous owners and badly beaten.

It took time to teach Meg to play and that is was ok to run after a ball while on a walk. She is very sweet and generally constantly seeks approval from everyone by giving kisses. She is very close to me but a real sweetie.

Problem is when she attends the vets she becomes very anxious and stressed. (I can conclude that her previous owners didn't take her very often!). She growls and pants excessively and it takes about 3 hours to calm her down after a simple booster. My vets has a lot of students and their method of dealing with her is to strong arm her, hold her down and attempt to muzzle her. This results in greater stress for Meg. I dislike this method and think it is based on a pre-determined view of staffie behaviour by the ignorant and ill-informed.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Vet in the Cardiff area who can handle this behaviour more appropriately. Please help if you can

Thanks from both of us.

daredare
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Empty Re: Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff

Post by gem Tue Mar 15 2011, 00:09

Sorry cant help with the vet but hope your baby forgets her past and has a wonderful future Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Empty Re: Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff

Post by Steve Tue Mar 15 2011, 08:07

Hi & Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Suitable Vet for Staffie in Cardiff Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 10:42

daredare wrote:Hi

I have been brought up with Staffies and when my dog passed at the grand age of 15, I visited the Dogs Trust and adopted Meg. She is a very small Staffie who has been badly mistreated by her previous owners and badly beaten.

It took time to teach Meg to play and that is was ok to run after a ball while on a walk. She is very sweet and generally constantly seeks approval from everyone by giving kisses. She is very close to me but a real sweetie.

Poor little thing - some peopel are absolute b****rds aren't they? I'm glad she's found a safe, happy home now!

daredare wrote:
Problem is when she attends the vets she becomes very anxious and stressed. (I can conclude that her previous owners didn't take her very often!). She growls and pants excessively and it takes about 3 hours to calm her down after a simple booster. My vets has a lot of students and their method of dealing with her is to strong arm her, hold her down and attempt to muzzle her. This results in greater stress for Meg. I dislike this method and think it is based on a pre-determined view of staffie behaviour by the ignorant and ill-informed.

Surprised Definitely change your vets! What a way to try and calm a nervous dog! If I were you I'd strong arm the vets, and tell them in no uncertain terms that you will hold on to her & apart from treatment, they can keep their hands to themselves!

Unfortunately I don't know the Cardiff area, my only dealings with vets in Wales was in the Brecon area. What you could do, is hanf around outside a few vets & wait for people to come out. Then very politely ask them their view of the vets & how they interract with their patients.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 18:04

I'd look for a new vet too.
You could always ask the new vets if you could bring the dog in even when they don't have appointments.
My vets has a large scale in the waiting area which you can use to weigh your dog at anytime you want free of charge.
So I took Blue in a few times when the room has been empty. Quickly weighed him. Give him some treats and left. Im hoping this will start to give him positive memories with the vets

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15 2011, 21:51

Yes, that's what our vet does. It's a good way of reassuring your dog that they're not all horrible!

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Mar 16 2011, 20:53

My vets are great there the same and when ever your waiting in the reception for your appointment there bringing treats over for the dogs and fussing them and then when there having the boosters they will put the dog on the table feed them with treats fuss them until there relaxed kaiser doesnt mind the vets atall because of this and this is why i pay more than most people pay at the vets cos the service is good for the dogs. You need to find a new vet because they dont seem friendly at all and your gir needs to be treated right after all she been through im sure you will found a nice one soon keep looking
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down